join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

Unoffical Frontier FAQ

I've been spending some free time writing up an FAQ for this forum until we get a full FAQ online. Figured I'd share what very little of it has been created. Do not be surprised of the directory listings. Until it is fully created, you'll come across them. Only thing I have created was some guides for the Siemens Gigaset SE567.

The page isn't supposed to look like much, just basic HTML. I haven't gotten to making it look neater so it's a bit of a mess, but my goal right now is to make sure it can be viewed through any browser, any device, and through any connection.

FAQ Page

Please be kind to my server! It does bite when it's unhappy

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Let me know if you want to make it an "official" FAQ and move it over to DSLR.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Will do. Probably when it is all written up and we're all satisfied with it we'll move it over.

Thought it might be of interest to some, my server actually routes directly into Frontier's network in Chicago so it should run rather quickly when on the Frontier network, especially if the former Verizon people here are routing over the Frontier network now.

Me101011

join:2008-06-03
Saline, MI
I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time and effort to put a FAQ together.

I'm former Verizon. The switchover hasn't been completed in my area.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
What part of the switchover is incomplete?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to Me101011
You're welcome

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Smith6612
Let's keep conversations in this thread focused on the development of the Frontier FAQ please. Of course "thank you's" are welcome and I am sure they are appreciated.

I don't want this to get sidetracked into non FAQ related discussions.

If anyone has anything they would like to contribute you can insert them here or send them on directly to Smith6612 See Profile.

lemonjive

join:2010-06-30
Bothell, WA
reply to Smith6612
As the original reporter of the rev G actiontec, I am now in frontier land but did receive the router before the switchover.

Also, its only 2.4GHz, no 5GHz.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
said by lemonjive:

As the original reporter of the rev G actiontec, I am now in frontier land but did receive the router before the switchover.

Also, its only 2.4GHz, no 5GHz.
Updated!

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Smith6612
About »seansite.dyndns.org/frontierfaq/···tat.html you claim that users should

quote:
Please verify that you are plugged directly into the modem before you run this program

If that tool fails to find the modem, besides offering to rescan for the modem, the tool offers to setup the Static IP of 192.168.1.250 and the Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

So, if an user has a hub or an unmanaged switch they could have that hub or unmanaged switch between this modem and their router.

Then as addresed in »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router? it matters if their computer has only has one NIC or least two NICs.

quote:
The IP of the second NIC should be static and set to an IP in the IP mask range of the modem.

With the hub or unmanaged switch correctly connected between the modem and their router, if the computer has two NICs, if the router's IP Address is 192.168.0.1 and if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0....

#1 The NIC that is going to connected to hub or unmanaged switch, get assigned the IP Address of 192.168.1.250 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

#2 Connect that NIC to the hub or unmanaged switch.

#3 If the user desires the IP Address of the other NIC to have a Static IP, they should set it's Address in the 192.168.0.* range.

#4 This is done so that they can run that tool and be online at the same time.

--

If the user does not have a computer with two NICs, but they have the hub or unmanaged switch correctly connected between the modem and their router, all they need to do is..

#1 Disconnect their computer from the router.

#2 Setup the computer to use the IP Address of 192.168.1.250 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

#3 Connect their computer to the hub or unmanaged switch.

#4 Install/Run that tool.

#5 This is done so that the other computers that are behind the router can still access the net (applies that the net is still working).

#6 To get back online:

a) Disconnect their computer from the hub or unmanaged switch.

b) Change the IP Address type back to what it was before they setup that Static IP. This can mean DHCP.

c) Connect their computer behind the router.

d) Release and renew the IP Address as need be.

--

Before adding this the FAQ - if you do not believe me, verify it your self.

Some notes about correct way to connect a hub or unmanaged switch to the modem is, either it is:

#1 The connection from the modem goes to the uplink port, then the connection from the router can go to any port but the port next to the uplink port.

#2 OR If I am wrong about that, then it is: The connection from the modem goes to the port next to the uplink port, then the connection from the router can go to any port but not the uplink port OR not the port that is already in (the port next to the uplink port) use.

^^
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Thanks aefstoggaflm for the correction! I'll add this in the next time I get the chance, but in the meantime if someone wishes and they have a Westell 6110 (or perhaps the Westell 2100 as this pretty much applies I believe), can they run through these steps for me?

jhb16082

join:2010-07-18
Monroeton, PA
reply to Smith6612
I found this and i readed and I liked it! . I called Frontier and asked them if i can bridge, but they won't, but you offer the unoffical FAQ and now it will make my bridging part easier... .

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Thanks!

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to Smith6612

(topic move) Unoffical Frontier FAQ

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Sad News for Frontier.Net Customers

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ

Hello guys,

I updated the FAQ for the SE567 to some new bridging instructions that should be more clear/easier to follow. I revamped the SE567's Bridging instructions page, and included instructions on how to bridge a PPPoA connection on the SE567 to be used as a PPPoE connection, which routers do support.

»seansite.dyndns.org/frontierfaq/···dge.html

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Hello, Happy Holidays!

I added information for the SpeedStream 6520 today, just in time for anyone having issues with their new game consoles

»seansite.dyndns.org/frontierfaq/···nt/6520/

Anonnn

@rr.com
reply to Smith6612

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ SE 567 port forwading

Using a web browser, launch the router's Web management interface located at »192.168.254.254 and log in with the appropriate username and password (frequently, "admin" is both the username and password).

Click Security on the lefthand side of the page.

Click Address Translation on the lefthand side of the page.

Select Port Forwarding (NAPT) and click the Configure link to the right of Port Forwarding (NAPT).

Review the list of available applications. If the application the customer desires is present, click it to add it to the "Enabled Applications" list - and that's it! If the application the customer desires is *not* present, click Add a Custom Forwarding Entry.

Under Add/Edit entry, select either the service or protocol and TCP/UDP ports, whichever is applicable to the customer's situation. If you select "protocol and TCP/UDP ports", be sure to enter the appropriate range of port numbers for the customer's situation.

Select either "redirect selected protocol / service to this router" or "redirect selected protocol / service to IP address", whichever is applicable to the customer's situation. If you select "redirect selected protocol / service to IP address", be sure to enter the appropriate IP address (that to which you are attempting to redirect protocol / service).

Click Apply. That's it!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to Smith6612

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ

Just as a heads up, my web server is currently down for some maintenance. Moving the site to run off of an SSD drive and running other things on a mechanical drive. It should return to normal operating in a few hours.

ramdiezel
Premium
join:2011-01-17
Naples, NY
reply to Smith6612
Thanks for all your postings Smith6612! When will the Westell 7500 info. be available in the FAQs?

Frontier just replaced my SE567 with the Westell today and what a difference! I'm now getting 3MB down in a rural area 2 miles from the switch. Was getting 1MB at best and thousands of FEC errors.............

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
I'll see if I can add them in later today.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
FAQ for the Westell 7500 (and maybe a 7550) are going to be updated/created soon. I've recently gotten screenshots in from some other members, in addition to a Frontier-branded Westell 7500 from a local contact. Here's what I've gotten so far from the Westell 7500. Looks like I'll be needing to sync it up sometime as it doesn't want to let me out of autoconfig without an active DSL connection (isn't this thing supposed to have the VersaPort enabled?).

If anyone has an idea on how to disable the Autoconfig, please let me know. It'll save me the deal of having to take my SE567 offline for a little while to get this thing autoconfigured...

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Just go to 192.168.1.1 and you should be able to manualy configure the modem. I do not recall if there was a cancel or discontinue auto-configurtion buttom at the bottom of the screen.

Which Rev is the modem you received. I have both Rev C and Rev H. Each Rev has a different firmware version installed. I'll send you screen shots of the where they differ if you like. I am not sure if Frontier has firmware revisions available. I could not find any on their web site.

I am still working with Frontier to resolve the errors on my DSL lines. So I have not yet placed either modem into bridge mode. I'll let you know the results.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Tried everything I could think of last night to get out of the Auto Configuration. I didn't have the modem plugged into a DSL line, and whether I pressed Cancel or not, the modem would just loop between trying to detect DSL Sync and asking me to change the modem password and entering in PPPoE information. I'm going to be syncing it up in a little bit and hope it detects my line as running PPPoA correctly and from there, take it off when it should be ready to go.

The box the Westell 7500 came in says it's a Revision G 7500, however within the box there is a Revision E.

If you'd like to send some high res, full-page screenshots of the differing pages in the PNG format, that'd be wonderful. It would help me build the FAQ for different revisions of the units and firmwares. If you need a place to upload them, let me know. If not, just send them via e-mail or your favorite file sharing site.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Interesting, I was able to stop it in the Rev C version by just going to gateway IP address. Can you tell me what version of firmware is in the unit you have?

I will try to get some high resolution full page screen shots of both the Rev C and Rev G version (maybe I better check the bottom of the unit to confirm Rev Number).

Update: Like you the box is marked Rev G, but the unit inside is Rev E. Was there a firmware revision that uppped the Rev E to a Rev G? I will try to find out, maybe you can check with your guy also.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
I can't even see that information. Visiting any information in the modem redirects me to the auto-configuration screen, and the modem's sticker does not appear to say what version of the firmware is loaded onto the modem at stock. The only other thing I can get out of the modem is 404 pages when I type in an invalid URL.

I've tried everything I could think of right now to skip the Auto Configuration pages, including skipping steps in the Auto Configuration where it eventually tries to redirect you to »www.frontier.com/Welcome/westvirginia (lol I'm in New York) to a page that seems to prompt you for a Frontier e-mail address.

I'll be taking my SE567 out of service for a little bit sometime this weekend when my line isn't being used or suffering from congestion to get rid of the Auto Configuration page. As long as I can complete it, I should be good to go.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to Smith6612
I captued the primary secrren for REV E - where do you want me to upload them to? You can email or IM the link to me.

I will start working on the REV C this evening.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Try this

»/sendfile

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

1 edit
Rev C screen shots have been uploaded.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Click for full size
Transceiver Statistics indicating sync
hey Hank, I don't believe I received the link to the screenshots. Care to send the link?

I also got the 7500 up and running. Apparently all it needed was for the DSL Sync to come up. After that I was free to bypass the Auto Config wizard :| So much for being able to use the 7500 in Frontier's Fiber to the Home (Legacy) installs via the VersaPort.

The Westell 7500 when it first started up and found sync, auto detected in the background that my line is set to use PPPoE. I didn't wish to use PPPoE. Went into the VC Settings before it attempted to connect (and will work), switched the modem to PPPoA, which I prefer more, set the MTU on VC1 to 1500, and rebooted. I love being able to switch between PPPoE and PPPoA at will. Hope to stick with PPPoA for a while.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Check your IM for links.

That is interesting that you had to let it attain sync before you could get out of the wizard.

I prefer PPPoE because my primary router can be used in the mode when the modems are bridged. Otherwise I have to bridge and use PPTP.

I am beginning to favor firmware Ver 5.02.00.03 in the REV C over firmware Ver 5.02.00.07 used in the REV E series.

I wish my transceiver statistics were even close to your. I am out in the sticks here.

I am still working line issues with Frontier; once resolved I will place the modems in bridge mode to use with my ZyXel USG100 router.