uniqs
share rss forum feed

PerfectCode

join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

End the Cap!

Dear Comcast,

Caps suck, are lame, and bs excuse for laziness. Please remove the bandwidth cap on residential tiers, for the betterment of humanity.

If this cant be done for all tiers, then AT LEAST do it for 50Mbps and 100Mbps tiers.

"Hardcore internet users" dont all have as big of pockets as beachintech apparently does, so we cant all afford 100Mbps at $200/m with a $200 activation (modem swap). Nor can a lot of us afford business class service with all the things we already pay for (triple play) converted to business class prices.

*Jack Black voice from Year One* Who's with me!?

"Dream big! But not over 250GB/m..." - Comcast

Expand your moderator at work

neo_sapien

join:2005-02-10
Gaithersburg, MD

2 recommendations

reply to PerfectCode

Re: End the Cap!

Yeah Comcast, seriously, end the cap.

I could go on about how bandwidth is so cheap that you really don't need a cap to remain outrageously profitable, or about how it's beneficial to the nation to have high-bandwidth applications, or list all the bonafide services that use a great deal of bandwidth, but I won't, I'll just leave you with this: Verizon has no cap. You can better compete with Verizon by dropping the cap.

Comcast's cap is one of the factors that is contributing to my decision to leave for Verizon when FiOS becomes available here (the other factors being slower downstream/upstream speeds, disregarding the gimmick 50/100mbps downstream-only tiers with ~10x slower upstream that cost however many hundreds of dollars a month, overly compressed low quality HD channels, and fewer HD channels compared to FiOS).

dan1rulz

join:2002-04-13
Crystal Lake, IL
reply to PerfectCode

The only problem I have with the cap is they have not expanded it since they introduced it. It should grow by some percentage each month.

Com5

@comcast.net

I agree with you.

gchris2203

join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

I do agree there should be a way to increase it somehow for a price though. You have to figure a good majority of customers get nowhere close to hitting the cap..I mean literally nowhere close. Then you have users that hit the cap and exceed it every month.

These users generally fall into two pools first being a gamer house with many people playing games at all hours of the night, aswell as streaming netflix and other video online via hulu and the like.

Then you have the other crowd that breaks the cap cause of illegal downloads.

If I had to take a shot in the dark I would almost guess that a majority of the users breaking the cap would have some sorts of illegal downloads going on. Just my personal guess but Im betting its not far from wrong.

So idk it is a double sided fence. Because even with the increase in online activities its still hard for the average users to break the cap on any sort of regular basis. But there are some legitimate honest users that break the cap legally and could use some extra bandwith so I can see your point.

PerfectCode

Portland, OR

2 edits

Indeed.

I download games from Xbox Live, PS Store, Steam, Games for Windows Live. Stream HD 720-1080p videos from Xbox Live, PS Network, Netflix, Fancast, Hulu, Youtube, ustream.tv, justin.tv, and even games through OnLive. Download music from the Zune Marketplace, Amazon MP3 store, iTunes. Other websites and services I use to stream media, Pandora Internet Radio, Last.fm, Zune.net (Zune Pass), IGN, Gamespot, NBA.com, etc...

Not to mention uploading videos to Youtube, Skype video calls with family and friends, and streaming to websites like justin.tv and ustream.tv with high bit rates for clear/smooth HD video.

This to name a few.

Edit: At least there is no cap on TV... yet.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to gchris2203

There is - get a business account. Pay a little more and no cap.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

LarryE

join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to PerfectCode

said by PerfectCode:

Indeed.

I download games from Xbox Live, PS Store, Steam, Games for Windows Live. Stream HD 720-1080p videos from Xbox Live, PS Network, Netflix, Fancast, Hulu, Youtube, ustream.tv, justin.tv, and even games through OnLive. Download music from the Zune Marketplace, Amazon MP3 store, iTunes. Other websites and services I use to stream media, Pandora Internet Radio, Last.fm, Zune.net (Zune Pass), IGN, Gamespot, NBA.com, etc...

Not to mention uploading videos to Youtube, Skype video calls with family and friends, and streaming to websites like justin.tv and ustream.tv with high bit rates for clear/smooth HD video.

This to name a few.

Are you trying to set a Guinness world record or something?

tonix

join:2008-08-10
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to PerfectCode

said by PerfectCode:

Indeed.

This to name a few.

you stream on jtv. i follow someone on jtv and he streams at 16000 sometimes higher and i can't even watch it. FME Settings= Bitrate 2000 to 4500kbs
i wonder how much bandwidth per hour he uses to stream 1080p videos

PerfectCode

Portland, OR

1 edit
reply to LarryE

Nope, not trying to set any records. I am not aware of a record for such.

said by tonix:

said by PerfectCode:

Indeed.

This to name a few.

you stream on jtv. i follow someone on jtv and he streams at 16000 sometimes higher and i can't even watch it. FME Settings= Bitrate 2000 to 4500kbs
i wonder how much bandwidth per hour he uses to stream 1080p videos
Cool. He streams at 16000kbps? Ha, quite a bit of overkill, even for 1080p. Are you talking about the WoW Multiboxing channel?

tonix

West Palm Beach, FL
reply to PerfectCode

no here is his channel he hasn't been on in a while »www.justin.tv/godstruassassin03
i am certain that he has no problems streaming in 1080p with almost 34mb/s upload lol
i watched the WoW Multiboxing channel and sometimes it lags don't know why i guess it might just be because i have 8 mb/s download

PerfectCode

Portland, OR

1 edit

said by tonix:

no here is his channel he hasn't been on in a while »www.justin.tv/godstruassassin03
i am certain that he has no problems streaming in 1080p with almost 34mb/s upload lol
i watched the WoW Multiboxing channel and sometimes it lags don't know why i guess it might just be because i have 8 mb/s download
Oh him, I've seen his stream before. Yeah, def should have no problem streaming 16000Kbps with 35Mbps of upstream bandwidth available. Just the JTV servers and viewers that would have to be up to spec. Verizon FiOS ftw.

tonix

West Palm Beach, FL
reply to PerfectCode

i wonder if allied fiber would lease fiber to isps in south florida or atleast become a isp. since south florida is in Phase II of their plan

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to PerfectCode

Simple.

Pay the actual price your consumer broadband WOULD cost were it actually priced per your use. See how that works out.

I'll take my DSL that doesn't cap and gives me quite decent speed.

15 minutes to d/l a movie that is 1:40 long for $50/mo...you do the math kids.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
reply to PerfectCode

said by PerfectCode:

"Hardcore internet users" dont all have as big of pockets as beachintech apparently does,
And then....

said by PerfectCode:

No, I have both Comcast and Qwest. Only Comcast cant be used right now due to bandwidth capola

How many people on this site have deep enough pockets for 2 ISPs?? Why not dump Qwest, and spring for the Comcast business class?

PerfectCode

Portland, OR

said by baineschile:

said by PerfectCode:

"Hardcore internet users" dont all have as big of pockets as beachintech apparently does,
And then....

said by PerfectCode:

No, I have both Comcast and Qwest. Only Comcast cant be used right now due to bandwidth capola

How many people on this site have deep enough pockets for 2 ISPs?? Why not dump Qwest, and spring for the Comcast business class?
Seriously?

Qwest DSL for 5Mbps/896kbps (highest offered) is $35/m. Comcast business is much much more expensive if I were to keep my services and pay the business class prices for it.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

reply to PerfectCode

One more point.....

said by PerfectCode:

Dear Comcast,

Please remove the bandwidth cap on residential tiers, for the betterment of humanity.
Maybe you should stop:
quote:

and go volunteer at you local soup kitchen. Caps are an issue, but betterment of humanity? Cmon....

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to PerfectCode

quote:
Seriously?

Qwest DSL for 5Mbps/896kbps (highest offered) is $35/m. Comcast business is much much more expensive if I were to keep my services and pay the business class prices for it.

In my area, resi is $45, and busi is $59 (i havent had busi since janurary, so prices may have gone up a little). Thats a difference of $14 a month, which last I calculated, is less than $35

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit
reply to PerfectCode

5megs is the best you can get?

Riiight...blame the provider for where you live.

I can get triple that and I live in a 110yo crumbling apt. building in a city of 250K.

I don't have cable tv..why the hell would I when I have the Internet I pay for to get it for me? So, that means Comcrap would cost me over $70/mo. for internet.

No thx.

PerfectCode

Portland, OR
reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

quote:
Seriously?

In my area, resi is $45, and busi is $59 (i havent had busi since janurary, so prices may have gone up a little). Thats a difference of $14 a month, which last I calculated, is less than $35
You are not understanding. I pay Comcast for phone service, TV, and internet (triple play). Comes out around $215/m... The internet is 50Mbps for $100/m. Business class with all of that is much much more expensive...

PerfectCode

Portland, OR
reply to caffeinator

said by caffeinator:

5megs is the best you can get?

Riiight...blame the provider for where you live.

I can get triple that and I live in a 110yo crumbling apt. building in a city of 250K.

Correct, Qwest offers 5Mbps down as their highest tier in my area.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

3 edits
reply to PerfectCode

said by PerfectCode See Profileyou are not understanding. I pay Comcast for phone service, TV, and internet (triple play). Comes out around $215/m... The internet is 50Mbps for $100/m. Business class with all of that is much much more expensive...
So, you pay for what you want. So do I.

If CC could beat the deal I have now and not cap me...I'd switch in a heartbeat. I called 'em and asked.

They can't.

I get 7/896 with no real caps and a landline for about $40/mo. I pay extra for a local ISP. Comes to about $55/mo. and is totally worth it not to deal with Qwest routing or 'support'.

Sorry if that isn't what you can haz.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

PerfectCode

Portland, OR

Thanks and congrats?

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to caffeinator

I get 7/896 with no real caps and a landline for about $40/mo....
It's terrific that you can get what you need for $40/month! Unfortunately for many of us that isn't a reality. I'm in PerfectCode's camp. My wife and I are heavy users and I have three teenagers - also heavy users. We have limited basic cable TV, but nobody watches it. 7Mbps isn't enough bandwidth for my family, since it's not unusual for all of us to be utilizing the internet in some capacity simultaneously.

Increasingly, I've been running up against the usage caps and I expect that will become more of a problem in the future.

I don't think it is unreasonable --at least for the Extreme tiers-- to raise the cap a bit, perhaps up to 500GB. I feel that Extreme users are obviously more 'hardcore" and will naturally transmit more data.
--
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together. -Josh Billings

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
reply to PerfectCode

The purpose of the caps is to prevent the loss of revenue from subscribers who would dump Comcast for TV and stream HD over their HSI connection. It's really got little to do with the cost of delivering the bandwidth.