share rss forum feed

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to axeman61

Re: DSL light blinking on SS 5360 modem... do I need a new one?

I'd suggest working with the Direct Forum techs and layout your concerns as you have done here. Then you can see what they may be able to determine. Also, I'd suggest trying a long phone cord (UTP - not the flat 4 wire, but twisted pair) so that the Modem is at the PC so that the cord can go to the closest window above/near the NID and then drop outside and hook direct to the NID. You can then try testing for loss like that for 24 to 48 hours. You can have a line splitter/DSL filter so that the Modem can share one phone.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

axeman61

join:2010-08-05
reply to axeman61

Upon telling ATT of the NID thing, I got them to run another test on the line and they sent a tech out today. He, too, said I might just be too far out and need to downgrade.

So, I caved and did it. It should go through tomorrow. 3 Mbps wasn't so bad; it's just that at the time I got 6Mbps, I had gotten so many deals grandfathered in over my ATT history that it was only 10 bucks more a month at the time. It was good while it lasted, but if this fixes things after all the stuff those techs did, so be it.

If it doesn't... all the anger I've suppressed in dealing with ATT's tech support will melt this city.

axeman61

reply to axeman61

No one's replied in my Direct thread yet.

Aaaaaaand.... the downgrade only half worked. It's still early, but I'm speedtesting, and my connection is showing results of less than half the speed I was getting just yesterday. It's looking like the downgrade went though.

The stability I got from this isn't what I was expecting. The blinkouts occur less frequently, and the service will pop back up in a minute without me having to do the phone trick. I can surf more regularly than I could, and that's a good START. But for me to have nuked the DSL price I had to get half the speed I was getting at basically that same price, I expected the end to my problems.This just knocked them down a mighty mite. If I went on PSN with this connect, I'll still be getting kicked off left and right.

I knew I shouldn't have backed down. Maybe this needs to time to stabilize or something. I don't know. One thing I'm thinking though:
I live in Flint, MI. Does anyone know if there's a better DSL provider than ATT here? After this past week and a half, I'm seriously thinking of switching over. As of right now I'm on a 3 Mbps package and it costs 35 a month. That's for connection reference.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

If or when a line has a intermittent high open fault, changing (if possible) to another DSL provider still leaves you with a intermittent high open line that needs repair/replacement. So that really doesn't address the copper loop issue. If the loop isn't stable, the DSL will never be stable. Even lowering the speed does not correct the underlying line issue.

Give the Direct Forum a few days to respond as they sometimes get a backlog of help requests over the weekend and that takes a few days to catch up with.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

axeman61

3 edits
reply to axeman61

Got another tech coming out tomorrow after reporting the problem to AT&T.

This entire situation sucks. Before I upgraded to the 6Meg, discounts over the years had us paying 26 bucks for the 3Meg. Now we'll be paying 35. I got a modem that, while nice, I didn't have to get, and I could end up paying something if this tech does find fault in the wiring.

The ONLY good thing about this situation is that I had plenty of time to deal with all this stuff. Even if my internet is more stable than before the problem after this, I don't know if it'll feel like it was worth it. So many hours invested into this.

Edit: Tech came today. Right after I set up the meet, he called and said it was possible to meet today. I still don't get how that works. With all the info I gave him on previous tech meets and my NID test, he went down and played with the wires. He basically said he didn't know what it was and to wait it out for a while. Since he WAS the technician scheduled to come tomorrow, he gave me his cellphone number to call him and get him back down here.
I mentioned the "high open"/"dirty open" thing to him, and he said if it was that, I would have heard static in the line (there never was any). He didn't do that much downstairs; most of his work was testing the line outside and looking at things in the computer room like all the other techs. I still feel that inside wiring is the problem, but what if it isn't? What could it possibly be after all this?

axeman61

reply to axeman61

I had set up another tech meet with the guy from yesterday, but he passed on my ticket to another guy who came by and made drastic changes: he installed a splitter at the NID, and drilled a hole in my wall to make another phone jack dedicated solely to DSL. Things are FAR more stable than yesterday, but I still occasionally get blinkouts. I get knocked off of Playstation Network every other game, but that's almost normal. I heard this "homerun" was supposed to bypass all internal wiring and fix most problems. With all the stuff that's happened in the house over the past week and a half*, am I supposed to give this time to "settle", or is something wrong? The guy said to call the previous tech if things act up.

*that stuff, for review:
-Techs tinkering with the "main" phone wires downstairs.
-The installation of a whole house filter (that may be a splitter) downstairs, which may have isolated the DSL before (this new isolation gives my modem direct feed to the NID though).

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

A Home Run is a permanent way of bypassing all inside wiring as seen in the image above. The Whole House Splitter isolates/separates the DSL signal from the rest of the inside wiring. If the loss of sync/loss of connection problems continue after the Home Run with Splitter is installed then it isn't the inside wiring anymore as it is on permanent bypass.
--

axeman61

reply to axeman61

Forgot to update this. They did a couple things at the C. Office:

-Switched my port on their router
-Changed my Tie Pairs (?)

The second one seems to have done the trick.

Things seem very stable now. More than even before I got this problem. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if anything else needs to be done. If not, I'll try to use my old Actiontec modem (they had me hook up a 2 wire for better trouble shooting). If nothing's wrong, I'll kind of mark this as solved and edit the first post with everything that happened.