Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

Basement door seal and AC ?

I have a basement door with almost a 2 inch gap at the bottom where it meets the hardwood floor. I was wondering if I should get a door seal for the bottom. I know basements are usually always the coolest part of a house, but mine seems to be cooler. I checked with a match and there is an air draw at the bottom. I guess that would make the air conditioner run more since cold air descends?

My AC unit is 15+ years old maybe even 20. I hope to replace it next month along with the heater, my buddy is working a estimate now.

Thanks for the help.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Maybe yours is so cool because you are conditioning it You have to find out why you have a negative pressure down there first.

As for sealing the door, I would be careful: Do you have any naturally aspirated fuel burning devices down
there? Hot water? Furnace? Dryers? (I remember you posting about your possibly noisy Kenmore)

Fir_Na_Tine
Premium Member
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by jrs8084:

Maybe yours is so cool because you are conditioning it You have to find out why you have a negative pressure down there first.

As for sealing the door, I would be careful: Do you have any naturally aspirated fuel burning devices down
there? Hot water? Furnace? Dryers? (I remember you posting about your possibly noisy Kenmore)
Yes I have a natural gas furnace, HW heater and dryer down there. I am sure theres air flow there since my house was built in 1952 and the crickets find there way in every summer One of these days I will replace the basement windows with screen ones.

Could the negative pressure be from the blower itself? I believe it draws the air from the basement.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Could the negative pressure be from the blower itself? I believe it draws the air from the basement.
I've wondered the same thing, is the space below the basement door an integral part of the home HVAC system, or do the cold air returns provide all the necessary circulation?

At my house we have a gas hot water heater, and a gas furnace.

Fir_Na_Tine
Premium Member
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by talz13:
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I've wondered the same thing, is the space below the basement door an integral part of the home HVAC system, or do the cold air returns provide all the necessary circulation?

At my house we have a gas hot water heater, and a gas furnace.
I was told newer HVAC systems draw their intake air from the outside. But older systems like mine draw from wherever they are located. I put a rolled up towel at the bottom of the door. It does seem like it makes a difference and it doesn't run as much, or maybe just my imagination.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Fir_Na_Tine See Profile I probably wouldn't worry too much as my '53 house probable breathes as easily as yours. But, in the next next month when you get your HVAC folk out, I would point this out. You would want your system to draw air in through the returns without creating a draft under this door. Yes, with proper ductwork and returns, you can keep your conditioned space separate.

Fir_Na_Tine
Premium Member
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by jrs8084:

Fir_Na_Tine See Profile I probably wouldn't worry too much as my '53 house probable breathes as easily as yours. But, in the next next month when you get your HVAC folk out, I would point this out. You would want your system to draw air in through the returns without creating a draft under this door. Yes, with proper ductwork and returns, you can keep your conditioned space separate.
Will do. My friend and his brother work for the same HVAC company and are going to put in my system on the side. He's working on a estimate now and pricing things out for a few different options. I'll point that out to him. Not sure what size AC and heater to get yet.