uniqs
Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

[HELP] How's this for a "starter" Lab for CCNA/CCNP

I've been out of the Cisco world for a few years and would like to start prepping for certification.

I've been reading through some blogs trying to catch up, but I'm hoping some of you gurus can comment on this, I'd like to try to pick it up today since its local.

I figure I can get a 3550-EMI and a 2950 with an Enhanced Image cheaper than I can buy in some of the kits being sold.

For $450 (and "full rack"...):
X2 Catalyst 2950 WS-C2950-24 IOS 12.1(22)EA4A
X2 Catalyst 3500 WS-C3524-XL-EN
Routers-
X2 Cisco 2501
X2 Cisco 2503
X1 Cisco 2520
X1 Cisco 2610
X1 Cisco 2612
Cables -
4-5 Serial cables
9 Power cables
2 Console cables DB9
1 Crimping tool
Books -
Cisco ICND 1
Cisco ICND 2

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

For CCNA I would say its probably an alright lab.

My only concern for higher certs are the old school routers.

I'd really be wanting to try and get XM series 2600's as an absolute minimum these days as they run 12.4, but preferably 1800 or 2800 series which will have a few more years of life in them IOS wise.

Unless youre happy to shell out for some better routers down the track, which is always an option after flogging off your old gear to the next unsuspecting CCNA prospect (thats what I did).

Switch wise, it comes with a decent selection, but I would add that 3550 once you want to start your CCNP. Who knows, by that stage 3560's might even be half reasonably priced for the lab...
Anon00
Premium Member
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

Thanks!

Yeah I don't have a problem shelling out what I'm seeing for a 3550 and I'll look at the 1800, 2800, 2600XM series. I read about the 2600XM thing too for CCNP, can't remember what it was needed for again.

What's appealing is they're local and it doesn't seem like a bad price to start getting in the groove for a CCNA and refreshing the concepts.

I'm sure the commands will come back to me.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Anon00

MVM

to Anon00
Can't say much about the 25xx as I've never delved much into them. I'd agree you'd probably want
another 26xx (XM) router in the mix. I'm not sure about getting gear specifically because it's
compatible with 12.4 -- so far I haven't come across anything in the curriculum that needs 12.4
or better, has anyone seen different? -- but if you want to grow your lab, eg Voice and
security, you definitely want gear that'll handle the higher IOSs.

My own personal (biased) view is that with 3 routers (4 with the 3550EMI) lets you play with
multipath routing and multi area OSPF. Getting the routers that do support the NM / WICs also
gives you the benefit of not limiting your thinking to FE connectivity.

My 00000010 bits.

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to Anon00

Premium Member

to Anon00
Btw, using dynamips, you can simulate a great many situations. Granted, it will work at a small fraction of the speed of real hardware, but it's a lot cheaper and easier to reconfigure.

(Personally, I like having a table full of gear.)
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

Personal opinion is that u wont be able to pass many tests with that list of gear. I wouldnt waste my cash on it. If you want to learn, goto a CNAP with real lab gear or fire up GNS3.
Anon00
Premium Member
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

said by meta:

Personal opinion is that u wont be able to pass many tests with that list of gear. I wouldnt waste my cash on it. If you want to learn, goto a CNAP with real lab gear or fire up GNS3.
It fell through...

I did pick up a 1721 off ebay..

Guess I'll start building my lab. Is any of the kits worth it?

Any good sites to get used equipment for labs besides eBay?

mikeyb4760
Premium Member
join:2004-09-25
El Cajon, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

mikeyb4760

Premium Member

www.computerpartsnow.com

Bought 95% of my lab stuff from them..They look new, stuffed to the max with RAM, and have a reasonable warranty.

I was gonna comment on your original post and say that you should make sure you get an XM so you can log into SDM, but I think a 1721 can do that.

I have the ICND 1 and 2 books and my only complaint is the boson.com simulation exam software included with the books. Lot of mistakes, but boson sez it's Cisco's fault, they just supply the engine

You can use your original list to pass the ccna. Dont know why what's his name dumped on it. If you decide to go onto CCNP your'e gonna need a layer 3 switch

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to Anon00

MVM

to Anon00
I bought a WS-C2950-24 for $80, it still in transit.
Thinking about CISCO 1711-VPN/K9 for $125 after I see how this vendor does with the 1at piece.

My instructor says getting Virtual Lab Titanium Version is the way to go.
I also think having CISCO gear running at home would look good on a resume, even if older stuff.
Anon00
Premium Member
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

Thank you all for your input.

Shout out to mikeyb4760 for the computerpartsnow.com recommendation. Ordering a 3725 (good right?, can do MPLS), 2621XM, and 2950T-24 from them now. From what I can tell, pretty good prices, and I'm also getting the Mem/Flash upgrades. The 3725 and 2950T seems to be a really good deal

I'm going to hold off a little on the 3550 EMI until I need it. oh 3560, why so expensive.. I actually want to dual purpose that to support my infrastructure at home.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC to Anon00

to Anon00
I got myself:

ASA 5505
2x 3750G
Aironet 1252AGN
VG200 with the NV-2V (2FXO and 2FXS)

And I just need to get a server to run all the applications that these devices can utilize! And of course at least a single SIP line.

Do you' think this is good for learning to get my CCNA? What else?
Anon00
Premium Member
USA

Anon00

Premium Member

So they shipped it. Here's the breakdown.

$110 for the 3725, paid for upgrade to 256D/128F, seemed in line for third-party prices
$99 for the 2950T-24, eBay sure of heck didn't seem cheaper.
$150 for the 2621XM, upgraded to 48F (came with 128D). I"ll post back when I receive it.

I had to pay for tax since I'm in California... 9.5% for where they're located. Looks like $10 for ground for each item.

I'm going to probably hit them up for another 2950T, 2600XM series (or maybe just another 3725?) and a 2511-RJ (hope that's cheap else its the 2508/2509 right?) for terminal server. I probably can't rack this in my bedroom so it might get annoying without that.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Anon00

MVM

to Anon00
@RolteC
Wow, quite a bit of gear you got. How much did it run you?
With the ASA you could probably start your CCNA Security,
your CCNA Voice with the VGs, thought I'd look to get a VOIP
phone or two, and your CCNA Wireless with the AP.

@Anon00
With that much gear so far, I'd look into a rack unit. There's
a 12U from cablesandkits that'll run you $40USD. Otherwise,
if you're going to keep growing, look at getting a full 40U
somehow.

I know cuz I outgrew my old 12U pretty quick when I started
getting more and more equipment.

Regards
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

The ASA was around $400+
The 3750G's were around $1500/each
The 1252AGN was $250
The VGW with the NV-2V with the two VIC card was all around $150.

Then I built a server for it, then aagin not using server parts, just a 4U chasis. That 6 core processor from AMD, 8GB ram, and 4 of the new 600GB 10k Velociraptor HDD's.

I wonder though; if anyone knows if VMWare will work with Cisco Unity?(like call manager)
Anon00
Premium Member
USA

2 edits

Anon00 to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
What I hate is I always read about someone picking up some cheap (like $150, $250) 42U APC Netshelter, Dell , or HP/Compaq cabinet, but I can't find anything close to that on eBay or Craigslist. I gotta figure out where companies throw away their stuff. I wish the client I worked for would allow people to get their old equipment, but stupid HR rules. They literally have to throw away (recycle) their equipment.

I definitely want a largish cabinet, because I want somewhere to put my 4U server too, which will probably have another 4U chassis attached to it (storage server).
meta
join:2004-12-27

1 edit

meta

for a rack, look for a tech recycler.
while companies cant give tech away, they do "recycle" it.

EPC (executive personal computer) in the st louis area is one such place. Think of a walmart sized structure full of rows 30 ft high of used, or off-lease equipment from bladecenters to 6500s to racks and storage systems all dirt cheap. They get paid by companies to haul it away, and then paid by smaller companies or consumers who want the gear for their use. Its a great deal for them as they get paid on both ends and just have to warehouse the stuff for a couple months.

The other place to look is craigs list as you mentioned, but good deals on nicer racks go fast so u need to check every day around 1pm (after lunch break when people list crap) and email fast.

edit: i have also bought 3 racks from skeletek (sp?) and they have worked out well for cisco gear. very cheap, check ebay.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Anon00

MVM

to Anon00
@Anon00
I agree with nosx, an ewaste recycler would be the first place
I'd stop for a 42U rack.

@RolteC
Supposedly the older versions of CM and Unity do work with VMware,
but the latest versions don't.

Regards

Covenant
MVM
join:2003-07-01
England

Covenant to RolteC

MVM

to RolteC
said by RolteC:

I wonder though; if anyone knows if VMWare will work with Cisco Unity?(like call manager)
Are we talking about Unity or Unity Connection? Unity does not need platform discs right upto version 8 and hence can be installed on other non-Cisco ratified hardware as well as installation on vmware and Unity Connection in the later versions does support vwmare.
said by HELLFIRE:

Supposedly the older versions of CM and Unity do work with VMware,
but the latest versions don't.
It's the other way round.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Anon00

MVM

to Anon00
Thanks for the correction Covenant.

Regards
SmokeyBehr
join:2010-08-07
Madera, CA

SmokeyBehr to Anon00

to Anon00
Another place to find used racks is your local government purchasing department. Many cities and counties have a surplus equipment sale on a regular basis, and sometimes they are getting rid of old computers and network equipment. That's how I bought 6 servers, 2 routers, 2 switches, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff.

If you need an RS/6000, there's one waiting for someone to take it home at our local county surplus yard.