Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Re: The business mentality...

said by 88615298:

And this is why our country is going down the shitter. You CAN make a profit WITHOUT fucking people over.
There are myriad reasons our country is going down the shitter, but none of them have anything to do with wireless cellphone provider's smartphone application policies.

I'll skip all the reasons because that isn't the topic of this thread.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Seattle, WA

said by FFH:

said by 88615298:

And this is why our country is going down the shitter. You CAN make a profit WITHOUT fucking people over.
There are myriad reasons our country is going down the shitter, but none of them have anything to do with wireless cellphone provider's smartphone application policies.

I'll skip all the reasons because that isn't the topic of this thread.
Yet, you had to bring it up. At any rate, what he said is one reason among many.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by 88615298:

It's the ATTITUDE these companies have that is helping this country down the turdhole.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

Right... because people can't live with out certain products and services, right?

There's that skirt of the internet that people "have" to live in.. quite honestly more people need to learn to disconnect their lives from the internet a little more than they currently have intertwined themselves.. that's my opinion...

But honestly, one reason this country IS going into "the shitter" is that MANY people have lost many of their ways and manners while trying to live more in a digital world rather than a real world.

Maybe it's me (no, really, it's not..., I'm just saying this) but people have REALLY gone down hill, in general, the more they plug in to the internet.. it's NOT the way to socialize.. too many people spend too much time trying "to get it" with a 160 or less character message on some social site.. and I use that term loosely.

Seriously.. there is a MAJOR disconnect with reality these days because of the internet.. I really think that some people take view of the internet as some sort of drug.. they can't really live with out it.

tdouglas22

join:2001-09-25
Memphis, TN

said by fiberguy:

Right... because people can't live with out certain products and services, right?

There's that skirt of the internet that people "have" to live in.. quite honestly more people need to learn to disconnect their lives from the internet a little more than they currently have intertwined themselves.. that's my opinion...

But honestly, one reason this country IS going into "the shitter" is that MANY people have lost many of their ways and manners while trying to live more in a digital world rather than a real world.

Maybe it's me (no, really, it's not..., I'm just saying this) but people have REALLY gone down hill, in general, the more they plug in to the internet.. it's NOT the way to socialize.. too many people spend too much time trying "to get it" with a 160 or less character message on some social site.. and I use that term loosely.

Seriously.. there is a MAJOR disconnect with reality these days because of the internet.. I really think that some people take view of the internet as some sort of drug.. they can't really live with out it.
Now on this one I'll have to disagree with you a lot. It's a sign of changing times but even before the internet there were people who did not "socialize" in the traditional sense. Internet or not there will always be those who are shut-in and just refuse to get out there and mingle.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

1 recommendation

Disagree with you all ya want..but I hate to tell you, there are MANY MANY MANY studies that have been done that do show that plugging into the internet has taken a HUGE toll on social skills.. MANY people can "communicate" behind their screen.. guess what happens when you put them face to face with someone.. heh..

Seriously.. the internet is about being anonymous.. how exactly does that improve anything?

Simply "keeping in touch" with someone by posting a tweet or a status update on facebook does not make for a society of social people... besides, check out the studies and ask what most people feel about posts and talking on the internet is all about.. survey says!!! .. "It's not real anyway.. you can't take what's said on the internet as real"... um, yea... sorry, but I stand by my view.

There is a HUGE difference of my generation and the current upcoming 18-25 crowd. A FAR more disconnect between my generation and the one right behind me...

Mingling on the internet is not 'mingling".. shut in or not.. in general, yes, the internet has really dumbed down communication.

If this is the changing time, then thank god I've chosen to stay out of it for the most part. I've watched MANY friends of mine become more socially inept over the last 5 years than ever before. They rush home to check Facebook to see if anyone has responded.. they hide behind texting and all but forgot how to make a voice call.. they often have "no time to go out" because they're too plugged in having 10 chat sessions simultaneously, OR think that FarmVille is the place to "be with your friends"..

What the internet HAS done is made keeping in contact (ie: the actual act of communication) quicker.. but, I can tell you most certainly, the bonds between the up and coming generation is far less strong as they have been in other generations..

The research is out there.. it's there to find and discover. I still take courses in psychology as I continue onto my masters and this topic is discussed and referenced frequently.

Diddy11

join:2003-07-19
Sidney, NE
reply to fiberguy

Well we are talking about progress aren't we? Could anyone live without their car these days?
--
if you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Lots of people live without cars.

It's possible to live without a car in the vast majority of the United States. The degree of difficulty will range from 'easier than car ownership' (New York City) to 'royal PITA' (rural America) but it's doable.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

Disagree with you all ya want..but I hate to tell you, there are MANY MANY MANY studies that have been done that do show that plugging into the internet has taken a HUGE toll on social skills..
Could you post links to a couple of those studies. I mean, if there are that many...
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

said by Thespis:

said by fiberguy:

Disagree with you all ya want..but I hate to tell you, there are MANY MANY MANY studies that have been done that do show that plugging into the internet has taken a HUGE toll on social skills..
Could you post links to a couple of those studies. I mean, if there are that many...
Nope... go find them.. google is your best friend.

And before you go further, I'll spare this too. ... because I don't feel like running out and doing research for ya doesn't make it a false statement.. I just don't chose to google and post links to prove a point. You can simply agree to disagree if you want and we'll leave it at that.

(This tactic is often used and invalid.)

XcceLL

join:2004-03-16
Bogart, GA

LOL! Case in point, to lazy to find info with Google.
--
Just killen time.

Thespis
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

This is a debate, not an argument. How is asking for supporting evidence invalid?
In a debate, one presents a premise and supports that premise with evidence. Without evidence, a premise is just an opinion.
I haven't disagreed with anything you said, I simply asked you to support your opinion. If you can't, or won't do that then I will consider your post as simply another release of hot air.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

And before you go further, I'll spare this too. ... because I don't feel like running out and doing research for ya doesn't make it a false statement.. I just don't chose to google and post links to prove a point. You can simply agree to disagree if you want and we'll leave it at that.

For someone who purports to loath the crassness of the "internet generation", you sure do enjoy making use of many of the more annoying characteristics of that group. You make statements as if they are fact, not opinion, and then refuse to back those facts up when asked. That is not only lazy but arrogant.

Other cultures are perhaps even more involved on the internet and with cellphone technology (i.e. the Chinese and Japanese), yet I can attest with first-hand knowledge they do not exhibit the conditions in their social lives which you claim are the inevitable result of such a concentration of resources into the technology.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

ECW

@verizon.net
reply to fiberguy

Every new technology is considered to cause the death of society as we know it. Read some of the comments re the telephone when it was introduced. It would destroy social interaction, people would no longer converse on their porches, etc., etc. And let's face it, the book is the most anti-social device out there. I have used it for years as an excuse not to talk to the person sitting in the seat next to me on every transportation device invented. Just like the iPod.

The fact remains that we have been forced (not unwillingly) into a world where you need the internet to conduct business, e.g., education, banking, information, etc. What bothers me about Verizon at the moment is my DSL speeds have suddenly dropped to 28 kbps (yes, slower than dial-up) as measured by their own speed tests. And coincidentally, just as they reaped billions in tax benefits by selling off their least profitable rural business to New Frontier. Coincidence? Where I live, in a very rural area, DSL is my only choice, other than satellite which would crap out every time a thunderstorm passes over. Right now I'm forced to drive 17 miles each way to the college to get my work done on their wireless network as they are the closest with open access.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to Thespis

Hey.. guess what.. the sky is blue and has clouds that float around from time to time. Also, roads are made of concrete while some are made with blacktop... did you also know that many large body commercial jets fly at about 30,000 feet or more? Cars run on unleaded fuel these days... most American homes have grass growing in their front years... and to top it all off, I'm not going to post any links supporting my statements.. it must all be hot air release.

No... seriously, what you're doing is saying that if I don't or won't post something to support, as you say, my "opinion" then it's just that.. an opinion. In debate, or argument, the worth of my time isn't necessary to facilitate the posting of links to research, etc. - to which some of that data very well is available for payment which I'm not going to do. What you're doing, quite honestly, is trying to win a "debate" by default, which doesn't work.

If that were the case, this ENTIRE site is nothing more than a release of hot air (which isn't further from the truth sometimes, but besides the point)...

But, in the weighing of the matters at hand, quite honestly, if you think that social network sites have "improved" the quality of life for people and communications and related skills, and not harmed it, one only has to look at the fact that there are anti-cyber bullying laws on the books and more coming all the time. More and more "privacy controls" and blocking options have to be introduced regularly... so on and so forth.. the anonymity of the internet has actually created quite a bit of cause for concern these days... information to easily available, I'm sorry to inform you, is not necessarily a good thing. People also haven't realized that you can, should or do say online versus what you say in public and many people believe that you can say things in 160 chars or less and that's a valid form of communication. Sorry... for this and many other reasons, I don't need to post links. It's not just my "opinion" as you stated...

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to fuziwuzi

Pull your head out of the sand... and then we'll talk. And please, do not try to compare China to the United States. That will get you no where.

The fact that you need a link anytime something is said, OR simply request one JUST because you have nothing better to disagree with does not make you right.

Please learn the rules of debate.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA

said by fiberguy:

Pull your head out of the sand... and then we'll talk. And please, do not try to compare China to the United States. That will get you no where.

The fact that you need a link anytime something is said, OR simply request one JUST because you have nothing better to disagree with does not make you right.

Please learn the rules of debate.
Obviously you haven't learned any "rules". Again, you made statements as FACT, not just your opinion. FACTS require evidence, which you have failed to provide. Opinions can rely upon their own merit and are only as believable as the trust conveyed by the person offering them. In either case, you fail.

You also spew nothing but post-hoc-ergo-propter-hoc arguments. If you can't do any better than that, then you really are your own worst enemy, you make other peoples arguments against you for them.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

Thespis
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to fiberguy

Debate and logic have existed since the early Greeks and the "rules" still apply because they make sense.
Increasing the amount of anecdotal material doesn't support your argument. You could have posted supporting material in half the time it took you to excuse your faulty logic.
If you can't support an argument, don't make it.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

Expand your moderator at work

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to fuziwuzi

Re: The business mentality...

This isn't a court of law... you're clearly only trying to invalidate what I'm saying because I don't care to go hunting down a resource online to support what I said...

But, I'm done arguing with you... the "you won't post a link so you don't know what you're talking about" game doesn't work with me.

Thespis
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to Anon

said by fiberguy:

I'm not going to argue with someone who is clearly un-educated.
Wow. An ad hominum attack, a straw man and an inductive leap all in one post. A trifecta of illogical arguments.
Uneducated? You can't even spell uneducated. Now that's funny...
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA

said by Thespis:

said by fiberguy:

I'm not going to argue with someone who is clearly un-educated.
Wow. An ad hominum attack, a straw man and an inductive leap all in one post. A trifecta of illogical arguments.
Uneducated? You can't even spell uneducated. Now that's funny...
Isn't it, though?
--
- Stephen Hawking