spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kac
@fotf.org

kac

Anon

[general] Need modem advice...

I need some advice on finding a modem that will work for me. I just had service to my house activated which will be 40mbps download, and 20mbps upload speeds. On the phone, Qwest actually told me this would not be run through a phone line, but would be cable internet. The tech came today, and ends up it is run through a phone line! So the cable modem I bought is useless. I don't know if this is DSL service, or what to call it. I didn't think that DSL normally was this fast.
I have found some modems but it looks like those won't be fast enough for what I'm paying for.
What do you call the correct type of modem that I need? I don't care about wireless capabilities since I already have a wireless router, I just need a modem.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Normally you get a Free Modem with a new service when you sign up. What happened with that?

kac
@fotf.org

kac to kac

Anon

to kac
You can either buy one from them or lease on a monthly basis. I'd like to buy one elsewhere since I'm sure they are marking it up!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You should consider getting the same exact modem model that they supply so you will be supported. Otherwise you may have issues. Plus you would want to make sure what you need, ADSL2+ or VDSL or whatever they are selling.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to kac

Mod

to kac
Seeing this is for Qwest, let's get you moved over to our Qwest forum for some help.
questionable1
join:2005-10-18
Phoenix, AZ

questionable1 to kac

to kac
There is only one modem that you can get that will work (currently) with VDSL2+. The modem is a Q1000 and you should have gotten one from Qwest as they are the only place (that i know of) that sells it.
mrhuggles
join:2007-03-29
Ames, IA

mrhuggles

what is going on with you people? just get whatever VDSL2 modem gets the highest ratings on review websites... its like buying anything else online.

i dont actually have any advice for what VDSL2 modem is going to be the best since i have ADSL, but for that my zoom ended up performing really well, whatever you get i advise you to get something without a router of any kind built in.

kac
@fotf.org

kac

Anon

mrhuggles,
My problem is that I didn't KNOW I needed a VDSL2 modem... that was my question, not which specific model, but more which type. Sorry for not being very clear. Do you know of any modems this fast without routers built in?

Thanks questionable,
you are right, they sent me a Q1000--so does it sound like I have VDSL2+? That's part of what I was unsure of...
mrhuggles
Ames, IA

1 edit

mrhuggles

if you connect at above 7168kbit downstream or above 896k upstream, you are using either ADSL2+ or VDSL, with a Q1000 i think you are having VDSL for sure.

imho its probably definatly best to buy a name brand modem instead of one from actiotec, pretty much nothing with tec or tel in it :P i like zoom.
EDIT: oh yeah and motorola they make good modems too.
questionable1
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

questionable1 to kac

to kac
said by kac :

mrhuggles,
My problem is that I didn't KNOW I needed a VDSL2 modem... that was my question, not which specific model, but more which type. Sorry for not being very clear. Do you know of any modems this fast without routers built in?

Thanks questionable,
you are right, they sent me a Q1000--so does it sound like I have VDSL2+? That's part of what I was unsure of...
if you have 40/20 then you have VDSL2+ and the Q1000 is the only modem you can use according to Qwest

Edit: Qwest might have changed there stance on the Modem...
mrhuggles
Ames, IA

mrhuggles

how qwest feels emotionally about what modems you should use is not always going to be the same as what modem you should use to get the best most stable connection.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to kac

to kac
said by kac :

I need some advice on finding a modem that will work for me. I just had service to my house activated which will be 40mbps download, and 20mbps upload speeds. On the phone, Qwest actually told me this would not be run through a phone line, but would be cable internet. The tech came today, and ends up it is run through a phone line! So the cable modem I bought is useless. I don't know if this is DSL service, or what to call it. I didn't think that DSL normally was this fast.
I have found some modems but it looks like those won't be fast enough for what I'm paying for.
What do you call the correct type of modem that I need? I don't care about wireless capabilities since I already have a wireless router, I just need a modem.
Hello Kac, Steph from Qwest here,

I'm sorry to hear about the confusing situation with the modem. If you have 40m/20m with us, then you would indeed have VDSL2 and although if you purchase our modem we can provide additional technical support (if needed), most VDSL2 capable modems should indeed work for your service. If you need additional information or assistance, please feel free to email me at talktous@qwest.com.

thank you

Steph Lake
Manager, Talk To Qwest Team

"At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to kac

to kac
Qwest has 20 upload?
mrhuggles
Ames, IA

mrhuggles

it is possible with linebonding
questionable1
Phoenix, AZ

questionable1 to nonymous

to nonymous
yes just not in Phoenix. Most of use are stuck with 5 meg up
satcomranger
join:2010-08-09
Colorado Springs, CO

satcomranger to CenturyLink

to CenturyLink
said by CenturyLink:

...most VDSL2 capable modems should indeed work for your service.
Good evening,

I have searched around the Qwest site and this forum for information on vdsl2 modems compatible with Qwests 12Mbps service in Colorado Springs, CO. I have chatted with three different Qwest customer support individuals with one saying yes any VDSL2 modem should work, and two saying only the approved ZyXEL Q100 and Actiontec Q1000 VDSL2 modems will work.

Mr. Lake, would you be able to confirm your earlier statement that most VDSL2 modems, i.e. the Actiontec V1000, work with the Qwest service?

Thanks
SR
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

said by satcomranger:

said by CenturyLink:

...most VDSL2 capable modems should indeed work for your service.
Good evening,

I have searched around the Qwest site and this forum for information on vdsl2 modems compatible with Qwests 12Mbps service in Colorado Springs, CO. I have chatted with three different Qwest customer support individuals with one saying yes any VDSL2 modem should work, and two saying only the approved ZyXEL Q100 and Actiontec Q1000 VDSL2 modems will work.

Mr. Lake, would you be able to confirm your earlier statement that most VDSL2 modems, i.e. the Actiontec V1000, work with the Qwest service?

Thanks
SR
Hi SR,

The ZyXelQ100 and the Actiontec Q1000 VDSL2 modems are the only approved and supported modems by Qwest, we never recommend a customer purchase a VDSL2 non supported modem because we aren't familiar with the product. I can't confirm that the Actiontec v1000 will work with VDSL2 because I'm unfamiliar with the product, however, if you are familiar with it and believe it is a VDSL2 modem with the right capabilities, and you don't feel you will require support with the set up or troubleshooting of it, then you will likely be able to use it.

thank you

Steph Lake
Manager, Talk To Qwest Team

"At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.
satcomranger
join:2010-08-09
Colorado Springs, CO

satcomranger to kac

to kac
Thank you TTQ!