how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dv8silencer8

join:2005-01-18
Princeton, WV

Business class overuse termination question

I plan on changing to business class. Say I use 5+ TB or however many TB's that would cause them to be alerted. (Not that I plan to but who knows...). Now if I were under contract (if you sign one it says online that the installation fee goes down), and they terminated me, would I still have to pay some fee (a break of contract fee that I assume is present).

PerfectCode

join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

Interesting question sir.

rwong48

join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA
reply to dv8silencer8

I believe you don't, since you did not break the contract, they did.

I hear something along the lines of contracts on Len Tillem's KGO AM 810 show all the time. A wedding ring is sort of a contract.. "if you marry me, I'll give you this ring." That's a contract. If the guy breaks the contract, he can't get the ring back. But if the girl breaks the contract, he has the right to get the ring back, because he held up his side of the contract.

That is, assuming that the guy is proposing to the girl and offering her the ring.

Hope that helped. Not sure if it applies to Comcast terminology/contracts but it is a general idea of how contracts work.

PerfectCode

join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

1 edit

So how likely would it be that Comcast would terminate a business class customer if they were to use 5TB/m?

*Robot voice* "This is Comcast. YOU HAVE BEEN TERMINATED."

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to dv8silencer8

I am not really understanding the ? because if the contract says what it says then stay inside the guidelines so your able to keep your service.Its a legitiment ?Unless you justwant to see how fast you can get in their termination process and don't want any fees lol.If they terminated my contract I would not pay them a dime because its forever.You can never get their service under your name and not your adress ever again so whats the use in paying some fee.If you sign a contract that says don't go over so and so amount then whats the use in signing it if you plan to???

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to dv8silencer8

I was thinking about modem hacking when I said termanation forever so I am not sure about going over.I think they should have a flat rate for buisness and a flat rate for residential and charge you by however much bandwidth you use a month.Like the power company does basicly the more you use the higher your bill is.I use maybe 90 to 100 G's a month,most of the time less so I am basicly paying for usage I don't use.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to dv8silencer8

1) you will be offered the choice of moving to a higher priced product or being terminated
2) you will pay the ETF since you will have been terminated for violation of the TOS.
3) the ETF is not cheap.

If you honestly plan on 5+TB/mo, be sure to talk with your business rep and select a rate that's appropriate for that traffic level. At least 22/5, if not 50/10. You might raise eyebrows on the 12/2 starter if you regularly pull several TB/mo.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to dv8silencer8

Comcast has lots of business customers that consume 5TB+ a month. They do not get abuse warnings. You will be fine.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by noisefloor:

Comcast has lots of business customers that consume 5TB+ a month. They do not get abuse warnings. You will be fine.
Maybe it varies by market?

While not an abuse call, I know of local businesses who have received calls from their account rep to talk about changing their service as a response to high usage.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

If they are paying for the economy tier or something like that, then yeah a phone call might be received for very high traffic to talk about options to solve the problem.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

said by noisefloor:

Maybe it varies by market?

While not an abuse call, I know of local businesses who have received calls from their account rep to talk about changing their service as a response to high usage.
This is exactly what is spelled out in the contract you sign. I have no doubt that a business account with a 50/10 or 100/10 line can happily consume 5+ TB/mo without being asked to move up, since they are at or near the top offering. A 12/2 customer isn't expected to generate that much traffic, and might well get a call if they maxed their line out

3.7TB is the max download for 24/7 use of a 12mbit line, 5TB would be:

74% of a 22mbit line
33% of a 50mbit line,
16% of a 100mbit line, assuming 24/7 max available bandwidth.

I'm guessing you'll want to be 1/3 or less of your max bandwidth. Hence about
1.2TB for 12
2.2TB for 22
5TB for 50, and
10TB for 100.
If you occasionally are over those, you'll probably be fine. But if you are regularly over that you'll probably get a friendly call suggesting you'd be better served by a higher speed - at least until they push you up to 100

Interestingly, the 250GB residential cap is at about 5% usage of a 12mbit line.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us