uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
kudos:1

2 edits

[Rant] eVGA Limited Lifetime BS

I just need to vent a little bit. In the end, part of this issue is my fault but I still think I got screwed.

I purchased a eVGA 8800 GTS video card in 2008 from Newegg. The card came with a limited lifetime warranty.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130082

Well today it died on me. I went on to eVGA's website and confirmed that it was eligible for warranty based on the serial number. I had to register the card though.

I start to complete the RMA and then it asks that I enter the RMA number. I call eVGA and let them know what is going on. They tell me I dont have the limited lifetime warranty because I did not register the card within 30 days or purchasing it. What a load of BS. What is so special about registering the card? Why this caveat?

So now the $250 card I purchased is worthless. Never going to buy a eVGA card or product again. And to think all the machines I had built and the upgrades I did to my own gaming machines with their products. BFG never gave me a hard time before. In fact, eVGA did not give me a hard time before either. Now all of a sudden stupid registration is needed? I have the receipt and everything. In all honesty, when I purchased it, I dont recall the box or anything saying I needed to register to get my warranty. I am just pissed. On the upside I have an extra eVGA 7900 that the kids can use from now on.

In the end I got a few years worth of use of this thing, more than you do so of other things. It just pisses me off. If it did say I needed to register it and I missed it, then it is my own dam fault. As silly as it sounds to me, it would have been only a few minutes wasted to avoid this headache. I still think it is BS though. They could have tried to help me in some way.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
You are lucky they give you 30 days most only give oyu 10
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit
Does anyone know though what the purpose is of registering it? I am trying to figure out the logic behind it. I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff. I dont see how registering trumps the fact you have a receipt.

Gonna go back to Asus, MSI and BFG only.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to OHN
The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I felt like a dummy, but there was nothing I could do...I never registered the card so I lost out.

BTW, no more BFG for you, either...they exited the graphics card market a few months back. Sucks as they were my preferred brand.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

SchmSte8

join:2000-09-02
Milwaukee, WI
reply to OHN
I got my, I think it was an 9800GX2, 2 years ago. I clearly remember having to register it; there was something on the box or in the material that they provide.

I have no idea why they do it that way other than what you said about sending you stuff.

Now, with that out of the way, they did stand behind their warranty. One of the two fans died, so I RMAed it and got a GTX285 back.

Cryptic24
Go Stewie Go Stewie It's Your Birthday
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Corry, PA
reply to OHN
They want you to do it so you can prove that you are the original buyer. Other wise you could sell the card after a year and give the new owner the receipt and then they could turn it in if they have trouble. Just a way for them to get out of the warranty work.

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit
Yeah but the receipt has my name, address, order number, date, phone number, e-mail address. Everything they would need to as proof that I am the original buyer. This would also match what I would provide them for the RMA.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to banditws6
Man that sucks. I had purchased a mobo from BFG and it lasted me a bit. Asus and MSI then I guess.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to OHN
said by OHN:

Does anyone know though what the purpose is of registering it? I am trying to figure out the logic behind it.
To save money, plain and simple.

Many people don't read the fine print and don't register their product, and end up in exactly the same situation you have. By not honoring the warranty on your card, eVGA saves money.

This allows eVGA to offer a lifetime warranty, which increases sales, while keeping the costs down as they get to turn down a lot of the warranty claims.

Companies like to have a way out when it comes to thinks like warranties and rebates. Product registration is one of those ways out.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

2 edits
reply to OHN
said by OHN:

They tell me I dont have the limited lifetime warranty because I did not register the card within 30 days or purchasing it.
I believe that's illegal. I would check with the Federal Trade Commission.

EDIT: It appears that is's OK to require registration if the warranty is a "limited" warranty, which is the case for the OP. I think that's a lousy way to run a business, and I would encourage people to vote with their feet and buy products from other companies.

Details - »www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busines···#titling

cmthru

join:2005-03-19
Rockville, MD
reply to OHN
You ought to look at CA. consumer law. I know that here in Maryland one does not have to 'register' any product to get warranty coverage. All that you need is the original receipt. I've had a couple runarounds with manufacturers until I quoted the law. There's no harm filling out registration forms, just don't answer anything you feel is none of their business.

Hazeleyze

join:2003-05-09
Wauseon, OH
reply to OHN
You might try filing a complaint with the BBB.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to TheMG
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Same thing as the mail in rebates. They count on people not doing what they need to do and save money.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to Bobcat79
Yeah I knew the whole "limited" would be the loophole.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to Hazeleyze
Done.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to OHN
It looks like California does not allow failure to return the card to affect your rights.

quote:
Notice to the consumer that failure to complete and return the card or form does not diminish his or her warranty rights.
»www.bear.ca.gov/forms_pubs/warra···re.shtml

Contact the California Dept of Consumer Affairs to ask and/or file a complaint.

»www.dca.ca.gov/about_dca/contactus.shtml

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to OHN
should have read up on the warranty when you bought it....

not like its a craftsman wrench that broke in two pieces.....

either way, most people when a computer part breaks that eans its time to upgrade.....

OHN

Appleton, WI
Yeah but not when times are tough. Not to mention when you buy the more expensive PC part because if comes with lifetime warranty i.e. video cards, memory.

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
reply to OHN
Ya alot of them do that, you gota read, sign up it is lifetime, don't and it is like 1-2 years. Sucks be nice if newegg pointed that out but as other said you need to read. I register all my crap as soon as it is up and working as I know about that little trick. Saves them money though.

GL buying a new card as (check) I believe almost (if not all) places want you to sign up evga, xfx, bfg, etc etc. PNY I think is "shelf life" lifetime so... worthless.

GL getting a new one I'm about test out xfx's RMA on my 8800gts 640. It has double lifetime meaning it is transferable.

OHN

Appleton, WI
Yeah learned my lesson this time around. Just an expensive one. I think I will let the kids work with the 7900. I do most of my gaming now a days on the PS3 anyways.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20
reply to OHN
Or you could actually take the five minutes to register your product so you'll get the extended limited warranty...
--
The farther one travels, the less one knows.

OHN

Appleton, WI
Not sure to what specifically you are responding to.

I admitted in the very first post that taking a few minutes to register would have saved me the headache. That was my fault.

I did end up registering recently but this does me no good as I would have to do it wihtin 30 days or purchasing the card.

Premium
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ
reply to OHN
said by OHN:

Does anyone know though what the purpose is of registering it? I am trying to figure out the logic behind it. I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff. I dont see how registering trumps the fact you have a receipt.

Gonna go back to Asus, MSI and BFG only.
Generally they do that because some manufacturers only warranty the products to the original purchaser.
--
Sarcasm, confusing stupid people since 1869

Premium
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ
reply to OHN
Here is a thought...

Have you ever thought about filling out the card now and sending it in? Most of the warranty cards I have filled out dont require a receipt attached to them when sending in. Simply fill it out, send it in and wait a month or so and file a claim. Worked for me on a fly rod a few yrs back.
--
Sarcasm, confusing stupid people since 1869

Mchart
First There.

join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

1 recommendation

reply to OHN
Still better then every other company out there. Most other companies only give you a 1 year warranty, and their support is based out of some Asian country. So it's really not much to ask out of the consumer to have them spend 3 minutes filling out an online form to receive lifetime support in return. Even if you don't fill out the thing, you still get 1 year of support anyways - Which is on par with the rest of the companies out there.
--
THIS IS SPENCER. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - I HAVE JOE. RETURNING TO BASE.

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to OHN
This is weird because I had the opposite with eVGA. I found an old card I used. I registered it online when I bought it and it died. I filled out the RMA and sent it in. The same day they got the card they sent me a new one. 10 times better than the one I sent them. Did you register it online? If so go online and log in and click the RMA button from the website. A day later you will get the RMA.

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to OHN
Seeing as I had a GT220 die on me after only having it for 3 months, I'd say that it is very good idea to have it registered within 30 days. I got a new card and it was upgraded to the 1G VRAM model, whereas I'd had the 512 VRAM before. All done in less than a week. Luckily I had an older video card I could use until then. For me, spending $100 on a video card and not have it last more than a year is a big deal for me, since upgrading my computer is done as I have money available.

And yes, I did register that card too.

So the lesson here is to register the product, even if you don't think it's important. Sorry you lost your video card, but maybe it's time for an upgrade anyway.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to OHN
said by OHN:

I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff.
BINGO!
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
said by dvd536:

said by OHN:

I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff.
BINGO!
I haven't seen anything in the mail from EVGA. Maybe because I checked the opt-out button or they choose to send me info via my e-mail, which I don't care about.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to 10825447
Yeah it looks like it. Now understanding that logic, which I cannot blame them for it, why did they not try to help me when I have a receipt that shows my name, address, date of purchase? I can prove that I am the original owner beyond a question of a doubt. If that is the actual logic, then would it not make sense to make an exception to this "policy" when one can prove original ownership?