uniqs
share rss forum feed

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

2 edits

I got call today .. 400 gb last month

I got a call from Comcast tonight.

Last 3 months ... 400gb, 330gb and 418gb.

She ask me if I do p2p, is my wireless secured, etc etc. I told her some and hulu in HD, youtube in HD, all my bandwidth gone.

I told her 250gb is not enough and I might have to go back to ATT DSL. She said 'try' and 'we hate to loose you'.

She said 99% of people dont go over 250gb. OK, let me come to your house and I can show you what you can download and do with that little bandwidth.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
There's nothing little about 250 GB. You'll be missed.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

boy

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

reply to chong67
Just get a DSL connection to run your torrents and use Comcast for everything else... =)

chong67

Jonesboro, GA

2 edits
I dont mine using ATT DSL. I actually get 6.4 mb download and I on my computer 16 hrs a day. More than enough to bust 800gb download with no problem if I choose to download that much every hour.

But the upload speed is only 350 kb. I would be even happy with a 1mb upload speed, but its not!

Also with 350kb speed, my video call on Skype will be jerky on my end.

I just have to stop upload maybe until the last 5 days of the month to see how much I have left.

My motherboard got 2 ethernet jack. Is that what its for? One for DSL and other for Cable Modem? Can it work like this?

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to chong67
Funny how willing they are to lose customers over this issue. You'd think they'd rather have your money.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
reply to chong67
You could always switch up to business class and loose the cap...

»business.comcast.com/internet/plans.aspx

chong67

Jonesboro, GA
Comcast is never afraid of no business.

They are going to get even bigger if regulators allow them to buy NBC. What are these people thinking!

I am not going to pay more to get their business class. I migh just have to get ATT DSL 6.0 mbps for $19.95 per month. I just dont like their upload speed at 350 kbps.

chong67

Jonesboro, GA
reply to SpottedCat
The other question is the more people that download, the slower their network is for everybody.

Is that for everyone in a subdivision? I doubt seriously that I am hurting anyone downloading in my neighourhood. My neighourhood is not high class.

Also Comcast maybe can do something like a free buffet for anyone to download unlimited say like between midnight and 6 am? Of course this is fantasy.

rwong48

join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA
reply to chong67
550, 320, 254, 258 for me. I don't have any other (reasonable, and by that I mean not satellite) providers available in my neighborhood so I'm switching to Business as soon as I get warned.

That or I could actually curb my usage. I find that impossible though, seeing how this is already a "curbed" version of my desired usage

Unfortunately I could hit 240GB on a 768kbps connection in a month.. and probably more when including upload.
»www.google.com/search?q=768+kilo···+1+month

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to chong67
said by chong67:

The other question is the more people that download, the slower their network is for everybody.
This is a fallacy. With proper packet shaping (which Comcast has already admitted to doing) the heaviest users on a busy node can receive a lower priority so that only they are impacted.

Comcast shouldn't send customers away just because of their inability to properly manage their network. Or at the very least they should offer higher caps for a bit more money, without going to a "business account" which is more involved in setting up.

(Disclaimer: I have a business account. "What cap?" is what I usually say. But I've come to like Comcast's network so far and wish they would provide alternatives for their "excessive usage" customers other than "Bad doggie. No toy for you. I will crate you for a year if you do this again!")

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to SpottedCat
said by SpottedCat:

Funny how willing they are to lose customers over this issue. You'd think they'd rather have your money.
If they have 16 million customers, and .1% are "high users", those 16,000 arent as big of a hit moneywise. If 30% of the customers were going over, they would have to reevaluate.

chong67

Jonesboro, GA
reply to chong67
Their cheapest business internet at 12/2 is $60 from what I see.

Well, I dont know. Right now ATT DSL is offering $19.95 per mth for 1 yr.

So I think Comcast is doing all these for money. It has nothing to do with degrading their network for those that download alot.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to chong67
I struggle keeping it under 250gb also. Last month i hit 249GB.

I refuse to give them more money for business class, and they're the only ISP faster than 3mbps download in my area.

I end up hitting about 200gb before the 15th and then have to slow down my usage drastically to keep it under 50 for the remaining month.

This is definitely nothing more than a scheme to get more people to switch to business class, or lose the customers [ab]using their connections.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to chong67
There is some kind of cap? First I heard of it.
--
-meh

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to chong67
said by chong67:

Also Comcast maybe can do something like a free buffet for anyone to download unlimited say like between midnight and 6 am? Of course this is fantasy.
So what were you thinking, maybe like a Cracker Barrel or something?

KookyMan

join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI

1 edit
reply to chong67
What I think is a real joke is the fact that they have a 250GB cap, but they keep pushing higher and higher speeds.

Sure... Fast is nice, but if you don't have the throughput to really use it what's the point?

I did some math a little while ago, and this is kind of frightening:

Assuming a constant use of bandwidth (Yes, I know, 99.99999% of users don't constant use their full allotment, but look at the numbers)
Cap / Speed = Time to utilize the entire cap.
(250 gigabytes) / (768 kbps) = 31.6049383 days =
(250 gigabytes) / (1.5 Mbps) = 15.8024691 days = 379.259258 hours (Or 12.6 Hours / Day)
(250 gigabytes) / (6.0 Mbps) = 3.95061728 days = 94.8148147 Hours (Or 3 Hours/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (12.0 Mbps) = 1.97530864 days = 47.4074074 Hours (Or 1.6 Hours/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (18.0 Mbps) = 1.31687243 days = 31.6049383 hours (Or 1 Hour/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (24.0 Mbps) = 23.7037037 hours
(250 gigabytes) / (50.0 Mbps) = 11.3777778 hours
(250 gigabytes) / (100.0 Mbps) = 5.68888889 hours

I know it seems like a lot of numbers but for your average user, it looks like 6.0Mpbs speeds are your best friend. Some might be safe at 12, but keep in mind this only accounts for downstream, and once you pass 12Mbps, its very difficult to actually saturate your feed for your typical home user. Most servers won't provide data at that rate, and then your just paying for what you can't use. (Granted torrents and other peer to peer will saturate you, and provided you can be saturated, the above will demonstrate how long until you are at your cap.)

I think that 250gb is a absolute joke, especially considering they keep pushing faster and faster speeds.
--
I miss my dial-up modem... It was an error correcting modem... I seem to have so many typo's lately.....

Edit: Just read something in a fresh reply. I'd love some un-metered time in the wee hours, low use. I think it would be great for those of us who like to seed Linux Distros that we use and download. One thing I've never gotten though, my understanding of peering arrangements between L1/L2/L3 ISPs usually is a What I download from your network - What You download from my network = How much I pay/bill you for per month. I'm surprised that Comcast doesn't try to increase their Uploads to start and offset some of this.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to chong67
Theoretically, you could use two ISPs, and set up a bridged connection. BUT, the easier route may be, if you are considering spending more money on a second ISP, just bump the residential serivce to commercial service. That way, you get the faster speeds, and dont have to worry about caps at all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to chong67
Just wait ATT wants to put a 5gb cap + overage on dsl
you'll see

comcast's 250GB soft cap with warrning after repeated months of going over is not anywhere near as bad

KookyMan

join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI
I've not heard anything on ATT Capping, granted, I've been following Uverse much more closely as I'm trying to switch. I can get practically the same speed, minus Powerboost (oh well), plus the ability to run servers and no caps.
--
I miss my dial-up modem... It was an error correcting modem... I seem to have so many typo's lately.....

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
reply to KookyMan
said by KookyMan:

What I think is a real joke is the fact that they have a 250GB cap, but they keep pushing higher and higher speeds.

Sure... Fast is nice, but if you don't have the throughput to really use it what's the point?

I did some math a little while ago, and this is kind of frightening:

Assuming a constant use of bandwidth (Yes, I know, 99.99999% of users don't constant use their full allotment, but look at the numbers)
Cap / Speed = Time to utilize the entire cap.
(250 gigabytes) / (768 kbps) = 31.6049383 days =
(250 gigabytes) / (1.5 Mbps) = 15.8024691 days = 379.259258 hours (Or 12.6 Hours / Day)
(250 gigabytes) / (6.0 Mbps) = 3.95061728 days = 94.8148147 Hours (Or 3 Hours/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (12.0 Mbps) = 1.97530864 days = 47.4074074 Hours (Or 1.6 Hours/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (18.0 Mbps) = 1.31687243 days = 31.6049383 hours (Or 1 Hour/day of saturation)
(250 gigabytes) / (24.0 Mbps) = 23.7037037 hours
(250 gigabytes) / (50.0 Mbps) = 11.3777778 hours
(250 gigabytes) / (100.0 Mbps) = 5.68888889 hours

I know it seems like a lot of numbers but for your average user, it looks like 6.0Mpbs speeds are your best friend. Some might be safe at 12, but keep in mind this only accounts for downstream, and once you pass 12Mbps, its very difficult to actually saturate your feed for your typical home user. Most servers won't provide data at that rate, and then your just paying for what you can't use. (Granted torrents and other peer to peer will saturate you, and provided you can be saturated, the above will demonstrate how long until you are at your cap.)

I think that 250gb is a absolute joke, especially considering they keep pushing faster and faster speeds.
--

Thats with the assumption that people are constantly running the connection though. The "average user" (not counting anyone here on DSLR) goes to a website to read a story, email, fantasy football, whatever, and may be at one website for a period of time, thus not eating bandwidth.

Thats also under the assumption that even if people are doing significany downloading (torrents), that the connection is running at full speed all the time, which we know is rarely the case.

I am not in defense of the cap entirely though, I do agree that the 50 and 100 cap levels should be reevaluated. I think at this point though, the jusitification is that those speed levels are targeted as business', thus, capless.

MOWAA

join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

Are you of the mind that 640k memory is all we will ever need?

Seriously our business can go thru 250gb in week let alone a month, but since were subscribed to the Business plan I never have to worry about it.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
said by MOWAA:

said by Cabal:

Are you of the mind that 640k memory is all we will ever need?

Seriously our business can go thru 250gb in week let alone a month, but since were subscribed to the Business plan I never have to worry about it.
thats why your a business, and bought the right plan.....he meant for personal use

chong67

Jonesboro, GA

2 edits
reply to chong67
Countless way you can increase your usage ...

*Subscribe to MLB.tv and others. NFL? Use to watch Wimbleton livecast.
*Watch hulu and youtube in hd
*I like to watch tv show I miss so I do torrent. Commerical got edited out. How nice.
*I watch "Australian Chef" and "Britain Got Talent" and have to download it. I dont think FCC wants to show that here.

Many more.

Thats what I told this lady on the phone last night. She told me to 'try' and cap it under 250mb.

America, be like that 1%. Go ahead and download more!

Do 'extend' monitor and watch all these shows on your HDTV thru HDMI. You can do audio thru your computer speaker or thru your HDMI. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and its like doing PVR.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

you'll see

comcast's 250GB soft cap with warrning after repeated months of going over is not anywhere near as bad
We're not talking about the wireless side of ATT and tethering.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

3 edits
said by Alcohol:

said by DarkLogix:

you'll see

We're not talking about the wireless side of ATT and tethering.
NOR AM I

I'm not going to go hunt it down but I know that ATT has said (although they don't say it offten) that they plan to put a cap on hardwired internet service (and it would be around 5-10GB) you'll see when the day comes

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
I believe AT&T for now has decided to discontinue their metered billing trial. It was tiered based on the plan and was being trailed in two markets if I remember correctly.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
ok thanks
I had read on it and am fairly sure that when they said they were stopping they said something about coming back later (like they're waiting for the heat to die off)

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
Metered billing, in some form, is inevitable as demonstrated by this and similar threads.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
its not inevitable but people need to watch out and raise a stink on metered billing (not to be confused with comcast's non-billed metering)

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Be very careful what you ask for. History repeats itself...