All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tktk
@microsoft.com

tktk

Anon

Virtual bandwidth cap for DSL unlimited plan?

I've had teksavvy for over two years now, and I usually get around ~5MB of speed, however I've always experienced the speed decreasing to almost 500kb-1mb at the end of the month. This seems to happen when I'm taking advantage of my unlimited plan and exceed 400GB usage.
After calling technician, the speed goes back to 5MB for a couple of days.
But they tell me go go through hoops of unpluggung the router, connecting directly to modem, restart blah blah blah blah blah for about painful 30-40 minutes.
Is it possible that TSI has a virtual cap for all users including customers with unlimited plan?? I am getting sick and tired of this speed decline...

Any recomendations to what I can do??
Anybody think switching to cable will improve the speed??

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

I don't think TekSavvy has such a policy, unless you managed to exceed the 5Mb/s speeds that are officially offered. What's the source of these downloads? BitTorrent?

Cable might help. It's also unlimited and doesn't have many of the issues DSL technology does.
49313267 (banned)
join:2010-07-28

49313267 (banned) to tktk

to tktk
said by tktk :

I've had teksavvy for over two years now, and I usually get around ~5MB of speed, however I've always experienced the speed decreasing to almost 500kb-1mb at the end of the month. This seems to happen when I'm taking advantage of my unlimited plan and exceed 400GB usage.
After calling technician, the speed goes back to 5MB for a couple of days.
But they tell me go go through hoops of unpluggung the router, connecting directly to modem, restart blah blah blah blah blah for about painful 30-40 minutes.
Is it possible that TSI has a virtual cap for all users including customers with unlimited plan?? I am getting sick and tired of this speed decline...

Any recomendations to what I can do??
Anybody think switching to cable will improve the speed??
Maybe once a month you should reset your modem rather then calling in. I've seen sync rates slowly do down overtime and you reset the modem and boom they go back up.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to tktk

Premium Member

to tktk
No, there is no such shady practices at TekSavvy.

Likely what is happening is that either your modem or router is having issues after a certain time of being on, and transferring lots of data.

Also if your line has errors, some modems don't gracefully recover from that and need to be reset once in a while...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to tktk

Premium Member

to tktk
-
Why has nobody yet made reference to the 'BHell-ephant' in the room ?

If Bell can throttle their wholesalers' customers under ONE circumstance without telling anyone, what's to stop them from doing it to a high volume user after a specified monthly usage has been exceeded ?

It would be just a matter of reconfiguring all of those DPI boxes, wouldn't it ?

(Or just one box to use this subscriber as a guinea pig)

And it IS the way in which WIND Mobile has OPENLY told us that they regulate data plans on THEIR wireless cell network, so maybe someone at Bell got a bonus for suggesting that Bell mimic the method.
Ger
join:2007-10-26
Mississauga, ON

Ger

Sounds more like a modem/router problem to me. If it was Bell throttling, a reboot would only help temporarily.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

1 edit

Angelo

Premium Member

clearly the issue is at your end please ensure your equipment quality is up to par.

what other users do will never affect you unless the isp aka Bell over subscribs the links to an insane rate and refuses to upgrade.

Please go troll elsewhere Mr. Bhell

tktk
@teksavvy.com

tktk to 49313267

Anon

to 49313267
I always restart my modem and router as soon as I start seeing a speed decrease before calling-in, I only call-in after trying, and the speed does not change, and the technician would tell me there's nothing wrong with the line, but magically the speed increases after I call them.

However, over past couple months, I haven't called them as I really hate talking to these technicians that would still tell me to go through hoops of restarting router and modem even if I tell them I have tried that 20 trillion times... I really don't understand what's the issue, but I tend to blame TSI because of this "magical fix" that happens after calling them

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

-
It would be useful for you to post some line/modem stats here, so that others here could analyse and offer better advice.

Two sets of stats would help most, one from when your speed is good and another from when it is at its worst, so that we can compare and point out any differences which we think might matter.

bellevegas
@teksavvy.com

bellevegas to tktk

Anon

to tktk
Unlimited is truly that with TSI, we have users that have transferred TBs in a month and have experienced no ill effect.

Check your gear...

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to tktk

to tktk
It is highly unlikely that it is caused by TSI. If it was this forum would be full of postings about it. No one else seems to have the issue so it is probably your equipment or connection.