Search similar:

uniqs
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to 10825447

to 10825447

Re: [Rant] eVGA Limited Lifetime BS

I thought about that. However, I already registered it the day I posted the rant. And I called in when I had to do the RMA. They already know I have had it for some time. In all honesty, I try not to be shady. I just want them to do right by me.
OHN

OHN to AricBrown

to AricBrown
Oh man the pain I feel hearing this. Yes I was looking very forward to them not having any more 8800 GTS and send me something newer. That is part of why I was so upset when I posted the rant.
OHN

OHN to mareastrum

to mareastrum
Normally I welcome having a part die on me so I can upgrade. Except the way things are right now, it is not the best time. Besides, my kids play Sims 2 and Left4Dead so the 7900 works for now. Just hurts to see such an awesome card dead on my desktop.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to OHN

to OHN
I suppose if you were to call back and press them, they might make an exception. I had my card registered, but I had to contact MicroCenter so they could send me a copy of my receipt since the one I had was sent in for the rebate (which I did get, so EVGA does pay those).

The older card I had was an 8400. Good card, just didn't do what I needed it to do now that I spend a lot of time dealing with graphics programs (GIMP, Adobe, etc.).

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender to OHN

Premium Member

to OHN
I used to buy eVGA cards because they had passive coolers on the chipsets I wanted at a fair price.

I just emailed them linking to this thread saying I'd never buy their products again.

It likely won't do anything, but it made me feel better.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to dvd536

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by OHN:

I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff.
BINGO!
No, I never have got anything in the mail from, evga, xfx, asus, pny, all registered. I get e-mails I opted for...

If you ever sign up alot of places ask for your system build, odds are it helps them with marketing etc... they also ask where you bought it from... and they know when at what price... etc etc...

The problem too with saying when it dies it is time to upgrade is the 8800 was one of the most "future proof" cards made due to its huge 320bit bus... not to mention anything newer not only cost cash up front, but the power CO likes it too, a 8800 has 1 pci-e 6pin (recommended 400 watt supply), a small step up (9800gtx) has 2 6 pins (I think a 500), a gtx 470... 1 8pin 1 6pin (600 - 650) these things use more power (not those numbers but they use more)

Thus making more heat, now your AC runs more... it adds if if you are watching your bills.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by 18172841:
said by dvd536:
said by OHN:

I have always thought that registering was so they can start sending you crap in the mail and stuff.
BINGO!
No, I never have got anything in the mail from, evga, xfx, asus, pny, all registered. I get e-mails I opted for.
Course not. the crap you get in the mail is from companies that bought your info that these "must register for warranty" companies sold to them!

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Cryptic24

Premium Member

to Cryptic24
said by Cryptic24:

They want you to do it so you can prove that you are the original buyer. Other wise you could sell the card after a year and give the new owner the receipt and then they could turn it in if they have trouble. Just a way for them to get out of the warranty work.
So why can't I register it and give the 2nd owner my name. When they go to RMA the card after a few years they just use my name and their address.. they say they moved?

It's all BS. Registration is required because people will not register and they can save money by denying otherwise valid warranty claims.
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN to thender

to thender
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

quote:
Garrett Hall
to me

show details 5:28 PM (16 hours ago)

Louis,

We are not able to pull up the forum post that you are refereeing to. Can you please let me know what the issue is?

EVGA has had a 30 day registration requirement since November 2006. This was originally intended to be the requirement when the limited lifetime warranty was launched in June 2005, but the language about the registration requirement was left out mistakenly.

Garrett Hall
Tech Support
mailto:ghall@evga.com
»www.evga.com
2900 Saturn St., Suite B
Brea, CA 92821
714.528.4500 x5057
Fax: 714.528.4501
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN

Thanks man. I responded directly to him
With details.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

thender

Premium Member

He admitted that they have this policy in place but in some cases did not note that registration was required for the warranty.

At the very least, have the courtesy to deny your fuckup & hold up the policy. Don't say "we fucked up and didn't tell you about this policy but are going to bend you over anyway"

evga will never see another dime from myself nor anyone I know that reads this thread. I haven't filled out the registration for any of my products and the few times I've needed warranty service a copy of the newegg receipt was all I needed.

This is fuck shit of the worst kind. screw evga.

Angry C
@st.com

Angry C to OHN

Anon

to OHN
Harry,

I feel your pain. Ironically, I just learned of this 'limited' warranty BS two days ago when I tried to RMA an 8800 GTS that died three days ago.

It is, plain and simple, a 'loop-hole' for them to avoid having to honor warranty claims. Alas, a cold, hard, lesson learned.

I, too, still do not remember anything in the box pointing out that failing to register the card within the 30 day period voids any warranty claims after 1 year.

I was planning on upgrading the card anyways, but wanted to put this card in my older, secondary PC that is shared by other people in the family.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to OHN

Premium Member

to OHN
said by OHN:

I just need to vent a little bit. In the end, part of this issue is my fault but I still think I got screwed.

I purchased a eVGA 8800 GTS video card in 2008 from Newegg. The card came with a limited lifetime warranty.

no display?
or lines on the sreen?
\

oh yes
your 8800gts is worthless

it's onlyworth about 30 to 35$ as a used working one
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN

Being kind of a troll aren't you?

I dont get a display 7-10 times but if it does start, playing a game will cause the machine to shut down completely within 30 seconds or so.
18172841 (banned)
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to OHN

to OHN
Yes full troll, cool $35 for the card, with oooo no warranty... considering the fact you very well could get upgraded from a RMA...

»NO I will not send the Package lol says it all.

I also see no reason to not buy evga, ALL the company's do this to get a LL warranty... sure it be nice to get it free and clear but... hey anyone can start up a card company, and offer LL not tied to signing up, not tied to one owner... so feel free to.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Click for full size
dead cards are only going for 10$ shipped
18172841 (banned)
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned)

said by Anonymous_:

dead cards are only going for 10$ shipped
Um what's the point? Broken crap aint worth anything. lol

Oh noz, a broken hammer is only worth $2!
OHN
Appleton, WI

1 recommendation

OHN

Okay eVga called me after filing the BBB complaint and I am now squared away. They will send me a one time replacement for the card. I am a happy camper. Just sucks I had to be a squeaky wheel.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo to OHN

Premium Member

to OHN
What is the purpose? So they can mail you, and they can sell your information to third parties so they can mail/email/call you too.

It's the name of the game -- and a revenue source for them, too.
Expand your moderator at work

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to OHN

Premium Member

to OHN

said by OHN:

Okay eVga called me after filing the BBB complaint and I am now squared away. They will send me a one time replacement for the card. I am a happy camper. Just sucks I had to be a squeaky wheel.
But they still refuse to honor their boldly advertised "LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!" they offer? Can you register the new card within 30 days?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by joako:

said by OHN:

But they still refuse to honor their boldly advertised "LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!" they offer? Can you register the new card within 30 days?
i was thinking the same thing, i would have "requested" a full monetary refund (i still have receipts from 10 years ago!) because i dont "think" this kind of clause would hold up in court. i could be wrong on that. but they admitted that they shipped some items with out that wording. so how can they hold some one legally to it if the person never saw it?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:
said by OHN:

because when a product line is EOL'd[end of product life] its warranty dies. its the products lifetime, not yours!
OHN
Appleton, WI

OHN to joako

to joako
Yeah that is true. Even though I am happy they are replacing the card, I will still not purchase any more stuff from them. Like you said, in the end it is about the limited lifetime warranty.

The new card only has a 30 day warranty. Either way, that will do for now.
18172841 (banned)
Lagrangeville, NY

1 edit

18172841 (banned) to OHN

to OHN
EVGA really, if ya checking this thread, while it was cheaper, you should have held your ground. Just because one guy wants to cry to the BBB does not mean it should set the precedent everyone should to get their way.
OHN
Appleton, WI

4 edits

OHN

I sure hope you dont work in customer service with that mindset. They also did hold their ground if you think about it. They are only giving me a one-time replacement. They are not giving me the lifetime warranty. I think it was a good business decision. It is not a pissing match. Other than you, nobody else in this thread has shared your same opinion.

BTW, I am having a hard time understanding your posts. One second you call forcing someone to register a "trick" and then next thing you are cracking on them for trying to do right by me.

In my opinion forcing someone to register to receive a lifetime warranty is a BS move. If the logic is to track the original owner, that is nullified by the fact I have a receipt that provides all necessary information. I think it is a loophole as others have suggested. While I still disagree about having to register stuff for warranty, I will do so in the future if required. Fact is I learned my lesson and it came out cheap for eVGA and me.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

Does lifetime mean the lifetime the part exists or the amount of time the part spends being sold through typical retail channels?
Expand your moderator at work

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to thender

Premium Member

to thender

said by thender:

Does lifetime mean the lifetime the part exists or the amount of time the part spends being sold through typical retail channels?
now theres a good question.

one would assume the lifetime of the individual, if the unit fails and is no longer made they should replace it with a similare type product. atleast once. but im betting theres some fine print in there some where stating otherwise.

kind of like brake pads are for the life of the car, not the owner of the car. except if the owner of the car sells it. then its void even tho the car is obviously still in working condition.

loop holes, gotta love them.