uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
prev page · 1 · 2

kim g

@frontiernet.net
reply to Hank

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ

i am trying to login to my fontier account and i dont know where the password is on the back of my modem... It asks for password to Frontier8267 which is the correct modem #.

marty

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

The default password is usually admin/admin for Frontier modems.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Notes on Netgear 7550 for your faq.

Autoconfig asks you to setup an admin password first time through.
There is no default admin password you must set it.

The default firewall setting is NONE be sure you change it!

Max firewall is VERY restrictive and will block Steam, and other services such as RDP, Yahoo Messenger etc.

Medium is the same as Max but you are able to setup port forwarding.

NOTE! Port forwarding is partially broken - If you setup every rule manually it works as it should. If you want port forwarding to work based on who created the packet the configuration returns the error that the ip address is not in range. I suspect it is in need of a firmware update.

Currently the web address to check for firmware updates is also blank by default. anyone know the correct address to enter for firmware updates?

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Click for full size
There seems to be some confusion about what I am talking about when I say that port forwarding is slightly borked on my modem.

Here is the screen shot. As you can see you cannot setup a Dynamic forward because it is still trying to map it to a particular ip address on your internal network.

(Host still works fine.)

Otherwise I have to manually create the rule and that is a real pain. Too many clicks to create a complicated set of rules.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to Smith6612

Before I forget:

Software Version: VER:06.03.02
Transceiver Revision: 4.4.9.13.1.1
Model Name: B90-755044-15
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Broadband Connection Status: Connected
Broadband IP Address: 50.36.xxx.xxx
Broadband MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Broadband Connection Type: PPPoE
Active Status: 0:22:27:30
Configuration: 096-900300-00 A

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to Smith6612

Was looking for some info on frontier as they happen to be the telco where I'm looking to buy a house.
All I can find on their website says speeds are one of three choices.
6mb 12mb or 25mb all having the "up to" next to it of course.

What I'm wondering is what are the upload speeds on those tiers?
Do they actually deliver close to advertised speeds? (I know how DSL works so no lessons necessary...just a general question)
Do they have any type of usage cap with their service?

Thanks

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

It depends on the area and your location. Upload speed will be around the 700kbps end for the low end, and 2Mbps for the upper end tier. Also, unless you are in a former Verizon area, most legacy Frontier areas seem to max at an upload of 384kbps with 3Mbps download, or 6Mbps download.

As for delivering the actual speed, this again varies per area. Many former Verizon areas have seen speed issues, and the legacy areas tend to have issues. My area had congestion issues for the longest time which are now "resolved" so I do get my 3Mbps/768kbps quite reliably.

As for data caps, there are no known set in stone caps but they have been known to trial phantom usage caps. So far I haven't heard of any news on one officially for roughly two years.

argh

@frontiernet.net
reply to Smith6612

There are a couple of issues I'm having with the Netgear 7550 from Frontier.

1 - is there anyway to configure DHCP so that it will allocate the same IP address for a particular device (i.e. IP address assignment via MAC)

2 - In the typical security configuration for the firewall, it is blocking OUTBOUND tcp traffic to port 993, which is what iOS gmail uses. when I change to minimal security, everything is fine. Security logs also validate this. How can I enable outbound traffic for port 993 when my firewall is set to Typical Security.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

See my notes above.

You need to set it up to medium firewall and then set your outbound rules manually. When setup correctly ports will only be open if initiated from your internal network and any machine can open the port. Opened ports are temporary and session based.

This router has some weird quirks that really need to be fixed I'm still hoping that someone will eventually reverse engineer the firmware and fix these issues and then give everyone an unofficial firmware update.

azelectron
Premium
join:2007-07-28
reply to Smith6612

said by Aranarth:

There IS a default password on a 7550. Also the initial setup wizard can be disabled via a walled garden page. The default password is... ready?
password
clever right?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by azelectron:

said by Aranarth:

There IS a default password on a 7550. Also the initial setup wizard can be disabled via a walled garden page. The default password is... ready?
password
clever right?

How is this accomplished and does this permanently disable the setup wizard or does it return when reset to factory default?

azelectron
Premium
join:2007-07-28

2 recommendations

You can access the firmware without deactivating the garden by just hitting cancel while in the wizard. The address to the garden switch is

»192.168.254.254/redirect.asp

This setup wizard is for all intents and purposes is the walled garden of sorts and so it is automatically set to disabled (i.e. the button will read "enable" ) following a successful PPPoE authentication from within the wizard.

You can also tell if it is disabled from the main f/w page Left hand column "My Gateway". If it is still enabled and the wizard has yet to be successfully run it will read "Need to run setup wizard". If the garden is disabled it will say "Gateway status Go! Your gateway is ready for internet access" or possibly(if there are connection issues), "Connecting! Your Gateway is not ready for Internet access!".

Yes the wizard would reactivate after a factory reset. You can also click "re-run setup wizard" in the firmware on the bottom left of the main page "quick links" or from the "Advanced" menu.

I'm sure it has been covered elsewhere on this forum, but fyi, the firmware option in the advanced menu to reset to defaults will not completely reset the modem to factory. For instance, the PPP username and password will not be cleared. It is more of a soft reset. To Hard reset the device, hold the reset button (button inside the little tiny hole) down for about 30 seconds. A quick push of this button(4 - 6 secs.) should just reset the modem password to default and leave the rest of the users information intact as well ( wireless info etc. ). True factory default modem login is admin / password

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

I tried your procedure, if I hit Cancel in the Wizard, it just starts the Wizard over again. Can you tell me what version of firmware your modem has?

FTRTECH

@suddenlink.net

Hit Cancel in the wizard and then go to walled garden and hit the disable button. Should not load setup wizard again unless you tell it to or hard reset.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Smith6612

Hey everyone,

I will be shortly making the FAQ into a Wiki so others can continue editing and improving upon everything, as I do not use Frontier DSL anymore (perhaps you've seen the review I updated?). If you'd like to edit it, please contact me once I've set up the Wiki so that I can make an account for you. I won't make this editable for everyone due to the fact that Wikis are prone to spam otherwise. Don't need that hitting my server.

Alternatively, making an official FAQ here at DSLReports could also make things much, much easier rather than having it all hosted on my server.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Thanks, your participation in this forum has been and is very much appreciated. Hope you continue to be active in it.

Hank

System
reply to Smith6612

This topic has been un-stickied by grobinette See Profile

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to Smith6612

Re: Unoffical Frontier FAQ

said by ]This topic has been un-stickied [/bquote :

This really the correct thing to do? Did you just take this action because it was to large of a post?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA

1 recommendation

That is the only way to make this thread active again. It is time ladies and gentlemen to consider an official FAQ »FAQ Owners' FAQ

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to Smith6612

For those in need of a bridging/DD-WRT solution using the Actiontec FV2200:

»[DSL] Actiontec FV2200 in Bridge mode to DD-WRT router- Success!