spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RB732

@verizon.net

GFI Outlets in Bathrooms

Does anyone know if there is a requirement on how far away or close a GFI has to be from a water source. I am in Mass. Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
I have a guess but I will wait and see what the code experts say.

Just for my extra knowledge I would also like to expand it if I may just to near water sources in other parts of the house. Not totally OT i hope just an expansion of the original question to include water in other house areas.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to RB732
Where do you put G.F.I.'s?...
Any bathroom or garage outlet within 6' of a sink must be GFCI protected. The code also requires all kitchen outlets for countertop use to be GFCI protected. GFCI outlets must be installed in any area where electricity and water may come into contact, including basements, pools, spas, utility rooms, attached garages and outdoors. At least one GFCI outlet is required in an unfinished basement and for most outdoor outlets.

rb732

@verizon.net
Ok, I was told that GFI's have to be at least 2 ft away from a water source. As thats code in Mass. So the information that I got is incorrect? I just want to make sure before I remove it and put it somewhere else.

Thanks again.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to RB732
Don't know how accurate this site is but I quoted that from »masterslic.tripod.com/FAQ-2/6.html

»www.ask-the-electrician.com/elec···fci.html has similar.
NEC 210.8 Ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) protection shall be provided for all 125-volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacle outlets installed outdoors, in boathouses, garages, unfinished accessory buildings, crawl spaces at or below grade level, unfinished basements, bathrooms, at kitchen countertops and within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink in laundry rooms, utility rooms, and at wet-bars.

From that I gather all plugs in bathrooms need protection.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

4 edits
reply to RB732
NEC 210.52(D) - Required bathroom receptacles in dwellings:

A GFCI receptacle is required to be located within 3 feet or less from the outside edge of each basin; located in a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop; or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 12" below the countertop.

said by rb732 :

Ok, I was told that GFI's have to be at least 2 ft away from a water source. As thats code in Mass. So the information that I got is incorrect?
This is incorrect. Its not 'code in Mass'. In fact, in the kitchen a receptacle is required on each side of the sink, not more than 24" of wall space from the sink (assuming the countertops on each side of the sink are at least 12" wide). There is no discussion in the NEC or any local codes that I know of, that mention 'minimum distance from water source'. Here is the Mass. electrical code, if you want to look it up. You will see no exceptions to NEC 210.52(D):

»www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dfs/osfm···7012.pdf

The whole point of requiring the GFCI receptacle close to the sink, is so that someone doesn't take an extension cord, plug in their hairdryer or electric shaver into a non-GFCI protected receptacle and then drop it in the sink and kill themselves.

RB732

@verizon.net
reply to RB732
That's What I thought! Thank you very much for answering my questions so thoroughlly.

It is appreciated.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Where do you put G.F.I.'s?...
Any bathroom or garage outlet within 6' of a sink must be GFCI protected.
Actually, you corrected yourself:
said by dcurrey:

NEC 210.8 Ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) protection shall be provided for all 125-volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacle outlets installed outdoors, in boathouses, garages, unfinished accessory buildings, crawl spaces at or below grade level, unfinished basements, bathrooms...
The 6 foot rule is for receptacles located near sinks that are not in one of the 'rooms' that require all receptacles to be GFCI protected.