uniqs
share rss forum feed

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

1 edit

What is Teredo?

Click for full size
My FIOS router suddenly seems to have a bunch of ports opened my something called Teredo. A Google search does not seem to get me much info except that it is a tunnel for IPV6.

I did a port scan at GRC of a couple of the forwarded ports and they show up as stealthed.

Anyone know what Teredo is? I deleted the rules for the port forwarding after saving the config file and all seems to be working.

OOPS, edit, I have FIOS with the Actiontec router and it's ethernet not coax..

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Teredo is just a medium for allowing IPv6 communication over IPv4 networks. The drawback on it is you cannot exactly perform DNS to an IPv6 server over Teredo.

Running Torrents, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 by any chance? I'm not sure if OS-X performs IPv6 functions out of the box without enabling it like it is with some flavors of Linux. Windows for sure does.

bgraham

Smithtown, NY

Running Windows 7 as a dual boot on an Acer Netbook, probably for a couple of months.
Unfortunately I cannot remember the last time I actually looked at the router so I cannot say when these new rules appeared.
With that said, the IP 192.168.1.4 is my desktop machine and that has only run XP and has since 2003.

I did find this: »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···%29.aspx

It's dated 7-2-10 and does not mention Win7 but does mention XP with Sp2, so I guess anything could happen.

Not sure how a networked computer can change the router settings when it's correctly password protected (not admin / password etc)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Do you have UPnP enabled in the router? If you do, that's where it is coming from.

bgraham

Smithtown, NY

Yes it was set. Just removed it.

bgraham

Smithtown, NY

Everything works fine, wife's computer and my netbook, tried XP and Win7.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

That's good. At the moment if you don't have much of a need for Teredo for visiting IPv6 addresses, the UPnP entries were simply unnecessary anyways.