pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to 88615298

Re: Small Number

said by 88615298:

7.8% is 1 out of every 13 people. That sucks for supposedly the most advanced nation on earth. What if 1 out of 13 lack electricity? or 1 out of 13 didn't have indoor plumbing. Would you be saying how "impressive" it is that 92.2% of American can use the toilet indoors?
I remember reading somewhere here that 30% or so of people in the US simply were not interested in broadband service for whatever reason. I am not going to suggest that all of those people are in the same category as the 7.8% of people who cannot get broadband, but the fact that so many people in the US simply do not care for broadband means that getting the entire country wired up simply isn't that big a priority.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by pnh102:

I remember reading somewhere here that 30% or so of people in the US simply were not interested in broadband service for whatever reason.
Joe Barton puts it at less than 5%.
From »www.cio.com/article/593573/Repub···yId=3137
quote:
May, 2010 - Only about 5 percent of U.S. households don't have access to broadband, and many of those households are in rural areas, Barton said during a hearing of the committee's communications and Internet subcommittee.

"My guess is they live in rural areas because they want to," Barton said. "It's at least possible that they don't want all the encumbrances and accoutrements of the modern Internet Age. So even if we forced it on them, they probably wouldn't take it."

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by 88615298:

7.8% is 1 out of every 13 people. That sucks for supposedly the most advanced nation on earth. What if 1 out of 13 lack electricity? or 1 out of 13 didn't have indoor plumbing. Would you be saying how "impressive" it is that 92.2% of American can use the toilet indoors?
I remember reading somewhere here that 30% or so of people in the US simply were not interested in broadband service for whatever reason. I am not going to suggest that all of those people are in the same category as the 7.8% of people who cannot get broadband, but the fact that so many people in the US simply do not care for broadband means that getting the entire country wired up simply isn't that big a priority.
Do you realize how many people were uninterested in electricity before the Rural Electrification Act was passed?

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by sonicmerlin:

Do you realize how many people were uninterested in electricity before the Rural Electrification Act was passed?
That's the wrong argument. There are many people who can get broadband already but choose not to do so.

Maybe as time goes on this will change, but if the FCC numbers are to be believed, or are even in the ballpark, then the problem isn't as bad as we're being led to think.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.