clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty

Re: Everything MLPPP

Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
--
db

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
said by clarknova:

Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
I do have an Ubuntu 10 box running downstairs. Mostly as a back up for files and a voice server. Would you suggest that ST516V6?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I have 3 and just ordered a bunch more. They have a reputation for dying young if not well ventilated, but mine are wall-mounted sideways in a cool basement, and shed heat very well.

Your Ubuntu server should work fine for flashing them up. These are the directions I used.

»markferry.net/Network.SpeedtouchUpgrade

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter. I haven't looked to see if there's a newer version, as I updated mine a couple months ago.

Note that the firmwares available on the linked forum don't let you set the vci directly, but if you choose "Special K" (or something like that!) as your provider it will give you the proper settings for connecting in Telus territory.
--
db

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by clarknova:

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter.
The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Click for full size
said by mlord:

The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?
Yes. The default language is German but you can still choose from English or 2 other languages.

Also, there's no way to set your vpi/vci manually in the web UI. When you run the setup wizard you get to choose "Standard", "Western" or "K-Net" for your provider. If I choose Standard or Western I get two Brdg_Internet status, reporting 1.32 and 8.35 respectively. If I choose K-Net they report 1.32 and 0.33 respectively. The latter being correct in the west, this works. I don't know what the winning combination might be in the east. Or maybe you can set vpi/vci via CLI; I haven't looked into it.
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to mlord
said by clarknova:

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter.
I should qualify that a little better. In fact, I upgraded some modems from their stock 6.x firmware to 7.4.4.7 without testing anything in between, based on some advice here:

»Re: telus contractor took my modem!

and found that my jitter practically disappeared. If Tierx knows what he is talking about, then we can draw basically 2 conclusions from his post: first, that interleaved connections will benefit from 7.2+ firmwares, and second, that 7.4.4.7 added stability, whatever that might mean.

My connections are interleaved, and yes, my jitter went down. As for stability, I have 5 modems that haven't disconnected ever, but I also have 2 that disconnect daily. I don't blame the modem for that, and I don't know how things might be different on an older firmware.
--
db

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
What he actually said, was "SRA seems to work fine in 7.4.4.7, and adds significant stability." And the jitter fixes came with 7.2 and higher firmware.

Since here in Ontario, Bell has not enabled SRA for regular DSL, I guess that wouldn't help us any, so I might try to resist temptation, and just stick with good/stable 7.4.3.2.

Thanks!