how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

Oiling HVAC blower motor

The blower motor in my furnace hasn't been oiled in 14 years. What kind of oil should I use and how much do I put in?

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Dennis See Profile uses 5w20 »The 2nd annual "I oiled my furnace blower motor w/ car oil"

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

You want one of these:

»www.zoomspoutoiler.com/

Not only is it the right oil, it has a sweet 12" filler spout that makes getting to both bearing fillers -very- easy. I always carry two on my truck..

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Tyreman

join:2002-10-08
Canada

Best lil oiler aound

Crescent
Premium
join:2003-01-22
canada
reply to Bobcat79

Advice from an Industrial Mechanic. (Me)

If the bearing is dry, and you Must keep it running, do not wait, use any oil around. (motor oil, olive oil, bacon fat)
Then re-lube it later with the right stuff.
One exception, Do not use gear oils for hypoid gears. (the extreme pressure additives are corrosive to brass/bronze.)

If you are not sure what to use you can rarely go wrong with Dextron automatic transmission fluid. (a light oil that is good for bearings, sliding bushings, heat dissipation, hydraulic oil.) Generally a great Everything oil.

Hydraulic oil, air compressor oil are also a good simple general everything oil.

If you are looking for a good very thin light oil, air tool oil works well too.

Motor oils have so many additives it will make your head spin, so I keep them for engines.

For around the house, non critical application grease, I use Vaseline. Or better yet a food grade grease available at Industrial supply stores. (much more hand friendly)

Maybe more info than you were looking for, but there you go.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

I dont want to Hijack your thread but Can you oil a Sealed Motor? I got a Duct Inducer that sounds like it needs oil but it says not to?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
Carnegie, PA

I`ll agree ATF is a damn good oil, I have used it to restore quite a few seized bearings, most of which are still running today.

Yes you can oil a sealed motor, if you can get to the bearing. sometimes that entails drilling into the bearing retainer housing with a tiny bit, -very- carefully. Then I usually use a syringe (with needle), and inject the ATF slowly.

good luck

-j
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit

A lot of these "permanently lubricated" blower motors I've seen you can oil easily by removing the motor end bells, which grants you full access to the bearings and the spongy material that soaks up the oil.

There's actually nothing permanent about a permanently lubricated motor. All it means is the motor has some form of oil storage, most commonly in the form of a spongy/wick type material around the bearing, which is supposed to last the life of the motor but as we all know that is almost never the case. Motors don't have a set "life", they can last damn near forever if properly cared for.

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

What you say may be true (I've never tried it), but do you think most homeowners are going to go through the hassle of completely removing blower and condenser fan motors, remove the motor end bells, oil the "permanently lubricated" bearings, reassemble the motors and re-install them? I'm in the HVAC business and I don't do that on my own equipment.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by SandShark:

What you say may be true (I've never tried it), but do you think most homeowners are going to go through the hassle of completely removing blower and condenser fan motors, remove the motor end bells, oil the "permanently lubricated" bearings, reassemble the motors and re-install them? I'm in the HVAC business and I don't do that on my own equipment.
Yeah, most people would rather just spend the money to replace the motor and be done with it.

I guess I'm the exception, I like to keep things running as long as practically feasible. I don't agree with today's "throw-away" mentality.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
Carnegie, PA

To elaborate, 2wks ago the window-mount exhaust fan at my camp seized up. Had used it about 2mo ago, but the blades wouldnt move when I had tried it. Think it may have gotten a bit wet during a storm, and damaged the bearing. Sealed ones, of course.

Took the fan apart, had to drill a 1/16" hole in one end of the motor cap to get at the bearing, but the forward bearing was visible. Took a hypo syringe I got from a friend whos diabetic, filled it with ATF, and injected about 50cc's into each bearing, with a little working, both freed up.

Was a 150$ dayton exhaust fan, only 2yrs old. Saved.

-j
--

mudturtle74

join:2007-06-29
Killen, AL
reply to Bobcat79

3-in 1 electric motor oil at Lowe's

»tinyurl.com/37a49cd