Search similar:

uniqs
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

Phatty

Exaggerate Much?

To say Verizon now cripples the phone seems to be a little bit of an exaggeration. Verizon has decided they want to Charge for tethering so its no surprise they want to disable the free/built in support. Its a business decision, now hopefully they can avoid locking things done, or bundling to much junk like AT&T does.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 edits

Crookshanks

Re: Exagerate Much?

I honestly don't see what the big deal is as long as it's possible to easily hack around these restrictions.

For the longest time Verizon locked down their non-smartphones so you couldn't load ringtones and wallpaper without going through their marketplace. Those of us with Motorola phones knew how to hack around these restrictions though. It was as easy as downloading the appropriate software and uploading your wallpaper/ringtones to the phone. It was always the first thing I did when I got a new device.

I ordered a Droid-X. I'll be rooting it so I don't have to pay them extra for the privilege of tethering. From all accounts they don't care if you do this as long as you aren't doing anything really obnoxious (running p2p over the tethered link....), so what's the big deal?
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Phatty

to Phatty
Exaduration is Karl's MO.

There could be valid technical reasons for this.... CPU, heat, battery life, etc. Just because some 3rd party makes it possible doesn't mean there is not a risk or some reason Motorola and/or Verizon won't warranty that combination.

Sheesh people, not everything is a conspiracy.