Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to RB732

Premium Member

to RB732

Re: GFI Outlets in Bathrooms

Where do you put G.F.I.'s?...
Any bathroom or garage outlet within 6' of a sink must be GFCI protected. The code also requires all kitchen outlets for countertop use to be GFCI protected. GFCI outlets must be installed in any area where electricity and water may come into contact, including basements, pools, spas, utility rooms, attached garages and outdoors. At least one GFCI outlet is required in an unfinished basement and for most outdoor outlets.

rb732
@verizon.net

rb732

Anon

Ok, I was told that GFI's have to be at least 2 ft away from a water source. As thats code in Mass. So the information that I got is incorrect? I just want to make sure before I remove it and put it somewhere else.

Thanks again.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to dcurrey

MVM

to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Where do you put G.F.I.'s?...
Any bathroom or garage outlet within 6' of a sink must be GFCI protected.
Actually, you corrected yourself:
said by dcurrey:

NEC 210.8 Ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) protection shall be provided for all 125-volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacle outlets installed outdoors, in boathouses, garages, unfinished accessory buildings, crawl spaces at or below grade level, unfinished basements, bathrooms...
The 6 foot rule is for receptacles located near sinks that are not in one of the 'rooms' that require all receptacles to be GFCI protected.