join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru to Z80A

MVM

to Z80A

Re: WIN

said by Z80A:

Ah, so you review products you have never seen or recommend movies you haven't seen?
No. But if all the trailers that you did see sucked, legitimate professional reviews said it was a bad movie, and the basic plot of the movie was ridiculous, it's not a huge leap to draw your own conclusion that there's probably something wrong with the movie.

That's what we have here. There are countless videos demonstrating the issue ("trailers"). Most reviews that looked for it has found the signal issue, even those from fairly truthful impartial sources such as Consumer Reports ("professional reviews"). And basic RF design tells you that you are going to have these very problems with an exposed antenna ("ridiculous plot").

I don't beleive I've ever made a commented as if I was an owner. My only comments have been in general towards Apples reaction towards the phone, along with the concept behind the problem.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A

Premium Member

Consumer Reports rated the phone #1 with 76 points, higher than the 2nd place 3GS and Evo (tied with 74 points).

But that issue is rarely mentioned by the press looking to blow this situation way out of proportion.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru

MVM

said by Z80A:

But that issue is rarely mentioned by the press looking to blow this situation way out of proportion.
Well, if you had a car that was a CR top choice in every category except had a small problem where a significant number of vehicles would stall if you held the steering wheel at the 10 & 2 position, don't you think that would be something to mention and might garner a negative recommendation? Yeah you could put a steering wheel cover on, or try to take it back...but why spend so much money on something that has such a fundamental flaw that shouldn't been found and fixed long before it even made it to production?

Remember that the iPhone is a PHONE. What good is it if you can't use it as such, or at least have significant issues, when you touch it?

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 edit

Z80A

Premium Member

It wouldn't have gotten a top choice if the issue affected so many users.

And I don't agree with the "just touching it" notion. I touch my phone every day and never have a problem, so evidently there is more to it than merely touching it.

This is just another example of the lack of perspective as to the seriousness of the issue. Having a problem by merely touching it would be a serious problem and would affect all users but that isn't the issue with the iPhone 4.

If you cup the phone in your left hand during a call or other data event AND you aren't using a case AND you are in an area with poor signal strength you MAY have an issue with signal strength.

Certainly there are some users who during normal use of the phone do those things, but that isn't all users, not even remotely close and given the return rate is 1/3 of the 3GS and that dropped call statistics are nearly identical to those of the 3GS which CR said didn't have this particular issue obviously the problem isn't the widespread nightmare that media outlets would have us all believe.

For people like Karl who have the problem it's a major problem, FOR THEM, but a jacket you bought that doesn't fit is also major problem in that respect. So what do you do? Return it and get one that fits your style whether it's size or grip.

IOW, if the phone doesn't fit your style, return it just as if someone who bought a Droid X later may find out it's a bit too big for single hand use would.
« Oh wellWhat bugs me »
This is a sub-selection from WIN