spc
Search similar:

uniqs
barryry
join:2004-06-30
Knoxville, TN

barryry

Usenet News Server

I don't know if many of you folks use the usenet service that Knology offers free but for me it works very well, good speeds and decent retention time.

I was wondering if there is way to log onto the news.knology.net news server from another ISP.

I have comcast at work.

Me84222
@knology.net

Me84222

Anon

You cant use Knology newsgroup service on a different ISP. You must have a IP address that belongs to knology to use knology's newsgroup service. The download speeds are great. The retention time however sucks compared to premium newsgroup providers. Knology retention goes back to 14 days, premium providers go back anywhere from 500 - 600 days.
barryry
join:2004-06-30
Knoxville, TN

barryry

Yes, I have used giganews for many years and the retention was always excellent.

I guess the keyword here is "Free" and unlimited is also nice.

Thanks for response.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

3 edits

goober22 to barryry

to barryry
I've seen some groups go back up to 30 days, but I've never seen any longer than that. But like others said, it's free. Most ISP have dropped usenet altogether. At least Knology is still providing free, unlimited usenet thru UNS even though it's 15-30 days retention.

I use AstraWeb as a backup and buy "blocks" of data. You can get 180GB for $25. I set my reader (Newsbin Pro) up so that Astraweb is a slave and only downloads from them when UNS (thru Knology) can't provide the data. My last "block" lasted over 9 months.

marcusm88
join:2009-06-29
Augusta, GA

marcusm88

I'm always able to get 60 days retention from knology's usenet server. I just did a test to confirm this was still true.... Something 60 days old downloads fine 61 days fails.

Usenet is a great way to get something when you're in a hurry it always maxes out my conneciton.