spc
Search similar:

uniqs

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Interesting...

It's interesting that the studios want to keep their 30 day window to protect DVD sales, as pointless as that may be. That just gives video pirates 30 days to rip a DVD and distribute it on-line for free!
Thatgeekinit
join:2002-05-01
Washington, DC

Thatgeekinit

I can understand why the studios want that window as it will encourage people who frequently buy new DVD's at $20 new release prices not to "wait for it on Netflix"

They just want to protect their dying business model which is based on charging people many times for the same content in different formats.

First they charge you $10/ticket in the theatre. Then $10 to PPV in a hotel. Then $5 to PPV on cable/dish. Then they charge you $20 to buy it on DVD. Then they will want to charge you $30 to buy it on Blue-Ray or $1-2 for a netflix- rental after your DVD gets scratched or you want to just see if Blue-Ray is worth it.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Just got a Roku box, and Netflix streaming for me has been terrific... 4 bars and no interruptions. Flawless operation as someone else said.

Of course, I'm the type that can wait for movies I want to see, and have more than I can watch with all the British TV comedy and mystery series available for streaming. [MI-5, Inspector Morse, etc.].

If that $10 mo. was a problem, I could drop a cable digital tier that I have now [to see one channel out of 30 junk ones]. Plus free on-demand on my cable service is worthless as well.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to milnoc

to milnoc
The reason Netflix gave for agreeing to this was that it allowed them 30 days time to stock up on new releases so that there would be less wait time to receive new releases.

Considering I'm seeing months of "long waits" for new releases that were 30 day delayed, Netflix's plans failed. That or they were just blowing smoke in their press releases.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

It's interesting that the studios want to keep their 30 day window to protect DVD sales, as pointless as that may be. That just gives video pirates 30 days to rip a DVD and distribute it on-line for free!
Ditto ditto ditto. Couldn't have said it better myself.

To boot: the ripped copy will probably be a high quality HD bluray, whereas the Netflix will be some lower hollywood/bandwidth-specified tier and may not even be the best available even if your bandwidth and computer could handle it and it was originally mastered at higher quality.