spc
Search similar:

uniqs
co88dy1
join:2010-07-09
Gypsum, CO

co88dy1

Remove NID from house

I just bought a new house, and there are two Demarcs on the house from 2 separate providers. One NID from one provider is a fiber NID, the other is copper. For my own personal reasons I would like to remove the fiber NID from my house. Is this legal? Can I also cut the fiber to the ground to hide it? Lastly if I can remove the NID, do I have to leave it at the providers office or something?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The rules vary depending on your location and the provider. If you really want the NID removed, you need to contact the provider and ask them to do it.

Fiber is expensive to run and terminate. You potentially face a large damage bill if you remove it yourself without asking.

VorlessChaos
Premium Member
join:2008-11-14
Port Richey, FL

VorlessChaos to co88dy1

Premium Member

to co88dy1
why not keep fiber nid and get copper removed?

Fiber is alot more better then copper.
serpterion
join:2008-06-25
Hagerstown, MD

serpterion

If you never ever intend on going to that provider, then rip it out. It's yours and attached to your house. Though, if you ever want their service, they will re-charge you for a Fiber NID Installation which can be pricey depending on how much fiber they'll need to run to your home. I bet if you call them, they will charge you to remove it as usually telcos don't reclaim NIDs after someone cancels their service....

BankerMama
join:2009-03-10
united state

BankerMama to co88dy1

to co88dy1
I too am only speculating, but I say do not rip it out. It is your house, but it is their equipment. I would call them and give them a chance to retrieve their equipment and if they choose not to remove it, then rip it out. Unless it is a major eyesore, just leave it alone. You never know if you'll need it in the future.