spc
Search similar:

uniqs
matt832
join:2003-09-04
Flushing, MI

matt832

So my IP address is fixed with Uverse?

I had ATT DSL for years and switched to Uverse a few months back. I know that whenever I restarted my DSL router I got a new base IP address. I tried doing that with Uverse and I never get a new address.

I was told my address was dynamic, but to me it looks fixed. Is there any easy way to get a new base IP address?
The Gizmo
join:2002-03-12
Pearland, TX

The Gizmo

U-Verse doesn't use PPPoE, so there's no overhead of that, and instead it just uses DHCP. I've heard some people can reset their RG to factory defaults and get a new IP, but other than that there's no easy way to get a new IP. Mine has never changed, and I got it installed back in February.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

There is some hit-or-miss with Factory Resets giving a new IP address. Some claim it works, while many keep getting the same IP

The only (relatively-easily) attained methods of getting a new IP address both involve technician visits:
1) Change to a different 2Wire RG aka RG Swap
2) Change to a different VRAD port aka Port Swap

The U-Verse internet service is in theory a dynamic IP service (unless you buy the true static IP service), but the IP generally does not change. The word "sticky" IP has been used to describe U-Verse IPs

Another way to get a new IP address is if the VRAD Card is changed as well, though this does not happen very often
Hazim
join:2010-06-30

Hazim to matt832

to matt832
I was told to Factory Reset my RG to get a new IP - I did, and it worked. I did it again, but it didn't change. Maybe it only works once?
vengance01
join:2009-03-06
Encino, CA

vengance01 to matt832

to matt832
Think of it as a semi sticky IP. I have had service for 7 months now and still the same IP. The gateway has been reset just a few times and no change. But its not static.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to matt832

Premium Member

to matt832
Our IPs are still dynamic in the sense that AT&T can change them on us without warning. With a true static IP service, AT&T would need to notify us in advance if our IP was going to change.

Getting a new IP does very little to protect your privacy. Even with a frequently changing dynamic IP, your actions can always be tracked back to you as long as the time is logged along with the IP.

Usually people complaining about this got themselves banned from a forum, chat, or game. That isn't a good reason to need a new IP.

anon4life
@qwest.net

anon4life to matt832

Anon

to matt832
First, let me ask, why do you want a new IP address? Is it because you got yourself ban from a forum? Chat room? Dating site?

Anyways, 3 (well... 4) known ways of getting a new IP Address.

1) Factory reset the gate (either through 192.168.1.254 or by holding the reset button for at least 30 seconds)
2) Getting a new gateway.
3) Getting put to a different DSLAM port
4 (not a way that most people like to do but it's doable)) Keep the gateway unplugged for a few days, sooner or later someone is bound to take that IP Address you originally had thus allowing you to get a new IP Address.

There's also another way that's a sure fire way of getting a new address but it involved talking to an agent with the correct access to manually delete the IP address that is correctly associated with your account then doing a factory reset on the gateway so the gateway is forced to talk to the DHCP servers again. That's assuming you know an agent with the correct access to do just that.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by anon4life :

There's also another way that's a sure fire way of getting a new address but it involved talking to an agent with the correct access to manually delete the IP address that is correctly associated with your account then doing a factory reset on the gateway so the gateway is forced to talk to the DHCP servers again. That's assuming you know an agent with the correct access to do just that.
I've talked to agents who have that access, it has been tried, and typically the RG continues to pull the same IP

anon4life
@qwest.net

anon4life

Anon

said by ILpt4U:

I've talked to agents who have that access, it has been tried, and typically the RG continues to pull the same IP
So the agent is actually going into both systems and having a factory reset done on the gateway to get it done? If not, then the agent is doing it wrong (either that or the agent is trying it in wrong system or a factory reset isn't a factory reset). There's a few things that needs to be done prior to the factory reset (and it's also normally recommended to leave the gateway unplugged from getting sync while this is happening to make 100% sure it doesn't try to get itself back into the network while it's being done). It's also possible that they've changed it recently as well in terms of how it's done for all I know.

But in all honestly, though, there's no reason for changing your IP address anyways. If you're stupid enough to get yourself ban from a site you should reflect upon it and move on instead of trying to find a way to get back to the site.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to matt832

Mod

to matt832
jesus christ not this again....

»hotspotshield.com/

there...can we be done now?