share rss forum feed

lordie
been there, done that..

join:2001-11-13
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to supergeeky

Re: Comcast blocked port 25 (SMTP)???

said by supergeeky:

Is your Comcast connection really your own account?

I have come across (more than once, sadly) where another "ISP/telco" was essentially reselling a Comcast business account, meaning they put a Comcast modem in the basement of a building, with a switch, then gave different companies in the building their own "dedicated" Ethernet run that went back to that switch, they also "gave" each tenant who signed up for "their" service one of the static IP's from the Comcast account. Another company in the building was spamming, and thus Comcast blocked port 25 for all the IPs on the account.

I'd suggest you contact Comcast and have them help you. They may just turn it back on without asking allot of questions.
Yes, it is my own, in my house, no other user on that Modem.
I don't mind if port 25 is blocked. I do not use Comcast's SMTP service anyway and I access all my email accounts vial webmail (gmail).. Or use my email's provider secure SMTP server via another port.
--
»www.litman.com

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
It could be a false positive, but I doubt it.

Something on your network / PC's is sending messages out at a high rate. It takes a good bit for that to be triggered.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3
reply to lordie
I've found that port 25 is always blocked on Comcast residential accounts - only on the business accounts is it allowed... in which case, perhaps the letter is in error?

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:109
said by supergeeky:

I've found that port 25 is always blocked on Comcast residential accounts - only on the business accounts is it allowed... in which case, perhaps the letter is in error?
It's not blocked by default:

»customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQVi···Internet

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to supergeeky
said by supergeeky:

I've found that port 25 is always blocked on Comcast residential accounts - only on the business accounts is it allowed...
Disagree ! I've known many people that are Comcast subs and also have read many posts on various forums and I've never seen a pattern or any evidence to indicate/prove your assertion. I have been a CC residential subscriber for nine years myself and port 25 always was and still is open and active here..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to supergeeky
said by supergeeky:

I've tested from my sister's Comcast connection in Oregon, from time to time, and never found their connection to have a port 25 block. Per their own policy, Comcast only blocks port 25 out on a case-by-case basis.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum