uniqs
nycityny
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

Way to stop voicemail from picking up?

I have multi-ring set with Power Forwarding whereby my cellphone and PP line ring simultaneously. I have the PP line set for 20 seconds and cellphone at 32 seconds. I wish unanswered calls to go to my cellphone's voicemail, not PP's. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. How can I fix this?

By the way, I tried doing an online chat about this with PP and after being in the queue for about 5 minutes a message popped up saying that my chat could not be routed. So I decided to try here.

PhonePwrTech
join:2007-07-20

PhonePwrTech

Yes you can have the calls go to your cell phone voice mail instead of ours, the method of doing this depends on what you have set up in your account. That also will differ between the Capricorn and Aquarius networks. Please PM me your phone number and I will have a technician give you a call and work this out. Thank you.
ddwrt4
Sit down and drink with me
join:2010-06-09
Albany, NY

ddwrt4 to nycityny

to nycityny
Have you thought about using Youmail.com? That way you can keep everything on one platform.
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny to PhonePwrTech

Premium Member

to PhonePwrTech
I PM'd my phone number.

ddwrt - I do use youmail and that is what I'd like to have pick up my unanswered calls. I'm on Capricorn. When I have power forwarding ring my PP line and cellphone simultaneously, I want unanswered calls to end up on youmail (which is my cellphone's vm service). There doesn't seem to be a way to assure that.

When I don't use multi-ring I use power forwarding and have the 2nd number listed as youmail. If I don't answer my PP line then the call goes to youmail.

You can't do that when all numbers are ringing simultaneously.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

ddwrt4

said by nycityny:

I PM'd my phone number.

ddwrt - I do use youmail and that is what I'd like to have pick up my unanswered calls. I'm on Capricorn. When I have power forwarding ring my PP line and cellphone simultaneously, I want unanswered calls to end up on youmail (which is my cellphone's vm service). There doesn't seem to be a way to assure that.

When I don't use multi-ring I use power forwarding and have the 2nd number listed as youmail. If I don't answer my PP line then the call goes to youmail.

You can't do that when all numbers are ringing simultaneously.
I PMed you my number. Give me a call and I can tell you how I think we can solve that.
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by ddwrt4:

I PMed you my number. Give me a call and I can tell you how I think we can solve that.
Let's let the folks at PP work on this first and see what they come up with - it could end up benefiting everybody in the long run.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

4 edits

ddwrt4

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
We have been there before
»Voicemail Question

Every time Stew or I discover a bug or something new you know we always share in the forum. I just tested on Aquarius... See Screenshots... Works like a champ!

FYI just confirmed w\support that there is no way to ring both you cell and home number using youmail. I knew this question sounded similar because before they launched the new network I wanted to do it as well. I believe it was Dave that told me it was a NO GO?

Reason being is because on Capricorn it is either Simuring or bust. It does not support ...if none of these are picked up, I want the caller sent to...

If you setup call forwarding like I did on Aquarius with your own ring times to suit your preference you would be golden. If I'm wrong then please jump in and correct me.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

1 recommendation

goober22

How hard is it to just turn PP voicemail off? I see no option to do that on Aquarius. I have no use for PP voicemail as I use a home machine.

Not everyone wants to use EVERY feature and option and therefore each feature should have an on/off feature.

Sure I can set the ring time to a long enough one so my machine answers but IF I am ON THE PHONE, then when the caller gets a busy signal, it goes straight to PP voicemail. I can't forward a busy to "none" as it won't let me pick that as an option. I can't turn voicemail off either it seems.

The best I can do so far is to record a generic greeting on PP that sounds like an error message so people don't leave a VM. ("The number you called is busy, please wait a few minutes and try your call again.")
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

4 edits

ddwrt4

said by goober22:

How hard is it to just turn PP voicemail off? I see no option to do that on Aquarius. I have no use for PP voicemail as I use a home machine.

Not everyone wants to use EVERY feature and option and therefore each feature should have an on/off feature.

Sure I can set the ring time to a long enough one so my machine answers but IF I am ON THE PHONE, then when the caller gets a busy signal, it goes straight to PP voicemail. I can't forward a busy to "none" as it won't let me pick that as an option. I can't turn voicemail off either it seems.

The best I can do so far is to record a generic greeting on PP that sounds like an error message so people don't leave a VM. ("The number you called is busy, please wait a few minutes and try your call again.")
It can be completely shut off if you email support @ phonepower.com or call them at 1-888-607-6937 they will happily turn it completely off. I know your next question is going to be why is can't the end user toggle it? My guess would be because not enough people feel the need to shut voice mail completely off.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 edit

Stewart to goober22

to goober22
Though I agree with ddwrt that you shouldn't have hijacked the thread, I'll try to answer anyhow.

If you don't have Cloned Line enabled and also have call waiting turned off, you could forward on busy to a "busy test" number such as 408-269-1999. Then, if your line is busy, the caller will hear a busy signal.

However, it annoys me when people set up their phones this way, especially if I have to call back a half dozen times before getting through. Why is it a problem if a few messages end up on PP voicemail?

Why do you prefer the answering machine in the first place? If it's so you can listen to a caller leaving a message and pick up if it's important, request that PP add a "message screener" feature like some other providers have. With enough such requests, we may get the feature.

With Cloned Line enabled and a two-line answering machine, it could be set up to take a message while you are on the phone.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

2 edits

ddwrt4

said by Stewart:

Though I agree with ddwrt that you shouldn't have hijacked the thread, I'll try to answer anyhow.

If you don't have Cloned Line enabled and also have call waiting turned off, you could forward on busy to a "busy test" number such as 408-269-1999. Then, if your line is busy, the caller will hear a busy signal.

However, it annoys me when people set up their phones this way, especially if I have to call back a half dozen times before getting through. Why is it a problem if a few messages end up on PP voicemail?

Why do you prefer the answering machine in the first place? If it's so you can listen to a caller leaving a message and pick up if it's important, request that PP add a "message screener" feature like some other providers have. With enough such requests, we may get the feature.

With Cloned Line enabled and a two-line answering machine, it could be set up to take a message while you are on the phone.
Excellent idea Stew I have mentioned in the past how the only reason I would love to get Ooma is because of call screening functionality of the Telo. However, I'm not going to "cut my nose off to spite my face" and leave my phone number to a company that probably will go bankrupt and does not have support that would make you coffee if they could.

I'm sure you already have one Stew?
»www.google.com/googlevoice
I use it just for the call screening feature and have encouraged people that can't live without call screening to get one as well. Here is a video about GV works? Hope I don't get burned at the stake!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· U7BOeQ58

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

1 edit

goober22 to Stewart

to Stewart
First off to ddwrt - grow up man. I tried to ask politely about the useless videos but I see how it is now.

To Stewart,

I did not hijack the thread as the OP was asking about not having PP VM pickup. An option to turn it off is the answer. I was adding to his issue. If PP VM was not on, it therefore would not pickup and hs cell phone VM would get the forward. I have the same issue as him - I do not want PP VM to answer - period. There is no use starting a new thread for the same issue (as the 6 different threads last week for the outage were started)

The reason for a home machine, as ddwrt already knows, is that it is used by an 80+ year old lady that has no clue what VM is and is hard of hearing anyway and therefore could NEVER figure out the VM system. All she needs/wants is phone, callerID and call block. When she sees her answering machine blinking, she hits "play". That and "delete" is all she uses.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

4 edits

ddwrt4

said by goober22:

First off to ddwrt - grow up man. I tried to ask politely about the useless videos but I see how it is now.

To Stewart,

I did not hijack the thread as the OP was asking about not having PP VM pickup. An option to turn it off is the answer. I was adding to his issue. If PP VM was not on, it therefore would not pickup and hs cell phone VM would get the forward. I have the same issue as him - I do not want PP VM to answer - period. There is no use starting a new thread for the same issue (as the 6 different threads last week for the outage were started)

The reason for a home machine, as ddwrt already knows, is that it is used by an 80+ year old lady that has no clue what VM is and is hard of hearing anyway and therefore could NEVER figure out the VM system. All she needs/wants is phone, callerID and call block. When she sees her answering machine blinking, she hits "play". That and "delete" is all she uses.
Chill dude we were just like to messing w\ya a little bit? However, you can understand where we are coming from. What is one mans useless post\video is someones elses pride and joy.

Like I said Goober I still love ya bro and go hit support and ask them to turn off your voice mail. Tell them I say hi and not to drink to much beer, lol. As far as you hijacking the thread, I feel it would have been better to start a new one? However, I see where you are coming from and understand your reasoning so I'm cool with that now.

BTW I hope grandma is doing well and give her my best wishes. How does she like PP? I agree w\you teaching someone who is 80 yo could be difficult and is not necessary at her age. Stew has a great idea though regarding getting a 2 line answering machine. If money is not a factor might want to take his suggestion. Have a wonderful day!
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny to PhonePwrTech

Premium Member

to PhonePwrTech
This issue was never resolved and nobody ever contacted me from PhonePower.

I'm back at "home base" and not using multi-ring for now. I was until Monday and, again, some unanswered calls went to PP's voicemail and some to my cellphone's. No rhyme or reason as to why.

I had both voicemail systems set to send me a text message so that helped a little.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

ddwrt4

said by nycityny:

This issue was never resolved and nobody ever contacted me from PhonePower.

I'm back at "home base" and not using multi-ring for now. I was until Monday and, again, some unanswered calls went to PP's voicemail and some to my cellphone's. No rhyme or reason as to why.

I had both voicemail systems set to send me a text message so that helped a little.
Maybe they are still working on a solution. Your situation is the norm therefore they may have not have a solution for you as of yet. Why not follow up with them?
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by ddwrt4:

Your situation is the norm
How is it the "norm" when there are inconsistent outcomes? Some calls are handled one way (PP vm) and some another (cellphone vm). If that is normal then it should not be.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

ddwrt4

said by nycityny:

said by ddwrt4:

Your situation is the norm
How is it the "norm" when there are inconsistent outcomes? Some calls are handled one way (PP vm) and some another (cellphone vm). If that is normal then it should not be.
I mean to use simulring with a 3rd party vm they do not support. Don't shoot the messenger please. Just saying most people have never heard of YouMail much less use simulring with YM.
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by ddwrt4:

I mean to use simulring with a 3rd party vm they do not support. Don't shoot the messenger please. Just saying most people have never heard of YouMail much less use simulring with YM.
I am not using simulring to avoid PP's voicemail system. I simply want for PP's vm system not to pick up until my cellphone's vm has had a chance to do so. That's not asking PP to use a 3rd party system - it's just asking it not to interfere with the multi-ring process by pulling the call away from my cellphone.

Obviously when one is not home and they are using multi-ring they prefer that their cellphone vm service dominate because it is their cellphone that is with them.

It is true that I bypass PP's voicemail system when I am NOT using mutli-ring and am at home. But that is not what this thread is about.
ddwrt4
Albany, NY

2 edits

ddwrt4

said by nycityny:

said by ddwrt4:

I am not using simulring to avoid PP's voicemail system. I simply want for PP's vm system not to pick up until my cellphone's vm has had a chance to do so. That's not asking PP to use a 3rd party system - it's just asking it not to interfere with the multi-ring process by pulling the call away from my cellphone.

Obviously when one is not home and they are using multi-ring they prefer that their cellphone vm service dominate because it is their cellphone that is with them.

It is true that I bypass PP's voicemail system when I am NOT using mutli-ring and am at home. But that is not what this thread is about.
Well then just email\call support and have them disable it I'm surprised you did not see that mentioned in the forum? Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks to murphy I can't find it now Hope you get resolved ASAP. I know it is frustrating when technology does not show us any love.