spc
Search similar:

uniqs
phantom6294
join:2002-02-27
Abingdon, MD

phantom6294

[Tech] Road Noise - Bearing?

I've got a '08 Toyota Sienna with ~56k miles. It is a certified pre-owned purchased back in April with ~49k miles. As part of the certification process, new tires and front brakes were installed.

Lately, I've been noticing a lot more 'road' noise. It is ONLY speed dependent; i.e. it does not change with engine speed, gear selection, brake pressure, etc. The only thing, other than speed, that does change the noise is steering. While driving, if I steer right, noise goes away -- as soon as I straighten out, noise comes right back. The noise is quite noticeable at speeds as low as 25 MPH. Last night, took a good look and feel of both front tires -- both are okay on air pressure and neither show any sign of abnormal wear.

Given all that, I suspect a bad bearing, and came across this which would imply it is the right wheel bearing.

Basically, I am looking for any other thoughts on what it might be. Obviously, since it is only speed dependent, that tends to limit possible causes. Though the car is under warranty, and suspect any fix should be under warranty, I prefer to go into any servicing situation with knowledge and some level of expectation of possible problem(s). It certainly can't hurt to help point the technician in the right direction.

TIA.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Bearing or CV joint would be my suspect. Jacking it up and running with the wheels off the ground might pin point it more.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to phantom6294

MVM

to phantom6294
Based on your description, it is a bad wheel bearing.
kubus
join:2000-12-22
Irwin, PA

kubus to phantom6294

to phantom6294
bearing and change both at the same time.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

What do you mean "both"?

phantom6294
join:2002-02-27
Abingdon, MD

phantom6294

said by Cho Baka:

What do you mean "both"?
I would guess he means change both left and right side bearings.

In any case, my suspicions were correct, it was a bad bearing and it was replaced under warranty. Only one bearing replaced though....

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

That is fine.

The reason I asked is that usually only one is required, and on this vehicle each wheel only requires a single bearing (as opposed to older designs that used an inner and outer tapered bearing for each wheel).