spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CooperRex
@verizon.net

CooperRex

Anon

Removing wireless from FiOS router

I'm having FiOS installed in my house next week. I don't use wireless internet, and I'm not a particularly big fan of it for health reasons (gives me severe migraines)

I was wondering if:

(a) Does the Verizon router emit wireless signals?

(b) Is it possible to turn off the wireless feature?

(c) Are there alternative routers/modems that do NOT have wireless which I could purchase that would still make the Fios Internet and TV work?

Thanks for your help!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

a) Yes.

b) Very easily.

c) I'm sure there are routers that don't come with built-in wireless; and even if you decide to get one does have it, it'll be simple to turn it off.

There are a ton of FAQs on how to use your own router; you'll still need the Vz router in the mix to get VOD, Guide data, and the like but it doesn't need to be the primary router.
sumperpuss7
join:2010-07-11

1 edit

sumperpuss7 to CooperRex

to CooperRex
Go to 192.168.1.1 and use the web interface to turn off the wireless networking feature. Are you getting FiOS phone service too?

If you believe radios induce migraines, you should probably throw away or sell any cordless phones (ex. 900MHz, 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz, DECT) and install corded phones. Also, microwave ovens leak the exact same 2.4GHz radio energy as Wi-Fi, so you should consider getting rid of those as well.

Additional items in your home that may emit radio waves include: baby monitors, cell phones, wireless door bells, Bluetooth devices, RC toys, VHF/UHF walkie-talkies, garage door openers, personal FM transmitters (ex. iTrip), exercise heart rate monitors, toll collection tags, and US Passports issued after 2007.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

If the OP suffers migraines from those sorts of things, why are you assuming he hasn't already eliminated such equipment from his home environment?

CooperRex
@verizon.net

CooperRex to CooperRex

Anon

to CooperRex
Thank you for the information. What non-wireless router do you recommend? And if I have this router on hand when the Fios technician comes, will they show me how to hook it up correctly?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

If you are getting TV service, along with internet, you will need to use the VZ-supplied router. Have it installed, then ask the technician to show you how to turn off the wireless portion. Make notes so you can do it again, because if the router is set back to factory defaults, the wireless will be enabled again.

If you are only having internet installed, no TV, then »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· emid=189 shows performance specs of a lot of routers. Click the option "No WLAN" then submit the filter, and you'll find most of the remaining choices are older technology with lower throughput specs.

If you want to use your own router, you'll definitely need to have cat5 wired from the ONT to the router. That may be done, but standard installation is coax (requiring the Actiontec). The tech may run cat5, but that depends on a lot of factors including the installer's preference, so you may not get what you want. One way is to run the cat5 yourself before the tech shows up. Most installers will use the cat5 if it's already in place.

Myself? I'd use the Actiontec router with wireless turned off.

CooperRex
@verizon.net

CooperRex to CooperRex

Anon

to CooperRex
Also, does the router have to be placed physically right near my desktop computer? Right now I have Verizon DSL with a DSL modem plugged into my desktop iMac. I was wondering if the FiOS router can be left in the basement while my computer is on the second floor.

Thanks for your insight!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by CooperRex :

I was wondering if the FiOS router can be left in the basement while my computer is on the second floor.
Since you won't be using a wireless conection, you'll need an ethernet cable between the router and the iMac. That isn't part of the installation, so if you ask for the technician to run that, it'll cost $80 installation charge.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

1 recommendation

wmcbrine to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

If the OP suffers migraines from those sorts of things
That was the point, really -- there's no basis for believing that the OP, or anyone else, is actually affected that way, other than psychosomatically. Blind studies don't support the existence of any such effect, nor does it make sense in physical terms. The evidence suggests that it's a delusion.

Now, you may say, so what? Let the OP have his way; he's not hurting anyone but himself. And that's true, as far as his own house is concerned. But hysteria about WiFi has led to people lobbying (successfully) to keep it out of schools and other public places, which harms everyone -- all for nothing. So this idea should not be left to pass unchallenged.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to CooperRex

MVM

to CooperRex
said by CooperRex :

Also, does the router have to be placed physically right near my desktop computer?
If you use the VZ provided router provisioned over MOCA (coax), it can be placed anywhere you have an active coax connection.

If install your own (non-MOCA) router, then you need cat5 from the ONT to the router and also cat5 from the router to your computer.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to CooperRex

Premium Member

to CooperRex
Though you've gotten great answers from people far more savvy than I, just wanted to add my two cents: I do recommend that you stay with the Actiontec to save yourself aggro, since the wireless is a snap to turn off. Just log on to your configuration utility, go to wireless settings, and change Radio enabled to off. Completely easy and safe.

runzero
join:2005-09-16
DC

1 edit

runzero to CooperRex

to CooperRex
said by CooperRex :

I'm having FiOS installed in my house next week. I don't use wireless internet, and I'm not a particularly big fan of it for health reasons (gives me severe migraines)
Sorry, but that is complete nonsense. Unless you live in a faraday cage or padded your entire house with thick metal plates, you're being exposed to wireless radio signals all the time. Cell towers, your neighbors' wireless routers, satellites, weather radars, and background radiation in the universe all emit signals in the same general frequency range as wireless routers. With that in mind, you should technically be having severe migraines 24/7.

But yes, you can turn off wireless networking. Go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser, login (default username is "admin", password is either "password" or "password1", click Wireless Settings > Basic Security Settings > Turn Wireless Off > Apply.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

said by runzero:

password is either "password" or "password1",
Just to clarify, that should NOT any longer be your password---either you changed it initially to something more secure, or Verizon changed it for you to the serial number of your router. Neither "password" nor "password1" should work anymore.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to CooperRex

Premium Member

to CooperRex
If you were worried about security, I'd say you have a legitimate question.

Low level RF power does not give you migranes. Looking at some types of computer screens could. Other things could. But RF power can't.