spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DRose

@wideopenwest.com

Consumer DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems

So I'm going to get Comcast HSI, and I want to buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I found a nice link of the ones that Comcast apparently supports:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/Display···=2&dir=1

But of course, not all of them are for sale, for me to buy. There lies my question, I know the Motorola Surfboard SB6120 is available, and I saw a ZoomTelephonics 5341, shown here:

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Zoom+-+DOCS···75866634

My main question, is are those the only two consumer DOCSIS 3.0 products available? More importantly, why is that? It seems that the standard has been out for multiple years now, and the typical laws of capitalism (Motorola essentially seems to have a monopoly on consumer DOCSIS 3.0 modems, you would think Cisco, NetGear, Linksys, etc. would pump out their consumer products) are not at play here, so there is something else going on. And of those two, it seems that Motorola is much more popular, but does anyone have experience with the Zoom 5341 and Comcast HSI?

Thanks.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Try this site, it should cover any questions you may have on what will and wont work. Youll have to see from there, what is available, and whats not.

DRose

@wideopenwest.com
reply to DRose
Well, I linked to that in my post, so I know about that website. Doesn't really answer my questions though...
Expand your moderator at work

DRose

@wideopenwest.com
reply to DRose

Re: Consumer DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems

I hope you guys are not serious? Do you even know what my question is? I've been trying to find the answer for a week, how would you go about "researching" or "doing you're homework" related to my question? I've searched these forums, bing/google/yahoo, and I seriously don't know why there are not more consumer DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems out. The standard was set in August 2006, so whats the hold up? I understand some modems are sold exclusively to ISPs, but where are the consumer products?

I understand slow adoption, but its already been 4 years! DOCSIS 3.0 is rolling out all over the place, and yet all I see are 2 cable modems I can buy, one that came out just recently.

Can someone less condescending help me out here?
Expand your moderator at work

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to DRose

said by DRose :

My main question, is are those the only two consumer DOCSIS 3.0 products available? More importantly, why is that? ... does anyone have experience with the Zoom 5341 and Comcast HSI?
I tried some forum searches myself and didn't find anything which answers your questions or any discussion by anyone using the Zoom 5341. The only reference to it I found was this: »Re: [Connectivity] Motorola SBG6580

Since the beginning of the DOCSIS 3 rollout, I have tried to keep links to various discussions related to DOCSIS 3, including modems, in the first post in this thread: »Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here.

Perhaps something there will be helpful to you.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:109
reply to DRose
said by DRose :

The standard was set in August 2006, so whats the hold up? I understand some modems are sold exclusively to ISPs, but where are the consumer products?

I understand slow adoption, but its already been 4 years! DOCSIS 3.0 is rolling out all over the place, and yet all I see are 2 cable modems I can buy, one that came out just recently.
Over the years many makers of DOCSIS cable modems have exited the business: 3Com, Terayon, Toshiba, Com21 etc.

The margins on cable modems have tightened to the point where it didn't make sense for some of these companies to continue producing DOCSIS cable modems.

With that said I know that the Arris WBM760 used to be on sale at Frys but they must have pulled it for some reason (searching their site yielded no results.) Doing some additional searches it would seem that only Motorola (SB6120, SBG6580) and Zoom (5341) DOCSIS 3.0 modems are available through retail channels.

Currently most DOCSIS 3.0 modems can bond 4 downstreams and 4 upstreams (4x4) In the near future we should start seeing 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modems:

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Could be that some vendors are waiting on the newer chipsets? Just a thought anyway, hope you find some of this useful.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

1 recommendation

reply to DRose
Is it money your concerned about or availability?The SB6120 should cover all of your needs via HSI.I am not sure but I don't think your going to find a telephony available to the public if your going with the CDV as well.I am not certain on that but many ppl including myself have found it hard to find one unless its used on ebay and you don't want to ever buy a used cable modem because of it possibly remaining on somebodies account who fell short of returning it.I have not personally used a zoom modem for cable I have for Dsl and I am not a zoom fan to say the least.The motorola has basicly a 5 star rating anywhere they sell them.You will find negative reviews here about them and its ppl posting bad reviews about equipment and their problem being elsewhere in their system but everybody wants to jump the gun and blame the modem first.You will be satified with the motorola if u decide thats the route to take reguardless.I think netgear and linksys would be a good alternative to explore but I would buy the SB6120 I have one and I am no internet dummy and I am also a harcore Xbox live junkie.I have had it a year and it works its ass off every night and it has performed flawlessly.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to DRose
Good question as I was just thinking about this myself last night. In my research I have found Motorola to be the only real player here.

I see the link you posted to the Zoom modem but to me, (I can't say for sure though) it looks like another re-branded Hitron modem.
»www.hitron.com.tw/en/main.php?ac···how&id=9

In my experience, Hitron modems don't seem to do to well on the Comcast system. I haven't used their D3 modem yet but, me and anyone else I've known who have used their D2 modem had problems with them even with specialized firmware they made for Comcast customers (The D-Link DCM-202).
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to DRose

I just installed the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3 modem

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have just installed a new Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3 modem,as a replacement for a old faulty Motorola modem at my sisters house.The speeds are the same as I get with my SB6120 and the modem pages have more information on them and also show the config file name (highlighted in pic). Password modem page not shown.

DRose

@wideopenwest.com
reply to DRose

Ok thanks guys, price really isn't the issue, so I'll probably end up getting the Motorola SB6120 based on the great reviews. Then again, variety is the spice of life, so I was just wondering why it was lacking in this case and what else is available.

I'll keep reading up, thanks for the links/images of the config files!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by DRose :

so I was just wondering why it was lacking in this case and what else is available.
It's wantin' fer nuthin' performance wise that is !! It's a modem. A piece of hardware that doesn't have many variables other than performance and quality and IMO both of those qualities are there !

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to DRose
One good thing about getting a SB6120: If Comcast F's up a firmware update or CMTS setting, everybody will find out about it FAST!!

serpterion

join:2008-06-25
Hagerstown, MD
reply to DRose
DRose,

What you can get for residential connections. (I'm assuming the "Flavors" you're looking for):

Arris WBM760A
Ubee U10C035
Netgear CMD31T
Motorola SB6120
SMC SMCD3CM

Those are all D3 modems currently out in the market pegged for residential users.

All those companies have other varieties like business class modems that have 4 port switches on the back of them. Some have wireless cable modems. Docsis 3.0 EMTA's as well.

That's about it for cable modems.. It lacks more variety because it costs a bit of money to spec out a D3 capable modem and then a bit more to get it certified.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

I'll add the Cisco DPC3000 which I am currently using. I trade off between that and a Moto SB6120 and I find no difference in performance. Both are very good modems.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to DRose
I think part of it might be that Motorola has an in with the cable providers, and a surprisingly large number of modems are rented, so whatever the cable company chooses, wins.

You can't own the hardware for CDV, because of the liability of e911 and other configurations related to the telephone service. If you want CDV and want to own your own modem, you can have the eMTA handle CDV, and a separate modem handle data, but you'd then have to pay the monthly rental fee and buy.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 edit
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

One good thing about getting a SB6120: If Comcast F's up a firmware update or CMTS setting, everybody will find out about it FAST!!
I'll add about Motorola vs Cisco/Linksys:

It makes me wonder why Motorola modems need so many updated firmware versions while the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4 is never updated by Comcast. Hmmmmmm!

Can anyone chime in on how often the Cisco modem's firmware is updated?
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

bikenski

join:2010-06-22
Denver, CO
said by Johkal:

It makes me wonder why Motorola modems need so many updated firmware versions while the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4 is never updated by Comcast. Hmmmmmm!
Probably because the BEFCMU10 is a relatively mature DOCSIS 2.0 modem, and the SB6120 is a much newer and rapidly evolving DOCSIS 3.0 modem. In another few years I'm sure you won't see many firmware updates being pushed to the SB6120s either.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Actually I didn't mean to compare the BEFCMU10 to the SB6120; but rather in reference to Motorola modems such as the SB5100, SB5120 & SB5101 that have been updated with constant firmware version as apparently the SB6120 is.
--

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
My previous SB5120 was on one version (2.19.0.10) for nearly 2 years (3/07 - 3/09). The latest updates were after D3 started rolling out.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
said by andyross:

My previous SB5120 was on one version (2.19.0.10) for nearly 2 years (3/07 - 3/09). The latest updates were after D3 started rolling out.
2 years isn't bad, but I can tell you that the SB5120 has had over a dozen firmware versions since it was leased/sold; whereas the Linksys has had no changes.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by Johkal:

whereas the Linksys has had no changes.
A question would be is has the manufacturer (Linksys in this case) provided any updated firmwares to the ISP's (CC in this case) ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
said by EG:

said by Johkal:

whereas the Linksys has had no changes.
A question would be is has the manufacturer (Linksys in this case) provided any updated firmwares to the ISP's (CC in this case) ?
I would say not. If I had to guess: Firmware updates address issues; so, I guess Comcast had no requests for updates for the Linksys based on its performance record.
--

Zoom User

@cox.net
reply to Ripper

Re: I just installed the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3 modem

How do you access this web interface?

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

»192.168.100.1 No user name or password needed, if you want those,you can set them in one of the interface pages.

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09

1 edit
reply to DRose

Re: Consumer DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems - Cisco DPC3212

All of the current D3 modems use the same texas instrument chipset (puma 5). The only one that uses something different is the one I haven't seen released yet the DPC3212 which will use the new Broadcom D3 chipset.

cmtsguy

@comcast.net

1 edit

Re: Consumer DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems - Motorola SBG6580

said by noisefloor:

All of the current D3 modems use the same texas instrument chipset (puma 5). The only one that uses something different is the one I haven't seen released yet the DPC3212 which will use the new Broadcom D3 chipset.
I believe the Motorola SBG6580 (8x4 bonding) is using the newer Broadcom chipset - which is available now through retail.

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to noisefloor

DOCSIS 3 Modems/Chipsets

said by noisefloor:

Here is a link showing all the D3 modems and chipset:
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to cmtsguy

Re: Consumer DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems - Motorola SBG6580

Have you played with any of the broadcom D3's yet? I've been waiting a while to get my hands on one. I'm personally a fan of broadcom over Ti...