spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

[Line Problem] Service Interruptions - Thunder

I know they say where there is thunder, there is lightning but I am noticing as of late that every time it thunders (no lightning visible) the connection resets?

Electrical Interference?
Bad Grounding along Network path?

Before you suggest, the last time the tech came to the house switched the DSL to a dedicated pair from the NID to prevent associated Line Noise, and checked the inside wiring which passed all his tests.

Could this be an issue at the DSLAM, along the line (short) or something of the like? Think I might actually get someone at ATT/BS to investigate it if I asked, or will I get the standard canned responses to almost every question I ask?

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Do you have a Westell 6100 modem or a Westell Versalink 327W wireless gateway?
cubguy
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

I Believe its the 6100

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Is it a Westell modem? If it is then is it black?
cubguy
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

Yes, Black, Square, Green Lights.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

1 edit

Airwolf7

Premium Member

There is a very easy solution to your problem.

Get rid of the Westell 6100 modem or Westell Versalink 327W wireless gateway. Get yourself a Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem or a 2Wire 2701HG-B wireless gateway.

There is a known issue with the Westell 6100 modem or Westell Versalink 327W wireless gateway that causes it to lose sync with the DSLAM during thunderstorms. These thunderstorms can even be very far away from you and still cause problems.

I don't know why these modems do what they do during thunderstorms, but they do it sometimes under certain conditions. Your just unlucky.

EDIT: I know that what I said sounds crazy, but I'm being for real about this happening.
cubguy
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

I had heard of that before,that is about the Westell having some issues in storms. I figure I am lucky that I even have DSL as far out of town as I am. I am one house from the end of the NXX line from our CO (about 13 road miles out of town) and about just under 5 miles from the nearest (that I know of) DSLAM. In March, we began to get notices that we could upgrade to ULTRA from lite. I am figuring that is in conjunction with the fiber they have been laying around (big orange pipe on a roll type stuff?) Saw them as close as 3 miles from the house with it where they turned and went down another road. (grrrr)
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

Airwolf is correct. The 6100 could filter the signal from the noise much better than other modems of its day but it does poor against impulse noise.
et1212
join:2005-10-23
Mableton, GA

2 edits

et1212 to cubguy

to cubguy
I used to have the same problems with 6100 modem and the problem went away after I switched over the a Motorola modem (forgot which model it was).

The Motorola modem, however, is a piece of junk (a well known fact) and died in less than 6 months. In the process of diagnosing the problem, I switched back to 6100 to see if the connection was fine (I am not too fond of calling any IT support as it wastes too much time). Since the connection was back with 6100, I left the 6100 in there. I got busy so I forgot to call AT&T to have them replace the Motorola modem.

Sure enough, the lightening problem occurred again. I did some searching and found that the problem could be casued by any loose phone wire connected to the wall jack without a DSL the filter. I searched around the house and found the culprit in a spare bedroom. I unplugged the wire and waited for the next thunderstorm -- and the problem is gone!!

I still have the 6100 and it is still going strong after 5 years without any more problem during thunder storms (which occurs often in Atlanta).

Just my personal experience... (make sure you don't have any phone wired connected to the jack without the DSL filter).

I often think about switching to U-verse for a faster connection that costs about the same per month, however, the 149 upfront cost discouraged me from doing so.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Airwolf7

to Airwolf7
The same problem with Westell 6100 modem
cubguy
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

Purchased and installed a 2701HG-B. I am getting almost double the speed I was before: (A few examples)

Can even get these speeds internationally:

(Birmingham, UK)

We shall see what happens next time there is a storm. Thanks for all your help guys.
Mumzy
join:2009-07-30
Olive Branch, MS

Mumzy

My mom also had a Westell 327w modem and every time you could hear thunder, the modem would lose sync. I originally tried At&t tech support but I guess my problem wasn't in their script (I don't think she believed me anyways). I ended up buying a 2-wire 2700hg-b and haven't had any more disconnects.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7 to cubguy

Premium Member

to cubguy
I glad that things are running better. I think things will probably be OK during the next thunderstorm.