Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2

Re: The business mentality...

said by fiberguy2:

(This tactic is often used and invalid.)
This is a debate, not an argument. How is asking for supporting evidence invalid?
In a debate, one presents a premise and supports that premise with evidence. Without evidence, a premise is just an opinion.
I haven't disagreed with anything you said, I simply asked you to support your opinion. If you can't, or won't do that then I will consider your post as simply another release of hot air.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Hey.. guess what.. the sky is blue and has clouds that float around from time to time. Also, roads are made of concrete while some are made with blacktop... did you also know that many large body commercial jets fly at about 30,000 feet or more? Cars run on unleaded fuel these days... most American homes have grass growing in their front years... and to top it all off, I'm not going to post any links supporting my statements.. it must all be hot air release.

No... seriously, what you're doing is saying that if I don't or won't post something to support, as you say, my "opinion" then it's just that.. an opinion. In debate, or argument, the worth of my time isn't necessary to facilitate the posting of links to research, etc. - to which some of that data very well is available for payment which I'm not going to do. What you're doing, quite honestly, is trying to win a "debate" by default, which doesn't work.

If that were the case, this ENTIRE site is nothing more than a release of hot air (which isn't further from the truth sometimes, but besides the point)...

But, in the weighing of the matters at hand, quite honestly, if you think that social network sites have "improved" the quality of life for people and communications and related skills, and not harmed it, one only has to look at the fact that there are anti-cyber bullying laws on the books and more coming all the time. More and more "privacy controls" and blocking options have to be introduced regularly... so on and so forth.. the anonymity of the internet has actually created quite a bit of cause for concern these days... information to easily available, I'm sorry to inform you, is not necessarily a good thing. People also haven't realized that you can, should or do say online versus what you say in public and many people believe that you can say things in 160 chars or less and that's a valid form of communication. Sorry... for this and many other reasons, I don't need to post links. It's not just my "opinion" as you stated...

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

Debate and logic have existed since the early Greeks and the "rules" still apply because they make sense.
Increasing the amount of anecdotal material doesn't support your argument. You could have posted supporting material in half the time it took you to excuse your faulty logic.
If you can't support an argument, don't make it.
Expand your moderator at work
Thespis

Thespis

Premium Member

Re: The business mentality...

said by fiberguy2:

I'm not going to argue with someone who is clearly un-educated.
Wow. An ad hominum attack, a straw man and an inductive leap all in one post. A trifecta of illogical arguments.
Uneducated? You can't even spell uneducated. Now that's funny...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by Thespis:
said by fiberguy2:

I'm not going to argue with someone who is clearly un-educated.
Wow. An ad hominum attack, a straw man and an inductive leap all in one post. A trifecta of illogical arguments.
Uneducated? You can't even spell uneducated. Now that's funny...
Isn't it, though?