how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scum1

join:2001-06-18
Kemah, TX

How the heck can I get the latest cable box from comcast

Ok so I talked to Comcast and found out they have new hd boxes from Cisco in Houston. So I want to swap my Scientific Atlanta hd box out for one of these. Problem is every time I go to my local service center they don't have any. Their solution is to just keep checking in. So I guess they want me to unhook my old box and drive 30 minutes just to see if maybe they have one. That is BS I say. You can't call and see if they have any. You have to drive there. So what can I do to get the box I want without having to do this. Who can I call besides regular comcast service phone #. Really I just want the "latest" box and it should not involve me making several trips. So what should I do?

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Just because they new boxes from Cisco do not mean that your local office has them. They replace the old ones as needed. Do you replace your Washer dryer Range and frig every year just because it a newer model.
--
Caddy

scum1

Kemah, TX

No but I want the new box. I know they are available in my area and I should be able to get one. This is a constant problem. In the past I had the same issue. They come out with new boxes. I wait months and then decide it's time to upgrade. They are always out at the local store and I waste a trip there. Why should I not have the latest box? I have 4 services with them and I am a long standing customer. Is it wrong to expect better service? I mean I have to drive up to see if they have any? It's not like I expect them to just come out as soon as a new box is released and hand one over. As for a new fridge or washer and dryer. I own those. I pay comcast a monthly fee for each box I have. Big difference there. Thanks for the help

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

Like I said the office is not going to spend thousand of dollars for new equipment when the ones that they got works just has good. If you want your bill to double then they may buy just for you. You do not buy a new washer Dryer every but expect Comcast to buy new equipment every year even they are not needed.
--
Caddy

scum1

Kemah, TX

Well it's not like they don't have them they just run out and there is no way to tell when they have some in stock. Yes I do expect them make them available to me. People get these boxes every day. They have already bought them it is just that they don't have a good way for me to get one. To top it off I did not ask for your opinion on if I should be able to get one. I don't ask a lot from them and pay them a lot of money so I don't think it is too much to ask. You are being no help at all. Do you work for Comcast or are you just a jerk in general? If you don't have an answer then just move along.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

No I do not work for or ever did work for Comcast. I just say the facts. I do not live ina make believe land as you do. The damm jerk here is you. So no one should answer you unless they agree with you.
--
Caddy

riza

join:2001-10-06
Richmond, VA
reply to scum1

every time we get a new box out there is a mad rush of people trying to grab these things... the sad fact is most of the new boxes we get end up not working right chances are very likely your going to be bringing in a working box for a new shinny brick.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

said by riza:

every time we get a new box out there is a mad rush of people trying to grab these things... the sad fact is most of the new boxes we get end up not working right chances are very likely your going to be bringing in a working box for a new shinny brick.
How true... I never get a product while it's on the first cycle anyway. Hell there could be a glitch in the DAC with the firmware on these new boxes next week. So until the second cycle at least i still with old reliable.
--
"Tag em' all and let the service techs figure it out"

scum1

Kemah, TX
reply to scum1

It's not that new. I don't "Rush out" as soon as a new box is available. Heck I waited years to trade in my last one. I usually wait a while. I was swapping out a regular box(motorola) so I figured I would go ahead and swap the HD box as well. I am mainly complaining about the fact that there is no way to check if a new box is available besides driving across town. I don't live in lala land unless that is where you live when you expect some decent customer service. As for being a jerk well if asking a question makes you a jerk then I guess most people here are jerks then. I consider being a jerk making snide comments and providing no answer. Does anyone here have the new cisco?

riza

Richmond, VA

heck for the most part I get alot of request on work orders for change of services to bring particular boxes if you decided to call in be speficic on the make/model it will show up on the work order and I am typically able to go to the warehouse and pretty please my way into getting on for my customers. to bad you not in Richmond, VA I would bring you one...

scum1

Kemah, TX

Thanks Riza... If I put in a request for service like that would it cost me for the service call? I really don't mind picking up the box myself but I hate to waste a trip and gas for nothing. I wish they would hold one for me or at least let me call to see if they have one.

riza

Richmond, VA

typically they do charge a truck roll for change of services but i have been too and have seen many times where there were no charges applied (not sure how they do it but they do) flirt a little bit or something I don't know.. But I'm sure it varies from region to region.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to scum1

when I wanted a new box they actually shipped me one to the local office and put my name on it.
Then when my hd box broke they shipped one to my house and i took the old one back to the office.
Call and see if they can ship one to the office for you or ship it to your house for you.

scum1

Kemah, TX

worth a shot mikedz4 I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

ted_tech

join:2010-05-13
Wrightsville, PA
reply to scum1

Here in PA we are an SA system and have those Cisco branded boxes...we see more trouble with those than the old ones, maybe hold on to the old one till it falls apart

scum1

Kemah, TX

You might be right Ted. It is just frustrating. I actually had them be out of the SA hd box one time when I went there. On my SA 8300 regular box they gave me the other day they said this was the only standard box they had and they would disable the DVR on it. It looks to me like it is working though. Do you think they are going to charge me for a DVR? I don't want or need one.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to scum1

did you call and see if they could ship one to the local office or your house?

scum1

Kemah, TX

Not yet. Think I might just hold off based on what Ted said

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN
reply to scum1

What's so special about this new box?

h8teraid

@comcast.net

I always make sure the job is set up to charge the customer that has working equipment and just wants the new box. Or the customer that wants a box with a clock, or a certain size box to fit there entertainment cabinet. Or a black box to match the cabinet etc etc. I did the same thing when I was in the field and I do the same thing now that I'm on the phones. Your calling in to to change your working services . . so a trip charge applies. We are a business and sending out a technician costs money, the charge covers that cost. The painter does paint your walls for free. Ninety nine percent of the working population does not work for free . .. .

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

If the dvr feature is working than they have a dvr billing code on the account, even if you have a dvr if they don't code it as such it wont activae the dvr feature. It'll just say something along the lines of feature not available. I'd call and make sure that they don't have the billing on your box. One of the major problems that is seen in the Central PA SA areas is that the old 8300's and 8000's run the Passport echo guide, the new RNG200's run the SARA guide and its such a difference it causes people to want that guide removed. There is such a huge difference in those software pieces. The boxes are what they are, some work well, some not so much, I'd say if your box is working completely correct and is giving you no problem I wouldn't worry about the switch

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits
reply to scum1

Keep calling the office you keep driving to and ask them if they have the new boxes yet instead of calling big Comcast.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to scum1

i have one, trust me you dont want it...its essentially the same box.....nothing really has changed, other then headaches....i want my 8300hdc back!!!!

jjv124

Hanover, PA

said by gar187er:

i have one, trust me you dont want it...its essentially the same box.....nothing really has changed, other then headaches....i want my 8300hdc back!!!!
I'd let you have my 8000hd box, but it doesn't have hdmi and it runs passport and I'm sure that wouldn't work on your system.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

said by jjv124:

said by gar187er:

I'd let you have my 8000hd box, but it doesn't have hdmi and it runs passport and I'm sure that wouldn't work on your system.
i dont have the passport...we are in testing phase here with the RNG's....it looks pretty, but its slow, same size HDD, buggy sara software, damn POS!!!!

jjv124

Hanover, PA

yeah the disk size was a pain, but I stuck a esata on mine and I'm happy as a clam. I love the passport software and am not exactly counting down the days til the s25 launch

scum1

Kemah, TX
reply to heat84

I would call the office but they won't give you the # there. You have to drive there to check in person

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by scum1:

I would call the office but they won't give you the # there. You have to drive there to check in person
I you can access a phone the next time you're there(and it doesn't have the number written on it), you can your local ANAC number from it and it will tell you the number. Or you can just call your cell phone from it.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to scum1

comcast isn't allowed to give out the office phone number. Even when they do they can't answer the phone so you have to leave a message and wait for a call back later.

Just call 1800 comcast and see if they can ship one to the office or to you directly.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

Or you can just call your cell phone from it.
My local office IDs all outgoing lines as the main 800 customer support line, not the actual office number. It's done specifically to prevent customers using caller ID or *69 from calling back.

Only customers specifically given the office number with the right extension get through.