Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Reno7
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX

Picking out an eReader

I'm having a hard time with this one. I have a large library of PDF programming books and I plan to by some more programming ebooks as well as novels. Aside from reading books, I like the thought of having a programming library at hand. I haven't spent much time with any of them, but I'd put a high value on things like the ease of searching or the ability to organize books (like folders for each language or topic). If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

These are the three I'm narrowed down to, I'm still totally open to anything though:

1. Kindle 3 pre-order

With the Kindle, I'm not sure I like a battery that can't be changed by the user. Amazon has the best selection of programming ebooks and PDF support is suppose to be better in the Kindle 3. I wonder how long it would take to get one if I pre-ordered now?

2. Barnes & Noble eReader

With the Barnes & Noble, wow they have a horrible selection of programming ebooks on their site. I like the look and feel of the unit though.

3. Sony 600 Touch eReader

With the Sony, I really like the idea of being able to make notes on a page and being able to browse a list of your notes that allows you to jump to the page with the notes

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

From the things that I've read by people who use ereaders for pdf's, the larger-screen readers are the better choices, rather than the 5" and 6" screens. PDF's are the format that most people have complaints about when it comes to the smaller readers, due to the nature of the format itself.

Check out the forums on this website for more information. The folks are very helpful and knowlegeable about ereaders:

»www.mobileread.com/
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

If the oil starts showing up on MY beach, I'm coming for Hayward

wmgoat
If It's Not Broken, Don't Mess With It
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Huntley, IL
reply to Reno7

Boy, Im in the exact same place. Im leaning towards the sony reader 600 because I dont need the wifi of the 900 and both the sony and the Barnes Noble products can read books from the library (Kindle and iPads dont allow this). But I really like the features of the newest Kindle.

The only reason Im still hesitant is that I cant find any user comments or info about if there is any glare on the Sony screen in direct sunlight or in a shaded area. Kindle 3 has made a big deal out of the fact that their product can be used in direct sunlight. I think the sony unit has an lcd screen, and these kinds of screens are typically useless in bright outside light - I know this because of my experience in using a GPS on a motorcycle. Plus, Kindles are waitlisted, and there is no indication as to when they will ship. I need my reader by end of October.

I dont need or desire wifi in an ereader especially if it drives the price up significantly (249 in the case of the sony unit, opposed to 150ish for the non wifi version), Ive got smart phones for this, but the screens are too small to read books on a smart phone. And I dont want to continually have to buy ebooks, since Im an avid user of our public library system. Kindles and iPads dont read open format books from a library - only the BN Nook and the Sony Ereaders do.

Anyone have experience using a sony 600 in bright sunlight, like on the deck of a cruise ship or in a park in an uncovered area? What about in a covered (shaded) area?
--
Remember: To err is human. A computer is required to really mess things up!

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX
kudos:2
reply to Reno7

there is a good thread on ereaders in general discussion here
»e-Book Readers

I have the pandigital novel and LOVE it.
--
Registered Linux user:476595

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Reno7

Sony is going to be coming out with new ereaders shortly, so I would wait for them, for the better tech or for the older versions prices to drop in clearance sales.

»www.sonyinsider.com/2010/08/12/n···ng-soon/

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety
Premium,Ex-Mod 2000-13
join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX
reply to Reno7

Barnes and Noble are in trouble financially, they are now hoping on a buyout and that may be the only thing to save them. I do not see them making significant gains in technology or any great deals from them. People do like their reader though.

There are three Kindles in my extended family and they are almost used exclusively for reading books although not technical. The biggest problem I have with technical books is page references. This flat does not work well with a Kindle, which uses its own paging algorithm which is good for keeping your place in a book but bad for jumping around alot. the Kindle DX might be different. I would look for reviews from people that read lots of technical books.

Not sure at all about the eReader from Sony so cannot comment.