share rss forum feed

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..

Destroying Underground Yellow Jacket Nest

So my wife and I have both been stung in our back yard multiple times cutting grass in the past 2 weeks by yellow jackets. At first, I was unable to find the nest, but after my wife was stung today, I made it a point to scour the yard until I found the bastards.

After 45 minutes, I found the entrance to their lair. It's a hole in the ground about 3-4 inches across and was under some dead leaves. There was a huge amount of activity (workers flying in and out) when I found it just now, so I'm gonna hold off on any action until the evening.

That being said, what is the best method for getting rid of these spawns of satan?

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

1 recommendation

Well my dad used to pour gas at them, seemed to work well. I hate being stung.

Hazy Arc

Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
said by themagicone:

Well my dad used to pour gas at them, seemed to work well. I hate being stung.
Tell me about it...when they first sting you, it feels like someone stuck a hot coal on your skin. Then the throbbing pain and itching start. It's miserable.

I had heard about the gas method before, but wasn't sure of the validity of it.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hazy Arc
We waited until the time of decreased swarming which I believe was evening though you can google that. Had netting made from fabric used with canning to strain fruits etc. Winter clothes/netting covering even face over the hat...use a shovel to carefully remove some dirt above ground, set on fire, go back in a little then shovel the nest up (it looked like a large plate of wax ), set that on fire. Saw the queen climbing out and killed her. Never have had another.

PS is a good idea to have one at the door ready to let the other in if have to run quickly
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04

1 edit
reply to Hazy Arc
I just boil a pot of water on the stove then walk out and pour the whole thing into the hole. It cooks all of them and the eggs instantly. You can shove a funnel into the hole then pour the water in that way to get more into the hole. Also look for a 2nd or 3rd hole for the nest! I did the boiling water method twice this year so far and both times I found extra holes to the nest.

Hazy Arc

Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..

4 recommendations

said by ElminsterOld:

I just boil a pot of water on the stove then walk out and pour the whole thing into the hole. It cooks all of them and the eggs instantly. You can shove a funnel into the hole then pour the water in that way to get more into the hole. Also look for a 2nd or 3rd hole for the nest! I did the boiling water method twice this year so far and both times I found extra holes to the nest.
For some reason, I picture myself getting stung AND dropping boiling water on myself.

ElminsterOld

2 edits
reply to Hazy Arc
You can always go out with a can of WD40 and a lighter as well. That will provide protection for anything outside the hole. That's how I handle wasp and bee nests that are attached to my house.

"Nests should be located during the day, so you can see the workers entering and exiting all day. Mark the entry points. Treat at night only when it is dark.

Any treatments should be done at night, because they are all in the nest. They don't see well at night and your chances of being stung are greatly reduced."

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Hazy Arc
Just pour about a pint of gasoline down the hole followed by a match! I'll guarantee you will give any more trouble with yellow jackets! This is spoken from lots of experience.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 edit
reply to Hazy Arc
I destroyed one in my garden with a rototiller, they weren't very happy and I had not run that fast in years.

I used tao have an very old box of DDT type orchard powder and I filled the hole with it so that they walked though it to get into the nest.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to ElminsterOld
said by ElminsterOld:

You can always go out with a can of WD40 and a lighter as well. That will provide protection for anything outside the hole. That's how I handle wasp and bee nests that are attached to my house.
I had a nest of them in my bbq grill. Every time I lit the grill, destroyed the nest, they'd come back the next day. So what I did was I took a can of cooking spray and a lighter. Basically a flame thrower. First set of flames cooked them all and they never came back. The grill was thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

ElminsterOld

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
"It is also a terrible idea to pour gas or kerosene into an underground wasp nest where it poisons the soil."

If you don't care about the soil, ground water, etc. or the fact it's illegal then by all means use gas/kerosene on it.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

]For some reason, I picture myself getting stung AND dropping boiling water on myself.
No one ever said it wasn't going to be painful. Be sure to have the wife recording the video for us to see the fun.

If you don't want to go the boiling water route but are leery on the safety of gasoline, use a garden hose and some dish washing soap. Squirt the soap down first, then jamb the hose down the hole and turn the water on. If you have a good enough seal, you should be able to see if there are any back or side doors to the nest that need plugged. Collapse them down with a shovel after everything has been flooded.

If you are looking for something with more kick, then try the rodenator. However, if it doesn't work, the idea having a entire nest swarm of pissed off flaming wasps isn't real appealing.

Whatever you do, do it at night when they are the most dormant. Also check around your yard and maybe your neighbors to see about any carb or protein sources. Animals and insects go where the food sources are.

ElminsterOld

reply to Hazy Arc
I need one of those Rodenator's!

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Hazy Arc
Just invert a clear glass bowl over the hole.

Its clear, so they can see light, so they dont bother digging a new escape hole. Then in a few days, you'll have a pile of dead wasps inside the bowl.

Do it at dusk so they're all inside the nest.

shdesigns