·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
FAQ for the Westell 7500 (and maybe a 7550) are going to be updated/created soon. I've recently gotten screenshots in from some other members, in addition to a Frontier-branded Westell 7500 from a local contact. Here's what I've gotten so far from the Westell 7500. Looks like I'll be needing to sync it up sometime as it doesn't want to let me out of autoconfig without an active DSL connection (isn't this thing supposed to have the VersaPort enabled?).

If anyone has an idea on how to disable the Autoconfig, please let me know. It'll save me the deal of having to take my SE567 offline for a little while to get this thing autoconfigured...

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Just go to 192.168.1.1 and you should be able to manualy configure the modem. I do not recall if there was a cancel or discontinue auto-configurtion buttom at the bottom of the screen.

Which Rev is the modem you received. I have both Rev C and Rev H. Each Rev has a different firmware version installed. I'll send you screen shots of the where they differ if you like. I am not sure if Frontier has firmware revisions available. I could not find any on their web site.

I am still working with Frontier to resolve the errors on my DSL lines. So I have not yet placed either modem into bridge mode. I'll let you know the results.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Tried everything I could think of last night to get out of the Auto Configuration. I didn't have the modem plugged into a DSL line, and whether I pressed Cancel or not, the modem would just loop between trying to detect DSL Sync and asking me to change the modem password and entering in PPPoE information. I'm going to be syncing it up in a little bit and hope it detects my line as running PPPoA correctly and from there, take it off when it should be ready to go.

The box the Westell 7500 came in says it's a Revision G 7500, however within the box there is a Revision E.

If you'd like to send some high res, full-page screenshots of the differing pages in the PNG format, that'd be wonderful. It would help me build the FAQ for different revisions of the units and firmwares. If you need a place to upload them, let me know. If not, just send them via e-mail or your favorite file sharing site.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Interesting, I was able to stop it in the Rev C version by just going to gateway IP address. Can you tell me what version of firmware is in the unit you have?

I will try to get some high resolution full page screen shots of both the Rev C and Rev G version (maybe I better check the bottom of the unit to confirm Rev Number).

Update: Like you the box is marked Rev G, but the unit inside is Rev E. Was there a firmware revision that uppped the Rev E to a Rev G? I will try to find out, maybe you can check with your guy also.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I can't even see that information. Visiting any information in the modem redirects me to the auto-configuration screen, and the modem's sticker does not appear to say what version of the firmware is loaded onto the modem at stock. The only other thing I can get out of the modem is 404 pages when I type in an invalid URL.

I've tried everything I could think of right now to skip the Auto Configuration pages, including skipping steps in the Auto Configuration where it eventually tries to redirect you to »www.frontier.com/Welcome/westvirginia (lol I'm in New York) to a page that seems to prompt you for a Frontier e-mail address.

I'll be taking my SE567 out of service for a little bit sometime this weekend when my line isn't being used or suffering from congestion to get rid of the Auto Configuration page. As long as I can complete it, I should be good to go.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to Smith6612

I captued the primary secrren for REV E - where do you want me to upload them to? You can email or IM the link to me.

I will start working on the REV C this evening.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Try this

»/sendfile

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

1 edit

Rev C screen shots have been uploaded.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Click for full size
Transceiver Statistics indicating sync
hey Hank, I don't believe I received the link to the screenshots. Care to send the link?

I also got the 7500 up and running. Apparently all it needed was for the DSL Sync to come up. After that I was free to bypass the Auto Config wizard :| So much for being able to use the 7500 in Frontier's Fiber to the Home (Legacy) installs via the VersaPort.

The Westell 7500 when it first started up and found sync, auto detected in the background that my line is set to use PPPoE. I didn't wish to use PPPoE. Went into the VC Settings before it attempted to connect (and will work), switched the modem to PPPoA, which I prefer more, set the MTU on VC1 to 1500, and rebooted. I love being able to switch between PPPoE and PPPoA at will. Hope to stick with PPPoA for a while.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Check your IM for links.

That is interesting that you had to let it attain sync before you could get out of the wizard.

I prefer PPPoE because my primary router can be used in the mode when the modems are bridged. Otherwise I have to bridge and use PPTP.

I am beginning to favor firmware Ver 5.02.00.03 in the REV C over firmware Ver 5.02.00.07 used in the REV E series.

I wish my transceiver statistics were even close to your. I am out in the sticks here.

I am still working line issues with Frontier; once resolved I will place the modems in bridge mode to use with my ZyXel USG100 router.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I'm out in the sticks, too! The copper is just in REALLY good shape out here, and it's 24 Gauge. Awesome stuff they've got out here. I'm on an ADTRAN DSLAM, which when first installed used to run off of several T1s. It has Fiber feeding it now, but I'm good to go for some pretty good speeds in the future if Frontier decides to offer them to Residents. My Verizon line doesn't even have this much capacity...

My area, you pretty much have a choice of PPPoE or PPPoA. I can switch between the two at will, and I can also bridge a PPPoA session into a PPPoE for another router to manage. Switching between PPPoE or PPPoA, however, does require a modem reboot. Same with adjusting the MTU (I'm running 1500 on PPPoA right now).

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

They have installed the ADTran DSLAM in Ridgely, but here in the Romney CO we are still on the old stuff and only 4 old copper T1's for over a 100 customers in my area.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

4 edits

4 T1s? Ouch! They need to get rid of those T1s and get Fiber up and running ASAP. Our CO here has an OC3 feeding it, and they've had no issues with congestion at the CO level since installing it. Same with the remotes in this area, which are on Fiber as well. The congestion we see is further up the stream towards Rochester, and takes place early in the morning (7-9AM) and also from 5PM and gradually gets worse towards 10:30PM, where the line will start to come back up to speed pretty quickly.

I have a 14GB download running on my line at the moment as well as a video game. The speeds are jumping around anywhere from 40KB/s to 390KB/s. Here's a traceroute. I guess you can see where the problem is ;D. 74.40.62.37 is in a POP in Rochester, NY.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [74.125.113.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dslrouter.westell.com [192.168.1.1]
  2    17 ms    17 ms    16 ms  74-37-224-1.dsl1.hlcm.ny.frontiernet.net [74.37.224.1]
  3     *       76 ms    80 ms  74.40.62.37
  4    73 ms    91 ms    67 ms  ge-3-1--0.ar04.roch.ny.frontiernet.net [65.73.205.5]
  5    56 ms    79 ms    57 ms  ge--7-1-0---0.car01.roch.ny.frontiernet.net [74.45.102.5]
  6    75 ms   126 ms   122 ms  xe--2-2-0---0.cor01.roch.ny.frontiernet.net [74.40.5.73]
  7   116 ms   103 ms    99 ms  ae3---0.cor02.asbn.va.frontiernet.net [74.40.5.18]
  8    98 ms   110 ms    90 ms  ae0---0.cbr01.asbn.va.frontiernet.net [74.40.2.178]
  9    76 ms    91 ms    91 ms  72.14.213.133
 10    89 ms   104 ms    90 ms  216.239.46.248
 11   202 ms   143 ms     *     209.85.241.222
 12    92 ms   118 ms    85 ms  209.85.251.228
 13     *       82 ms     *     216.239.47.250
 14   116 ms   114 ms   123 ms  vw-in-f104.1e100.net [74.125.113.104]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\>

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I pulled a new previously not configured 7500 out of the box this evening. I ran into the situation with this REV E modem as you did. I was not able to log in and configure anything until I let the initial use auto configuration Wizard run. I was able to configure the modem user ID and password plus the carrier log-in information prior to placing it on-line to finish auto configuration.

After it auto configured I then placed it in Bridge Mode using the instruction I previously provided you. There was only one area where there is a step missing with this 5.02.00.07 firmware.
It is now operating in Bridge Mode and as with some other modems the Internet LED remains off when bridged.

I upload some screen shots for the areas where information changes when in Bridge Mode.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Thanks for the screenshots.

What I found interesting is, you didn't even have to enter in a valid PPPoE login for the auto configuration. Basically, as long as the modem got sync, it'd let you do whatever at that point.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Maybe I forgot to send one of the screen shots as I did have to enter a valid login to complete the auto-configuration wizard. But once it is bridged the login is hosted on the ZyXel USG-100.

The user information shows in the Full System Status screen shot.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Hey dudes, I added some small bits of information to the FAQ and also worked on making it a bit more Search Engine Friendly. Just need to wait for Google, BingBot and Slurp to stop by and re-index it at this point. I am working on a user manual for the Netgear 7550 now that I've familiarized myself with the device, so expect that to be coming soon.

uprichukalaa

join:2012-06-08
Huntington, WV
reply to Smith6612

I have ordered a new internet max connection at my apartment. I already have a motorola 2210-02 DSL modem. can you tell me if this modem will work with frontier's service?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

That modem will work fine. Make sure it is set up for PPPoE and the VPU/VCI of 0/35 (standard for most of Frontier's areas), which I believe West Virginia uses when you connect it.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

You're correct VPI/VCI 0/35.

kim g

@frontiernet.net

i am trying to login to my fontier account and i dont know where the password is on the back of my modem... It asks for password to Frontier8267 which is the correct modem #.

marty

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

The default password is usually admin/admin for Frontier modems.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Notes on Netgear 7550 for your faq.

Autoconfig asks you to setup an admin password first time through.
There is no default admin password you must set it.

The default firewall setting is NONE be sure you change it!

Max firewall is VERY restrictive and will block Steam, and other services such as RDP, Yahoo Messenger etc.

Medium is the same as Max but you are able to setup port forwarding.

NOTE! Port forwarding is partially broken - If you setup every rule manually it works as it should. If you want port forwarding to work based on who created the packet the configuration returns the error that the ip address is not in range. I suspect it is in need of a firmware update.

Currently the web address to check for firmware updates is also blank by default. anyone know the correct address to enter for firmware updates?

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Click for full size
There seems to be some confusion about what I am talking about when I say that port forwarding is slightly borked on my modem.

Here is the screen shot. As you can see you cannot setup a Dynamic forward because it is still trying to map it to a particular ip address on your internal network.

(Host still works fine.)

Otherwise I have to manually create the rule and that is a real pain. Too many clicks to create a complicated set of rules.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to Smith6612

Before I forget:

Software Version: VER:06.03.02
Transceiver Revision: 4.4.9.13.1.1
Model Name: B90-755044-15
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Broadband Connection Status: Connected
Broadband IP Address: 50.36.xxx.xxx
Broadband MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Broadband Connection Type: PPPoE
Active Status: 0:22:27:30
Configuration: 096-900300-00 A

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to Smith6612

Was looking for some info on frontier as they happen to be the telco where I'm looking to buy a house.
All I can find on their website says speeds are one of three choices.
6mb 12mb or 25mb all having the "up to" next to it of course.

What I'm wondering is what are the upload speeds on those tiers?
Do they actually deliver close to advertised speeds? (I know how DSL works so no lessons necessary...just a general question)
Do they have any type of usage cap with their service?

Thanks

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

It depends on the area and your location. Upload speed will be around the 700kbps end for the low end, and 2Mbps for the upper end tier. Also, unless you are in a former Verizon area, most legacy Frontier areas seem to max at an upload of 384kbps with 3Mbps download, or 6Mbps download.

As for delivering the actual speed, this again varies per area. Many former Verizon areas have seen speed issues, and the legacy areas tend to have issues. My area had congestion issues for the longest time which are now "resolved" so I do get my 3Mbps/768kbps quite reliably.

As for data caps, there are no known set in stone caps but they have been known to trial phantom usage caps. So far I haven't heard of any news on one officially for roughly two years.

argh

@frontiernet.net
reply to Smith6612

There are a couple of issues I'm having with the Netgear 7550 from Frontier.

1 - is there anyway to configure DHCP so that it will allocate the same IP address for a particular device (i.e. IP address assignment via MAC)

2 - In the typical security configuration for the firewall, it is blocking OUTBOUND tcp traffic to port 993, which is what iOS gmail uses. when I change to minimal security, everything is fine. Security logs also validate this. How can I enable outbound traffic for port 993 when my firewall is set to Typical Security.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

See my notes above.

You need to set it up to medium firewall and then set your outbound rules manually. When setup correctly ports will only be open if initiated from your internal network and any machine can open the port. Opened ports are temporary and session based.

This router has some weird quirks that really need to be fixed I'm still hoping that someone will eventually reverse engineer the firmware and fix these issues and then give everyone an unofficial firmware update.

azelectron
Premium
join:2007-07-28
reply to Smith6612

said by Aranarth:

Notes on Netgear 7550 for your faq.

Autoconfig asks you to setup an admin password first time through.
There is no default admin password you must set it.

There IS a default password on a 7550. Also the initial setup wizard can be disabled via a walled garden page. The default password is... ready?
password
clever right?