Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

2.4Ghz Biquad Antenna Shows No Signal Gain With Sprint 598u

Click for full size
Just thought I would post the results of this antenna for anyone else thinking about using it. Well I live in a rural area that has no cable, or dsl. It was dial-up or satellite, and those two options were horrible, because I wanted be able to game online. I came across Evdo and found it to be my only option, so I bought the Sprint 598u and have been using the coffee can antenna mod on Evdo Tips and Tweaks and that has gotten me from no bars to 3 bars. I can game and download files great, but now that summer has arrived my signal has dropped quite a bit. So I have an old Biquad antenna from my Wifi Dish and connected that to my modem, and the results were not good. It appears that it could not recognize the Evdo signal due to the frequency mismatch. Looks like I should have followed the PCS Biquad on Trever Marshall's web site. So now I'm just going to buy a 24dbi grid antenna, as I get full signal a mile away from my house. Picture of my Biquad setup is in my attachment.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
the grid will certainly improve your signal
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

1 edit
I can't wait to get the grid, the best part is If I ever move into the city, there is a lot of wifi access points I can get with my router.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Dexter1992
Humpfff....dunno what happened to my post.

Anyway, that biquad is for 2,400 MHz and Sprint uses 1,900 MHz.

I thought for a moment your were trying to use the dongle's 2.4 but when you mentioned EVDO...

You'll want this antenna »www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22106

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to Dexter1992
I built a double biquad for the PCS band (1900 Mhz). It was based on Trever Marshall's design, I mounted it inside a plastic waterproof enclosure for outdoor use. The antenna worked very good, producing 13 db gain. Half of the antenna was cut for Tx and the other for Rx.
Receive half:
Each side of quad 38.5 mm
Transmit half:
Each side of quad 39.5 mm

The doubl biquad made a nice project but I recommend the HyperGain® HG2424G grid antenna. It has a very broad frequency response. Some years ago the antenna was tested with professional RF lab equipment and produced around 23 db gain on the PCS band.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to WHT
That Yagi will work great with LOS but forget it with NLOS. The 2.4 grid works fine on PCS (1900 MHz). There are many that can attest to that. Slight mis-match in frequency with little consequence.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/