join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 edit

1 recommendation

koitsu

MVM

More rate hikes?!

Okay, so this is getting a little silly. I don't mind paying more for service as time goes on (hello inflation, increased cost of living, DAMN THOSE CARL'S JR. BURGERS SURE ARE EXPENSIVE, etc.), but this is indeed the 2nd time this year prices have increased.

As I see it their justification is only partial. I'll break it down per item, with my opinions included. Keep one thing in mind: I only subscribe to Comcast's broadband Internet service (22/5 tier), and I own my own cable modem (SB6120, DOCSIS 3.0).

• New technology -- I can agree with this. DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is indeed "new" technology and it does cost money for the upgrades. I'm keeping in mind that more and more geographic areas (not mine!) are undergoing upgrades. But I thought that's what we were paying for in the previous rate hike? Or was the previous rate hike not enough? Honesty please.

• New features -- what new features does my cable Internet service have? Boost has existed for a few years now. Let me know what those features are so I can make use of them. If I don't make use of them, can I get a credit?

• Additional programming -- I don't subscribe to television service so this doesn't apply. Again, can I get a credit?

• Higher broadband speeds -- this definitely applies, and is fully justified. No complaints.

• Improved customer service -- please justify this. Let me explain what I mean by justify: are you giving your CSRs raises (either in hourly rates or salaries, not sure if they're contracted or full-time)? If so, I'm all for it. Otherwise, how does "improved" customer service cost more? You just get your CSRs to do a better job (sometimes salary increases help with that). On the other hand, you HAVE increased customer service capability -- the ComcastDirect forum here on BBR is proof. Hey wait a minute, doesn't SteveTeow See Profile usually handle those requests? So is HE getting a raise? If not, he damn well should! So again, honesty please.

You see, if a company came forth and said "We're increasing your monthly rate because our CEO and CFO want more money, and our stockholders want higher profits", I'd probably say "Holy crap, you're being honest! And for being so, I'll pay more!" But that's never how capitalism works in the United States, and that's too bad; honesty always taking a back seat to money = makes koitsu a sad panda.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

Re: More rate hikes?!

Someone needs to paytorebrand everything as Xfinity
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic to koitsu

to koitsu
New technology? What are they doing with what we pay now.

The only way to counter a rate hike is to either reduce services or leave comcast outright. Until enough people do that to make comcast take notice, the rate hikes will keep coming.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: More rate hikes?!

and the rate hikes happen to everyone. So you're method of thinking doesn't work.