All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rufus15
join:2010-08-02

rufus15

ATT 2701HG-B Port Forward to fixed IP

I'm very used to port forwarding on Linksys/Netopia routers but I can't figure out how to forward a port to a defined, fixed, IP device using the 2701HG-B. I see the set up to forward to a dhcp assigned IP, but nothing for a fixed IP.

Could I buy a clue please?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The 2wire will use three methods to identify devices connected to it they are

name
ip address
mac address

The select a computer option will list the connected device using one of the methods listed above
rufus15

rufus15

Thank you, that gets to the heart of the problem.

I expected to see all the connected devices in that selection list, but I only see the ones that have gotten a dynamic IP from the 2701. The fixed IP devices are not showing.

Before you ask, yes, the fixed IP devices (a PC and a thermostat) do have a fully functional connection through the 2701, they can access the internet, and I can access them via the network by their LAN IP.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Do the fixed IP devices display on the view network summary page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C01
rufus15

rufus15

No, they don't.

Could the IP's be the issue? My fixed IP's are in the 192.168.1.22x range, maybe I need to use a different scheme with this router?
muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI
join:2007-06-11
Tacoma, WA

muiredised to rufus15

to rufus15
said by rufus15:

The fixed IP devices are not showing.
I have seen this issue before.

By fixed IP do you mean that the device is not using DHCP or that you have assigned it a dhcp "FIXED" ip using the 2wire address allocation features?

Is the fixed IP outside of your dhcp range?

I haven't investigated it enough to know why this happens in the first place, and about the only way I have found to semi-reliably resolve this issue was to go to the mdc, clear the local network on the resets screen, then ping the device from the 2wire diagnostics console. This forces the 2wire to send an ARP request and receive the device's MAC addy in return. I suspect 2wire uses the MAC addy as the key in the device table, and I wonder if the device table is independent of the ARP table which would explain why devices are accessible but do not show up as active. Just thinking out loud.

Best of luck.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to rufus15

MVM

to rufus15
said by rufus15:

Could the IP's be the issue? My fixed IP's are in the 192.168.1.22x range
No, that's not the cause
192.168.1.0 is the 2wire subnet

If you're certain that the devices don't display using the methods I posted.......you can try using the 2wire dns resolve page if the devices have names

Here's the dns resolve page url
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J38

There is one other option the address allocation page this requires that the devices be configured as dhcp clients
Here's the address allocation page url
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C07
rufus15

rufus15 to muiredised

to muiredised
quote:
muiredised: By fixed IP do you mean that the device is not using DHCP or that you have assigned it a dhcp "FIXED" ip using the 2wire address allocation features?
No DHCP, no assignment in 2wire, IP set on device/PC and connected to network.
quote:
Is the fixed IP outside of your dhcp range?
Yes (unless I messed up).

Thanks for your suggestions I'll give 'em a try.
rufus15

rufus15 to wayjac

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

If you're certain that the devices don't display using the methods I posted.......you can try using the 2wire dns resolve page if the devices have names

Here's the dns resolve page url
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J38

There is one other option the address allocation page this requires that the devices be configured as dhcp clients
Thanks, I'll look at dns resolve too. DHCP would cause too many other problems so that's not an option.

Thank you both for your time, I'll give it another shot next time I'm at the location.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The 2wire fixed dhcp allocation deserves a look it works best when the device is constantly connected to the network

I don't think the fixed ip's are a problem because they are so high up in the 2wire dhcp pool/range

The 2wire has a default fixed-static ip pool/range
192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.63

The 2wire has a default dhcp pool/range
192.168.1.64 thru 192.168.1.253
rufus15

rufus15

"The 2wire has a default fixed-static ip pool/range
192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.63"

Good to know, I'll try using IP's in that range and see if it makes any difference.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

When I once used static IPs > 64 I did run into strange things that could not be explained. Moving them 63 seemed to of cleared up those things. Mind you, either way I never had issues with the device connecting and being able to access it. The strange things were always internal to the 2wire and how it "saw" or not, the device.

All that aside, I've also had non-computer devices connect (via DHCP) to the 2wire and they would never show up in any of the device lists. Pings would respond fine and network access was fine too; but for some reason they would never show up on the device list nor in the log file as being assigned or connected to.
rufus15

rufus15

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was at the location working on this at the weekend and in the end could not persuade the 2 wire to reliably show the fixed IP devices. Not having all the time in the world I swapped it out for a Netopia.