BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to iansltx

Re: Steaming service stinks

said by iansltx:

Never had payTV. Been Hulu or Netflix for me, and it works just fine. When Netflix doesn't have some content...well, that's the studios' faults, not Netflix's.

As for bandwidth costs, I wouldn't be surprised if they're paying a penny or two per gigabyte nowadays, since they aren't buying from Akamai. Which means a full-on movie takes a nickel, maybe two, to stream. Which is actually pretty cool compared to mailing a DVD...
Actually they are still using akamai, but akamai is a "last choice" provider since it's expensive. The other CDN's are eating up the primary "cheap" bits.

Akamai is pitched as "quality" bits.

Funny part is akamai has enough cash in the bank to buy both netflix and 4 of the big CDN's. and not even break a sweat.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Are you sure they're buying from Akamai? I heard they were getting their bits from LimeLight and Level3.

Billy994

@eliablehosting.com
said by iansltx:

Are you sure they're buying from Akamai? I heard they were getting their bits from LimeLight and Level3.
They dropped Level3 and now use Akamai and Limelight. Their contract with Akamai states they must give Akamai at least 51% of their business.

This is 100% fact there have been press releases and tons of information from completely reliable sources about it. If you still care use Google to easily find the proof.