uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanD7
Premium
join:2009-07-17
Needham, MA

[MA] Massachusetts license plates

I have a "greenie", and will be forced to part with it very soon. :-(

Does anyone else think that it is strange that Massachusetts has not had a license plate redesign in over 20 years? And even stranger that with all the controversy over faded, cracked "greenie" plates, that the registry just won't do a total reissue?

"The Spirit of America"? How often do you see that printed on any other vacation brochures?

It is time for a total recall of all PAN-type plates...

This will free up all number/letter combos, and make it so that a license plate is easier to remember.

Give me the nnn-nnn, nnn-aaa or nnnn-aa format

It wasn't that long ago that NY phased out their Liberty plates -- but yet, they are doing ANOTHER reissue (of the "golden" plates). When their registration is up, they are forced to get the new plates. RI, NH, and ME also did a total reissue within the past 10 or 15 years (not sure about VT).

Thoughts?

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
it's just a license plate.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to DanD7
Click for full size
We in Maine have had several redesigns on "basic" plate design in the last few years. Along with additions to what we are able to get for plates. I have two cars, both cars have the same reg number "PG3" but because one is the "basic plate" ("passanger", on the list) and the other is a "conservation" plate I am able to use the same PG3 on two cars!

The image is what we are able to choose from.

(Click image 2x for readable image)

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to DanD7
Green plates? How last century!
Spirit of Massachusetts make me think of Mike Dukakis driving a tank...

DanD7
Premium
Needham, MA
Well, I was forced to part with my "greenie" today... but at the last minute, decided to get another type of "greenie" -- the Celtics plate to support Children's Hospital.

I also like the fact that it doesn't say "Spirit of America" on it...

WYXX

join:2009-12-21
Riverside, RI
reply to DanD7
Yes, New York is switching to the golden plates. However my friend who lives in New York says they aren't mandatory anymore, after the state got a lot of outcry about how ugly they are.

A little tip about Mass. Did you know the last number in the plate is the month of expiration. (i.e. a plate with the number 1234 DL expires in April). I am not sure if the newest plate combinations do this, but the red plates up to the last issue did.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
This only applies to passenger vehicles. I have an amateur radio plate, and it has to be renewed every November.
--
-Frosty, KB1PVK

WYXX

join:2009-12-21
Riverside, RI
reply to DanD7
Your right, I had to do the same with my ham radio plates too in Mass!

I don't know what RI does for these plates, I believe they are treated as just vanity plates.

DanD7
Premium
Needham, MA
reply to WYXX
I thought I replied to this last night, but perhaps I didn't submit it...

In Massachusetts, passenger plates expire in 2-year intervals, with the last digit being the month of expiration (1=January, 2=February,... 0=October). There are a few "special" type of plates that expire annually.

Vanity plates expire every year, in November (and there is no month in the upper left).

Commercial plates expire in December.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to DanD7
Years ago the first few digits ID'd the issuing registry and/ or home-town.

I still recommend the Blue Plate Special...

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DanD7
Mass was not the only state with a 20 year no redesign. New York just redid their plates to the old blue and orange use again so there is still hope for us in MA.

I also read an article not to long ago that RMV clerks were wrong and the Greeny plates were still valid and did not have to be turned in.
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***