cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Re: WIN

said by Z80A:

Rant on about a handset you don't even own.
I don't own a lot of things or live in the service area of a lot of companies. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't form thoughts an opinions about the companies that make those things or provide those services...especially when those companies are market leaders.

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23
Ah, so you review products you have never seen or recommend movies you haven't seen?

What we have here is a failure in proportionality.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to Anon
said by Z80A:

But don't let facts get in your way.
Fact is my Android phone doesn't have an antenna issue.
But i think the problem now is that you and other iPhone4 owners expected something more from Steve and Apple than, 'here's a free case. now stfu and go away.'
--
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and i'm all outta bubblegum.

Z80A
Premium
In your experience your phone doesn't have an antenna issue.

In my experience neither does mine. I would return my phone if it were giving me problems. It isn't and they aren't for millions of users.

Again, I'm not sure why this is so difficult. Any iPhone owner not happy can return the phone. The biggest complainers are those who don't own the handset.

Meanwhile users aren't calling Apple in droves over the attenuation. They aren't flooding back with returns. The media has blown this way out of proportion. Are some users affected by the attenuation problem? Sure, just as some users of Blackberry and Android handsets are. Just because YOU haven't had an issue doesn't mean that no one with your handset has, just as someone with an iPhone 4 having an issue doesn't mean EVERYONE has the issue or even a large percentage have any issue.
--
"Our goal (was to make) a billion phones Flash-enabled by 2010...We're actually going to get 1 billion Flash-enabled phones by 2009." -Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch in Nov 2008.
Expand your moderator at work

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to Z80A

well, i will hand it to the media. they love it when a man falls down.
but you have to admit, kind of a shitty 'fix' to a technical design problem.
--

Z80A
Premium
Then many of these smartphones have a "design problem" because many have attenuation issues depending on how they are held.

What is "shitty" about being able to return the phone? What is "shitty" about getting a free case?

What did HTC do for the Eris? What did Blackberry do for the 9700? Nothing. If you weren't happy, you returned them. If you didn't have any problems, you kept them.

It's common sense.
--
"Our goal (was to make) a billion phones Flash-enabled by 2010...We're actually going to get 1 billion Flash-enabled phones by 2009." -Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch in Nov 2008.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

reply to Z80A
said by Z80A:

Ah, so you review products you have never seen or recommend movies you haven't seen?
No. But if all the trailers that you did see sucked, legitimate professional reviews said it was a bad movie, and the basic plot of the movie was ridiculous, it's not a huge leap to draw your own conclusion that there's probably something wrong with the movie.

That's what we have here. There are countless videos demonstrating the issue ("trailers"). Most reviews that looked for it has found the signal issue, even those from fairly truthful impartial sources such as Consumer Reports ("professional reviews"). And basic RF design tells you that you are going to have these very problems with an exposed antenna ("ridiculous plot").

I don't beleive I've ever made a commented as if I was an owner. My only comments have been in general towards Apples reaction towards the phone, along with the concept behind the problem.

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A
said by Z80A:

Then many of these smartphones have a "design problem" because many have attenuation issues depending on how they are held.

What is "shitty" about being able to return the phone? What is "shitty" about getting a free case?

What did HTC do for the Eris? What did Blackberry do for the 9700? Nothing. If you weren't happy, you returned them. If you didn't have any problems, you kept them.

It's common sense.
Common sense is not so common, if it were people would not be buying iphones now lol
--
Assuming Direct Control.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A
i don't know what HTC or Blackberry did because i bought a phone that seems to work as it was said it would.

fyi: my Droid doesn't have any attenuation issues. and i haven't heard of anyone that owns the same model having attenuation problems.

what i am saying is that Steve & Apple won't be honest with its customers and say, 'there is a problem.' god forbid Steve and Apple own up and have some integrity about their flagship product. oh wait. the lawyers said any hint of a design flaw could subject the company shareholders to massive losses in Apple stock.
--

Z80A
Premium
reply to Dread

Gasp...because they don't have any problems with the iPhone 4.

Z80A
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Harddrive
Steve clearly laid out the causes and when it a user could see this attenuation effect. Then he offered a couple of solutions; a free case who anyone who otherwise likes the phone and wants to keep it. Or accepting the return for a full refund so the user can buy a competing handset. Seems quite reasonable.

No matter what Steve said today, there would be plenty here still calling him a douche. If he didn't offer the bumper I would be one of them.
--

Z80A
Premium
reply to Anon
Do you have one or are you another poster complaining about the performance of a product you don't actually own?

TCub
Premium
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH
kudos:4

3 recommendations

reply to Anon
Who cares if he/she has never used or even plans on owning one? Apple makes more than just iPhone's. As an avid Apple user (MacBook, iPad) I see this as a serious issue.

These are expensive devices I've invested in and my MacBook Pro is damn near vital to me as it's my main piece of equipment for school (majoring in Game and Simulation Programming).

I choose Apple as my main computer because I saw they had a good reputation for quality. I need something that will work today and tomorrow and should a problem arise, I need to know someone will be there to correct it immediately.

If they're turning their backs on iPhone customers, what kind of treatment will I get if something happens to my MacBook Pro? How about my iPad?

This is just a sad time for people who love Apple products. Hell, call me a fanboy if you want.. I'm pretty pissed that a company I've stood behind, invested in, and toted as producing the highest quality electronics is coming up with shit like this.
--
(Most likely) Sent from my iPad.
PSN ID: TyKres

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

2 edits
reply to Z80A
I own a 3GS, my brother who lives here got himself the iphone4 for his new job and he DOES have the problem. I'm getting myself the iphone4 myself but I want the white one and hopefully get it. It's why I pay attention for any JB news.

I'm never getting an iPad btw

P.S There are also 2 itouch and an iMac in the household for the parents. You are really paying attention to all the posts here aren't you Mr. Fanboy.
--
Filled with magic and pixie dust

Z80A
Premium
Then my advice to you is KEEP YOUR RECEIPT. If you have the problem return it or take them up on a free case if they're still giving them away by the time the white ones show up.

But be careful. If you get the phone and don't have a problem...and admit as much, you will be branded a sheep.

Kool-Aid tastes great.
--

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world
kudos:1
said by Z80A:

Then my advice to you is KEEP YOUR RECEIPT. If you have the problem return it or take them up on a free case if they're still giving them away by the time the white ones show up.

But be careful. If you get the phone and don't have a problem...and admit as much, you will be branded a sheep.

Kool-Aid tastes great.
Good suggestion, and pass the Kool-Aid please

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to TCub

That's a good level headed post
--
Filled with magic and pixie dust

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to TCub

said by TCub:

Who cares if he/she has never used or even plans on owning one? Apple makes more than just iPhone's. As an avid Apple user (MacBook, iPad) I see this as a serious issue.

These are expensive devices I've invested in and my MacBook Pro is damn near vital to me as it's my main piece of equipment for school (majoring in Game and Simulation Programming).

I choose Apple as my main computer because I saw they had a good reputation for quality. I need something that will work today and tomorrow and should a problem arise, I need to know someone will be there to correct it immediately.

If they're turning their backs on iPhone customers, what kind of treatment will I get if something happens to my MacBook Pro? How about my iPad?

This is just a sad time for people who love Apple products. Hell, call me a fanboy if you want.. I'm pretty pissed that a company I've stood behind, invested in, and toted as producing the highest quality electronics is coming up with shit like this.
Great post - deserves a quote.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
reply to Z80A
I dunno, but when Consumer Reports hooks this thing up to highly calibrated bench top equipment, take signal readings, and finds out the damn thing is a design flaw, I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE ONE TO KNOW IT'S SCREWED UP.

Just like I don't have to own a Yugo to know they sucked, I don't have to drive a Pinto to know it blows up, and I didn't have to use Windows ME for more than 30 seconds to say to myself "this sucks".

Stop defending your trinket maker and admit Steve has certainly laid an egg on this one. With both the design and the response to the screw up.

When you're the but of the joke on Letterman's top 10 list, the jig is up, and you look like a foolish fanboi with blinders for even trying to defend them this way.

EPIC FAIL......
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

Z80A
Premium
reply to cdru

Consumer Reports rated the phone #1 with 76 points, higher than the 2nd place 3GS and Evo (tied with 74 points).

But that issue is rarely mentioned by the press looking to blow this situation way out of proportion.
--

Z80A
Premium

1 edit
reply to N3OGH
Consumer Reports actually REVIEWED the product and rated it the #1 smartphone. I'm a subscriber and read the item and those reviews are where CR derrives their recommendations and on occasion the top scoring item doesn't get recommended. But normally no one gives a shit that the BMW 135i scored highest but didn't get recommended. No one gives a shit that the Sony Bravia got the top score but no recommendation. But when it's the iPhone, suddenly it is FP news including at CR. Never in all my years as a subscriber do I recall CR running multiple news items about why they didn't recommend something.

I actually OWN the device and it works flawlessly. I'm not going to say the phone sucks when it works perfectly.

And what I said is Apple should get off their B.S. and offer up the bumpers. And they did. I think that is a great solution for those wanting to keep the phone. All others are free to return it. It's really not that hard.

You look like a person who reviews films they have never seen. Lots of movies get shit reviews but are plenty entertaining. You can take reviews into consideration but you shouldn't take them as gospel.

Take of your own blinders and look not at the yellow journalism, but how is the issue actually affects iPhone 4 users if at all.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A
said by Z80A:

But that issue is rarely mentioned by the press looking to blow this situation way out of proportion.
Well, if you had a car that was a CR top choice in every category except had a small problem where a significant number of vehicles would stall if you held the steering wheel at the 10 & 2 position, don't you think that would be something to mention and might garner a negative recommendation? Yeah you could put a steering wheel cover on, or try to take it back...but why spend so much money on something that has such a fundamental flaw that shouldn't been found and fixed long before it even made it to production?

Remember that the iPhone is a PHONE. What good is it if you can't use it as such, or at least have significant issues, when you touch it?