Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blaine2009

join:2009-03-05
North Vancouver, BC

Samsung 32" LCD with 2 coaxial inputs "air" and "cable"

Hi

My mum has this tv (about 3 years old), not sure why it has 2 inputs, she was not getting all the cable tv stations so I switched the coaxial cable to the one marked "cable" and re-tuned the tv.

Would it matter though which coaxial input you had the cable attached to?

Wonder why you would want air and cable attached at the same time?

Any advise appreciated.

Regards

Blaine

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
You should be able to switch back and forth between the 2 inputs using the TV's menu. I can switch between VCR, DVD and DirecTV on mine.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have.

blaine2009

join:2009-03-05
North Vancouver, BC
Hi

Thanks, do you know why one would need both cable and air attached at the same time? As all the air stations are covered by the cable feed I think.

It would also not matter which coax input you attached the cable to?

Thx

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
It probably doesn't matter, as long as you get all the stations you're entitled to. The labels may just be there to be helpful, or if it's hooked up wrong, it may not be able to find the channels.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to blaine2009
the air input more than likely has an ATSC tuner (digital) that wont work on cable for digital broadcasts.
the cable input more than likely does not have a QAM tuner (digital) and you will only be able to recieve analog broadcasts, not digital.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to blaine2009
You can get a higher resolution broadcast off of an air antenna than the compressed signal off of cable. If you have both an antenna and cable hooked up, you may be able to see the difference depending on the program. It is also nice to have an antenna hooked up if the cable system goes out due to a storm, etc.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by robbin:

You can get a higher resolution broadcast off of an air antenna than the compressed signal off of cable. If you have both an antenna and cable hooked up, you may be able to see the difference depending on the program. It is also nice to have an antenna hooked up if the cable system goes out due to a storm, etc.
He's from Canada which still has a lot of analog stations. Also if he got the TV in Canada I'm not sure the TV even has a ATSC tuner in it. A model number would help a lot. Also knowing his cable Tv provider would help too.