O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to 61999674

Re: Aluminum Fence Ties

Squirrels chew on lead cables, HDPE armored steel cables, power cables, coax, fences, vinyl siding, siding in general - they chew on anything. They are very destructive. They've ruined the gable vents on my shed. They've chewed up the corners several times. They even chew on the roof rake. I've had them chew right through drop clamps. They also have chewed through my tie wires, but I switched to steel. They still chew on them, but it takes longer. My fence is rusty anyway, so I don't mind the steel wires.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Sefirot
said by Sefirot:

...What, were you expecting me to be all mad max and have a fence dome completely covering my property and these squirrels were attempting to bust in to steal my gas?
thanks... now i have beer on my keyboard.

ROFLMFAO

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to 61999674
said by 61999674:

Wanting to shoot all the squirrels and I guess all the wildlife gives me a clue you are NOT country material.
Seriously? Now you're just making shit up...
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04

3 edits
reply to 61999674
said by 61999674:

Wanting to shoot all the squirrels and I guess all the wildlife gives me a clue you are NOT country material.

I find it very strange squirrels are "eating" something that can be deadly to them, how about some pictures of them doing it,squirrels do things for food, shelter, or defense, HEY maybe that's it, they are de-fencing your yard, not to piss you off.
I/We can't possibly take anything you say seriously after reading your stuff in this thread. It's great comedy so as long as it was meant for that then keep it up!

You should ask every dog on the planet why they like to eat chocolate when it's 'DEADLY' to them.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Sefirot
said by Sefirot:

2) Whatever a rodenator is. (I'll look it up at home)
Rodenator is basically a propane bomb. It looks like a pressure washer and you fill an underground borrow with propane. After enough has built up (it's heavier then air so it tends to just settle and linger) you fire it, igniting the propane causing a small explosion. The concussion force kills any vermin and also collapses the tunnel system.

ElminsterOld

reply to Sefirot
To be exact it's an oxygen bomb.

"When used with the Rodenator™, a precise mixture of 3% propane and 97% oxygen is injected into the tunnel for a predetermined amount of time. When this gas mixture is detonated by the Rodenator R1™, the gasses rapidly expand inside the tunnel, creating a underground shockwave that eliminates the animal within the tunnel and collapses the tunnel system of some burrowing species."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to nunya
I swear people are living near a nuclear power plant that generates genetically modified squirrels....

Never seen a squirrel chew thru any part of our chain link fence and none of the ties are broken in the 11 years we have been here.

Maybe we have more food\nuts available for them to chew on. We actually have 2 nests in our trees.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Sefirot

join:2009-09-11
Albany, GA
reply to 61999674
said by 61999674:

I find it very strange squirrels are "eating" something that can be deadly to them, how about some pictures of them doing it,squirrels do things for food, shelter, or defense, HEY maybe that's it, they are de-fencing your yard, not to piss you off.
Cool story bro, 10/10 would read again.

To the sane responders, I think I'll try getting some heavier gauge wire and cover it with the pepper / dish soap formula and see how that goes.

I can relate nunya, the fence ties are just a pain to keep replacing but we've had them chew through the roof supports on an old barn in the back of our property as well. Its just crazy what these little pests can do.

ElminsterOld

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I swear people are living near a nuclear power plant that generates genetically modified squirrels....

Never seen a squirrel chew thru any part of our chain link fence and none of the ties are broken in the 11 years we have been here.

Maybe we have more food\nuts available for them to chew on. We actually have 2 nests in our trees.
Yea it's pretty isolated incident. I only got 5 million hits on Google about that happening.

"We live in Asheville, NC and the squirrels are eating the aluminum tabs that hold the chain link fence to the posts. Nothing else is disturbed but all the aluminum tabs are gnawed on and/or eaten completely through."
»en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals···inum.htm

"Squirrels gnaw the siding off the house. They eat aluminum gutters."
»www.islandpacket.com/2010/01/14/···may.html

"Squirrels often are considered nuisances by homeowners. The animals can chew aluminum siding, electrical wires and trim and shred insulation in your home, says Joseph D'Agnese of "This Old House" magazine."
»www.ehow.com/how_6777571_do-rid-···v59kE5rD

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium
join:2002-03-12
reply to 61999674
Click for full size
Click for full size
BC ...I see by your tag you have been a member since 2000...surely your not just trolling. So for your benefit I have included the above pics.
--
Honk if you love Jesus. Text while driving if you want to meet Him.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

1 edit
reply to Sefirot
Looks just like my fence. Damn tree rats! That's why I keep a pack of new ties around and replace the chewed up ones every year.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
reply to Sefirot
Yes indeed, squirrels are simply rodents - destructive rodents - same as rats but with a fluffy tail. And yes, living in the country you need to protect stuff you paid money for and took the time to set-up/install/etc. I've read that squirrels will populate an area as long as there is a food supply, so, if 'x' acres will support 'y' number of squirrels and you shoot some squirrels, then more will be born or move in to reach the squirrel-to-food ratio.

Squirrels need to be controlled, especially in the country where a person needs to take care of things themselves rather than hiring someone (as often done by city folk). The same for armadillo and gopher tortoise. Thinning out squirrels is responsible, the same is shooting any farm animal rather than letting it suffer - this is the way it is.

And yes, some of the suggestions are worth a try - like different types of wire ties (the al ties are especially soft - that's why you can install them by hand and maybe that's why squirrels chew on them )?? And a different type wire would probably cost less than shot shells. Still need to keep the little buggers under control tho!

Robert