how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guitarmaniak

join:2010-07-23
Puslinch, ON

Bell Turbo hub is a massive rip off

The new Bell Turbo Hub can be a massive rip off. If you are not computer savvy and have kids that watch You tube or download or upload much at all, you will be shocked by your first bill if you do not watch it very very closely. after 10GB the charges sky-rocket. My first bill was $1,100. That blew my mind after having used cable modems in the past. Living in the country is nice expect the internet service options, as most people know, are terrible. Is Canada a third rate nation. Lets get some economical ISP solutions. Stay away from cellular for home computer internet use unless you only send email and do minor surfing and downloading.

Guitarmaniak

join:2010-07-23
Puslinch, ON

ps....I used about 85GB over my 10GB. I had no idea that it would add up that fast when I signed up. The Bell rep gave me the impression that 10GB was a massive amount and that it would be nearly impossible for my family to use this much. Wrong.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

1 edit

said by Guitarmaniak:

ps....I used about 85GB over my 10GB. I had no idea that it would add up that fast when I signed up. The Bell rep gave me the impression that 10GB was a massive amount and that it would be nearly impossible for my family to use this much. Wrong.
Well you said you used cable modems in the past... weren't you aware already about how much bandwidth you would use or need?

jul644

@dsl.bell.ca
reply to Guitarmaniak

your fault man, you dont cry when you go over your minutes on your phone

the turbo hub is like a data stick for your laptop its great if you just check e-mails and surf a little bit

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to Guitarmaniak

said by Guitarmaniak:

-
I have 3 comments :

1) The BHell rep made a commission for signing you up - need I say more about that ?

2) You are even less lucky that you have Bell's version of that Hub Beast, because the Rogers version charges only $5 extra per GB of over-usage, though for a full GB even if you are only over by a fraction of one. (Bell calcs out to $15 extra per GB of over-usage) - The Rogers Phone add-on for the Hub is also much more reasonably priced than Bell's, and the price of the hub itself is about the same, under the same contract length.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/inter···hubplans

3) These 'Hubs' are currently (at $60 for 10GB of monthly traffic) the least expensive of all wireless data on a cellular network, both in Canada and the US (except for a few of the deals if you buy an Apple device, and limited coverage offers like Wind Mobile), and even at THAT, are far more dear than any form of wired service, though some wired providers are trying their damndest to close THAT gap & rip us off worse and worse lately.

aqk

join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC
kudos:1
reply to Guitarmaniak

Re: Bell Turbo hub is a massive rip off?

Alas, do I have a better choice? Only Bell seems to provide consistent cellular service in my neck of the dark woods.

I currently enjoy the amazing speed of FIBE.TK and oddly, it has no cap whatsoever!
The speed of course sometimes tops out at 40 kbs (if I'm lucky) but normally it's 36-37 kbs.
Hmmnn.. I wonder why Bell doesn't throttle it?
As you've probably guessed by now, it's commonly called "dial-up".

But I've ordered the plain vanilla turbo hub, as well as a small antenna to fit on my roof. Bell seems to have backorder problems - it will be here in mid-August.

Just a question - how do I know when I've exceeded my 5gb or 10 gb caps ?. Do I have access to some online log of this?

- Until then, I humbly remain,: The FIBE.TK man who scoffs at caps and throttling.

Chuck Caruso

@teksavvy.com
reply to Guitarmaniak

Re: Bell Turbo hub is a massive rip off

The rest of the world fills up 2 terabyte hard drives monthly. I don't know why they even try to sell them in Canada. Obviously companies such as seagate and western digital have no one that lives in Canada. I don't understand why Am erica hasn't come out with faster satellite internet to finally put an end to this nightmare they call Canadian broadband.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by Chuck Caruso :

The rest of the world fills up 2 terabyte hard drives monthly. I don't know why they even try to sell them in Canada. Obviously companies such as seagate and western digital have no one that lives in Canada. I don't understand why Am erica hasn't come out with faster satellite internet to finally put an end to this nightmare they call Canadian broadband.
Well I have a 2Tb ... I must be special

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
reply to aqk

said by aqk:

Just a question - how do I know when I've exceeded my 5gb or 10 gb caps ?. Do I have access to some online log of this?

- Until then, I humbly remain,: The FIBE.TK man who scoffs at caps and throttling.
All the wireless providers have nearly real time information on usage. For Bell, Telus and Rogers you can generally see sessions within 1hr of their ending and at worst they say 4hrs. By session ending I mean that if my handset sets up an active 3G session and I surf for a bit, the session goes into "pause" when I'm idle. So that usage may not show up in accounting until the session ends, which is different that it being idle.

taichan7

join:2006-03-22
Sudbury, ON
reply to kovy

Re: Bell Turbo hub is a massive rip off

said by kovy:

said by Chuck Caruso :

Well I have a 2Tb ... I must be special
oooo i must be extra special i have 2! and they're both full!

To OP, you choose to live in an area that can't get good high speed be glad your not on dialup. move if your not happy, saying "this country has this" when it has 100x the population density of canada is just pointless

Am i happy with the state of canadas internet, no, how ever i lived in korea that land of "great internet" highest speed i could get was 3 by 1... to keep up with my needs i needed 3 connection, one for download, one for surfing and one for a back up because one of the other 2 would be down

the reason i didn't get good speed was the same as canada, because i didn't live in the center of a large built up area

aqk

Elgin, QC

1 edit
reply to Chuck Caruso

said by Chuck Caruso :

..... I don't understand why Am erica hasn't come out with faster satellite internet to finally put an end to this nightmare they call Canadian broadband.
This is a limitation of physics.
Geostationary satellites are in orbit about 40,000 Km above different points on the equator. When you consider packets flow back and forth from your dish to the bird several times to achieve two-way internet communication with some other point on Earth, there is considerable latency introduced.

If you have any ideas on how to increase the speed of light, we'd be interested.

LEO satellites flying by may improve this, but I suspect there is some delay even when "passing the baton" from one satellite to the next as it comes into view.
You have this latency also with TV, but as it is one-way communication, you do not generally notice, or even care about a half-second or so delay in your reception. - Actually you WILL notice this sometimes as audio and video often come from two different satellites and the voice of someone on screen seems to be out of sync with their lips.

-aqk, still enduring the miserable fibe.tk speed.

Janiceont

@dial.bell.ca
reply to Guitarmaniak

Hi....I'm waiting for my Bell Turbo Hub to arrive. I've been on a slow dial up for the past 9yrs. On a good day I receive 28 .8 kbps. REFRESH is in my nightmares. So after reading all the comments...........hummm, I guess I won't have the freedom after all to experience the freedom of cyber. I shall try it for my 14 trail period & watch my account like a hawk. How I'm hoping this will be compatible with my needs.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Davesnothere

Rate Changes

-
A SIGNIFICANT UPDATE :

Rogers has just increased what they charge for excess data usage thru THEIR hub to $10 per GB from the $5 which I reported earlier, above.

It's still less than what Bell takes, but getting closer.

Also, Rogers increased what they charge for adding telephone service to it, but is still less than what Bell wants, if you DID want the calling features, which Rogers bundles, where Bell lets you optionally add them.

The link to the Rogers rate page is still the same as above.

jjthegreat

join:2004-06-17
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to aqk

said by aqk:

AQK, you are my hero man, inspiration to do the same, thanks!

aqk

Elgin, QC

said by jjthegreat:

said by aqk:

AQK, you are my hero man, inspiration to do the same, thanks!
LOL! Thanx, but wait 'til I get my Bell bill at the end the month!

I have had my turbo-hub only 3 days now, and am up to 0.75 gig !
Grrr....! Where's my shotgun..?

aqk

Elgin, QC
reply to aqk

said by aqk:

Well of course! Now that I have my Turbo-Hub operational, I can check the 192.168.1.1 and sorta see the upload/download statistics.
After ONLY 3 days of turbo-hub, I am now up to 0.75 Gb of my 3Gb cap... And, and- no kids here now, and no excessive crappy youtube viewing.

You may be right- perhaps it is a massive rip-off. Bell sure knows how to feed the peasants their beautiful Heroin.. hmmnn?
There seems to be a needle sticking in my arm. Thanx, Mr. Bell Pusherman.
- - aqk The FIBE.TK man