spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

beefy314

@pldt.net

Belkin N+ router cutting internet (fiber) speed to 1/3

I have a Fiber connection with a mitsubishi modem and a 100mbit connection.

When the modem is directly connected to the PC I can achieve the full 100mbit download speed. But when connected to the router, I can only get up to 30mbit even if speed test shows a 100mbit connection.

Ports are already open and firewall have been disabled on the router.

Is it a router problem?

jsimmons
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

Hard to tell. According to this article, the N+ has a WAN-LAN routing throughput of 129 Mbit.
See: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···&start=2

I'd make sure your ethernet cables are good (you'd be surprised how a flakey cable can kill your throughput with ethernet retransmission errors) and that your devices are negotiating 100 Mbit full-duplex connections to the router. Duplex mismatches will severely restrict throughput.
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."- Albert Einstein

Peter_UP90

@comcast.net
reply to beefy314

I am having the same exact problem. I have tried everything to figure it out. It is most certainly a router problem. I talked with a friend of mine who is a hardware engineer and he suggested looking into getting 3rd party firmware for the router. I am currently doing that as we speak, when I came across this forum. Keep me posted.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to beefy314

I would suggest that you get the most recent firmware and see if that solves your problem:

Firmware for N+ -- make sure that you ID the correct version of the N+ router [Version 1xxx Firmware or Version 2xxx Firmware]

Also make sure to use a wired connection to upgrade the firmware -- do not use wireless to load the firmware into the router.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

beefy314

@pldt.net

I am currently using the latest firmware and wires are good using cat5e.

Connected directly to the Pc, I get full bandwidth. Passing the router and using same cables, I get half the speed. I checked the cables and they are all good.

How do I know if I'm getting Full duplex connection with the router?

One of my theories is that I have over 200 connections using P2P which is the limit of the router, that's why I can't get full speed?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

said by beefy314 :

One of my theories is that I have over 200 connections using P2P which is the limit of the router, that's why I can't get full speed?
The F5D8235-4 [N+] is not a good P2P system --so you are correct that P2P can dramatically slow down the routers ability to handle throughput. You can mitigate this however by adjusting how your P2P client manages connections and throughput -- following is an example;

Peer To Peer [P2P] clients like BitTorrent - Azureus [Vuze] Good settings have connection options —where you need to limit the number of peer connections; the client lets you set the maximum number of connections for each torrent as well as globally. Assumming 200 maximum number of TCP/IP connections your hardware will handle —then adjust your P2P client's global peer connection limits to handle no more than 50% of the maximum limit.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business
Expand your moderator at work