spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon433

@cox.net

[general] Need some networking help, combining several boxes...

I'm hoping this is the right forum. I'm in desperate need of help.

I am helping a friend with their home network. They bought a very large house and have a crazy network system setup.

Their system contains a linksys access point, a gigabit 16 port switch, a Linksys cable modem, and a linksys Vonage VOIP Box.

I need a basic diagram showing how to hook this up. I don't know where the modem plugs into, i'm thinking the switch and then everything hooks up to the switch including the access point.

I've got the VOIP wiring done. I just have to plug it into the switch.

So can anyone help me? I'd appreciate it! I don't know where what goes in the chain.

Thanks,
Anon

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

Re: [general] Need some networking help, combining several boxes

Is Cox your ISP? If it is, I can move this to our Cox forum for some help with this.

If it isn't Cox then who is your ISP. We may have a forum for them.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2
reply to Anon433

The switch's uplink port needs to be plugged into one of the router's downlink ports.

The access point can be plugged into either the router or switch, which ever is more convenient.

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
kudos:1
reply to Anon433

Cable Modem -> VOIP Box -> Switch <- Access Point

The VOIP box *should* be acting as the router, so that's where the cable modem will plug in. Run a cord from the voip box over to the switch, which will then give all the ports on the switch internet access. Plug the access point into any port on the switch (or voip box too if it has 4 lan ports) and that will give internet access to wireless computers.

--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse Michigan RoadRunner Turbo(15000/1500), Farmington Hills, MI