spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Richard2011
join:2009-04-24
Madison, NC

Richard2011

Setting Up 2nd Wireless Router

I have a rather large home, and I'd like to expand the range of wireless connectivity by putting another wireless router in. I have a Linksys WRT150N that I used with my previous ISP and the P-660HW-D1 v2 that I currently use with CenturyLink. The P-660HW-D1 v2 is all the way on one side of the house, and I'd like to put a 2nd on the opposite end. Is it possible have this setup? If so, could someone post instructions or a link to a tutorial?

joebleed
join:2002-05-28
Tarboro, NC

joebleed

Is the wireless signal from your main router not reaching and computers not connecting or have flaky connections on that side of the house?

If you put the second one in were you planning on running a network cable to connect them?

Yes it can be done, but if it works fine as it is, i wouldn't add the other wireless router.
Richard2011
join:2009-04-24
Madison, NC

1 edit

Richard2011

The signal on the other side of the house is very weak and does not reach one corner of the house. Are there any downsides to adding a 2nd wireless router?

joebleed
join:2002-05-28
Tarboro, NC

joebleed

Not really, it just adds extra failure points and problem solving steps.

Just take the second router, configure it separately. Disable just about all of the lan features. (dhcp, routing and such) If it has an option, put it in AP mode so it acts like an access point and not a router. Change the router address to an unused address that is on the same subnet as the first router. like if the first router is 192.168.1.1 make the second one 192.168.1.2 assuming nothing else is using 2. The main router should handle all the dhcp requests and routing.

Then just configure the wireless side to what you want.

I would prefer running a network cable in between them for connection/back-haul between the two devices. Some support bridging over wireless while acting as an access point too, some seem to only do one or the other. So you may or may not need to use a wire. But i would recommend it if you could run one.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Richard2011

to Richard2011
Check if the Linksys wireless router is compatible with the ZyXEL Modem/Router as a wireless repeater. I wound up using a wireless repeater to provide coverage in one area in my previous residence. No CAT 5 cables were required. In another area I used Homeplug adapters to extend the signal to a wireless router used as an access point, rather then install a CAT 5 Cable. You can use your Linksys router via CAT 5 cable or Homeplug networking device if it cannot be used as a repeater. Just set it to a different channel than the ZyXEL Gateway. Recommend using channels 1, 6, 11.