how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jericho7

join:2001-07-20
Halifax, NS

Canada No Different Than US Caps

Most US internet providers have the exact came caps as Canada, some even worse so I'm not sure why having Netflix available to Canadians is any different than Americans. I'm in Nova Scotia and have Eastlink Extreme 15, 15/1 and there is no cap so no issues here with bandwidth consumption and/or overages. Also the higher tier speeds like the 30/2 and the 100/5 have 250GB caps. I'm not getting some comments as to why Canada is any different than the US when it comes to the cap issue.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
Really? I'd venture to say at least HALF of major ISP's in the US don't have ANY form of caps.

Without stats (just a guess) I'd say that in the US cable broadband is more popular then DSL - where Canada it seems is the opposite?

We also have some great speeds...whats average DSL speed in canada?

Frank
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

1 edit
reply to jericho7
said by jericho7:

Most US internet providers have the exact came caps as Canada
no they dont,

except for wireless services, very few internet providers in the united states have bandwidth caps at all.
--
At first I thought everyone on the highway was drunk but then I realized I was driving in Florida

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to fcisler
said by fcisler:

Really? I'd venture to say at least HALF of major ISP's in the US don't have ANY form of caps.

Without stats (just a guess) I'd say that in the US cable broadband is more popular then DSL - where Canada it seems is the opposite?

We also have some great speeds...whats average DSL speed in canada?
Comcast has a cap

backness

join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2
ya its 5X that of Robbers

I think you can get 50GB per month from Robbers as opposed to 250 on Comcast.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to Frank
Comcast and Qwest have caps.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by toby:

Very few peole have QUEST. Comcast's cap is 250 GB vs 50 GB that Candian ISPs have. HUGE difference. Also Comcast has ZERO overage fees.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to jericho7
said by jericho7:

Most US internet providers have the exact came caps as Canada, some even worse so I'm not sure why having Netflix available to Canadians is any different than Americans. I'm in Nova Scotia and have Eastlink Extreme 15, 15/1 and there is no cap so no issues here with bandwidth consumption and/or overages. Also the higher tier speeds like the 30/2 and the 100/5 have 250GB caps. I'm not getting some comments as to why Canada is any different than the US when it comes to the cap issue.
You're in the minority then. Every other major cable company in Canada has caps, as do all of the telco DSL providers (though Telus is lax in enforcing them).

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by toby:

Very few peole have QUEST. Comcast's cap is 250 GB vs 50 GB that Candian ISPs have. HUGE difference. Also Comcast has ZERO overage fees.
A fairly reasonable cap vs. a shitty cap is still cap. A polished turd is still a turd.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by WernerSchutz:

said by 88615298:

said by toby:

A fairly reasonable cap vs. a shitty cap is still cap. A polished turd is still a turd.
If you think a guy making $5 an hour is bascially the same thing as one making $25 an hour well whatever.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to toby
Qwest has caps? That's news to me.

I know Bresnan doesn't have caps.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

If you think a guy making $5 an hour is bascially the same thing as one making $25 an hour well whatever.
Compared to someone making $1000 ? Yes, they are the same.

Unlimited usage that you pay for (a 8 Mbit line can do 1.8 TB/month) is vastly superior to 250 GB.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to bt
said by bt:

Every other major cable company in Canada has caps, as do all of the telco DSL providers (though Telus is lax in enforcing them).
I could go to Nexicom's ADSL2+ with no caps or throttle for $40.00.
So we aren't all up the creek here but for the time being I am happy with 10/1 and 60Gb for $29.00. Netflix could change that though.