All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
trmarch
join:2004-02-13

trmarch

[General] Slow (~1/2) DL speed w/AT&T DSL Pro in SF, CA

I'm experiencing slow download speeds with my AT&T DSL Pro package. (I upgraded to this service back in 2005, and it's possible that I've never experienced the correct speeds since then.)

Speed tests show about 0.7 Mb/s download speed, and I should be getting at least 1.5 Mb/s, according to the advertised package.

Any help would be much appreciated

Here's my info:

1. AT&T DSL package: Pro (3.0 Mbps down)

2. Modem brand and model: SpeedStream 4100

3. Router brand and model: Apple Airport Extreme with 802.11n

4. PPPoE login info entered in: Router.

5. Lights on the modem when the trouble occurs: All green/correct.

6. Checked that ALL devices plugged into wall jacks serviced by DSL phone # have filters fitted: Yes.

7. Powered off the modem and started it again: Yes.
Whether or not that made any changes with your problem: No.

8. Hear any noise have any other unusual telephone symptoms: No.

9. Line stats:
(Gathered after restarting modem.)

ADSL Information
Line State UP
Modulation G.dmt
Data Path interleaved

To Modem To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3008 512
SN Margin (dB) 14.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.5 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 2 2

10. Speedtest.net results:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4164.png

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

You have two threads going on the same subject. Pick one and stay with that one.

»[Tweak Test] Not getting advertised DL speed for AT&T DSL Pro

Your Line Attenuation is poor.

SoBay
@sbcglobal.net

SoBay to trmarch

Anon

to trmarch
South Bay here; something could be up, as download speed via Bittorrent varies wildly between a max of about 40 kB/s down to 10 kB/s, and it should be much, much faster. Even using xdcc via IRC results in a very slow transfer speed. Where I live the service is supposed to be 1.5Mb/s. Everything seemed fine up until a few hours ago.
SoBay

SoBay to trmarch

Anon

to trmarch
Update: Just before I made my previous post, Bittorrent had been running. At around 6:40PM local time, the speed began an upward trend, albeit in a rather sawtooth pattern, as depicted on the Bittorrent speed graph. About three minutes later, the download speed stabilized at the maximum and remained there for most of the rest of the download time, with small hiccups, which was about forty minutes.

As of right now (7:30 local time) it would appear that the speeds have mostly recovered; even Megaupload's "regular" speed is back to how it normally is (earlier, it would begin at top speed and then taper off down to a very low level).